Which would you choose lapband or rny?

darnell239
on 1/2/08 2:10 am - Columbia, SC
Most of you out there who frequent this board is somewhat familiar with situation.  I had the mini-gastric bypass 8 years ago this month.  I have since regained about 75% of my weight back and I am trying to get a revision.  For those of you *****commend I look into the DS I already have.  If I knew 8 years ago what I know now I would have sought that procedure to begin with.  However, my bmi is not high enough for a  DS (bmi 39) and there is no doctor in my state who performs this procedure.  I cannot afford to self pay and I want to have after care close to my home.   I have a doctor's appt on Jan 16th to discuss what is the best route to go for my situation.  The doctor I am using has performed RNY surgeries for about 7 years he has been doing the lapband for about 1 year.  I have been told that a lapband over a previous bypass is more technically difficult.  I know the surgeon I am using has performed revisions on the previous surgery I had in the past.  I am somewhat leaning towards the lapband because I believe I will not have to worry about a stretched pouch 2-3 years down the road.  I would like to hear input from anyone out there.
Shawnta H.
on 1/2/08 4:39 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Darnell, I would recommend RNY just ask your surgeon to make you distal.  I regained with my RNY but i know it was my failure not he procedure.  I actually have three friends that had the RNY over 8 years ago that maintained their weight but unlike me they didn't start drinking soda and eating whatever they wanted.  Therefore as long as you follow the rules I think you will do very well with the RNY. Good Luck Shawnta
darnell239
on 1/2/08 6:31 am - Columbia, SC
Shawnta, First of all, glad to hear your surgery went well.  Did you experience alot of pain right after surgery?  I know what you mean about drinking the soda's if I end up with a RNY this time I will leave the sodas alone.  I've learned my lesson the hard way.
Shawnta H.
on 1/2/08 10:19 am - Ellicott City, MD
Darnell, I did have some pain the first few days but now I feel ok just a little sore around my incision but I have not taken any pain medication since I left the hospital.  The more I move around the better I feel.   Oh  yeah and soda is the DEVIL I would leave it alone no matter which procedure I had. Good luck with choosing your revision.  I don't really think it matters which one you get just so long as it produces the desired results. S
Suzanna N.
on 1/3/08 1:02 am - Ocala, FL
Oh  yeah and soda is the DEVIL I would leave it alone no matter which procedure I had.
I agree with this 100%! And I don't care how many people, doctors or nutritionist say soda is OK after a WLS. < most of them don't however. My personal experience tells me SODA (or carbonation in general) is a RNY killer. And  in bold letters across my post op diet plan. ...It says.... NO CARBONATION...EVER. Suz
Shawnta H.
on 1/3/08 9:54 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hey Suz, Can you say Street Gang?  LMAO S
Suzanna N.
on 1/3/08 10:08 am - Ocala, FL
S, You are too funny!
SophieGrace
on 1/2/08 5:55 am - IL
RNY, no question. I've seen far more people happy with that than the band. To each his/her own, but I wouldn't do the band for anything.
melati
on 1/3/08 10:53 pm - Miami, FL
I drink diet soda--so far so good 4ys out
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/08 7:50 am - Brampton, Canada
I picked the lapband because I did not want the RNY and find after a year or two that my pouch stretched out like a lot of RNYers I know.  I love my band because my restriction stays good with my fills.  I also did great with my stapling with the VBG until the staple line disrupted and my stomach stretched back out.  Everyone is different though and I am not familiar with mini-gastric bypass and revisions. Look into the research as much as you can and definitely pick a surgeon you have the utmost confidence in and the expertise to handle a revision.  Best wishes on what ever surgery you decide on.
Most Active