VBG Revision

getinther
on 12/31/07 2:08 am - AL
Has anyone had a VBG revision?  If so, how involved is it?  Also, is anynone familiar with doctors in the Atlanta, Georgia area who perform them? Thanks
Ms Janet
on 12/31/07 4:38 am - Star City, NE
I had a VBG in 1992, but in 1993 the staples had to be removed due to an ulcer.  In 2006, I had a revision to an RNY.  I know others have had successful revisions, but mine was not.  I was in the hospital 445 days and nearly died a couple of times.  I still have problems and will need yet another surgery in a few months. Make sure your surgeon is experienced with the revision from VBG to RNY!!!  It has to be open surgery - no lap for you.  I would not tell you to avoid the surgery, but based on my bad experience, I would advise you to do lots of research and make sure your surgeon is experienced. Good luck!

Janet 

getinther
on 12/31/07 5:30 am - AL
thanks,  I won't be making any quick decisions.  My general doctor referred me to Emory in Atlanta, so we'll see what happens.  Thanks again for your honest response and good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/07 11:02 pm - Brampton, Canada
I had a revision from VBG/87 to a Lapband/06.  My Lapband surgeon is one of the best in Canada and as you can see by my ticker I have done fantastic.  I was fortunate in that my surgeon was able to do me lap and I only had to stay in hospital one night.  If you decide to have a revision to another type of wls make sure you only use a doctor who is very experienced in performing revisions.  They will have to deal with a ton of scar adhesions and there is the potential for severe complications.  I know a lady who had revision from VBG to DS last April/07 and she ended up with severe complications and is STILL in the hospital 9 months later.  It can happen!  I know another person who just had VBG revision to DS and he is doing fine.  Several people have revisions from VBG to RNY and have had good results though some with a few issues. Try to find a surgeon who is expert in revisions and will provide you with references and contact info from patients who have had revisions with him/her.  Make sure they provide excellent aftercare and support.
getinther
on 1/1/08 5:25 am - AL
Thanks for the valuable information.  I will keep you posted.  Have a safe and happy new year!
candyshoe
on 1/1/08 11:14 am - Kokomo, IN
I just had a revison 2 weeks ago.  I did end up in ICU a day after the surgery for about 3 days, but my kidneys were shutting down and my blood pressure was very low. Nobody knows for sure why that happened, because I came out of the surgery with no problems....it usually takes about 1-1/2 hours and mine took 1 hr.  We think that maybe it was because I wasn't hydrated enough......I was on clear liquids for 2 days and I have trouble drinking alot....of course I did have broth and jello, too, but probably not enough.  So if you do have a revision, make sure you aren't dehydrated. Also, I went into the ER Christmas Eve because I had this watery blood just pouring out of me, but it wasn't anything to be concerned about.  Usually it absorbs into the body, but it found a slight hole in my incision and drained out.  It's fine now though.   Good luck with whatever you decide.  I'm like everyone else, make sure you find a good doctor that is experienced in revisions.  Candy
luckycat1
on 1/1/08 11:29 am - Cincinnati, OH
I had a lap rny revision with a fobi pouch in march of 06.  so far I have lost 212 pounds and I am still losing.  I am not sure how much more I want to lose.  research all surgeries and your doctor.  good luck mj
Sarita
on 1/2/08 10:06 am - Winnie, TX
Hi, I had a revision on Nov 30,07 by Dr. Robert Davis of Big Medicine on TLC tv.  He and his son are renoun for their surgerys.  revisions can be done Lap,but not all revisons are alike.  Mine was or should I say turnout to be verycomplicated because the dr. who did the vgb put a mesh binding around my old pouch. It adhered to all major organs and all adhesions had to be carved and cut out. Plus 1/3 of old stomach and old pouch had to be removed.  I'm very lucky I did alot of research in who was the best because I think a surgeon not expercienced enough wouldn't have done a good job.  I did stay in the hospital for 6 days.  All I can tell you know how good your surgeon is and what his rate of success is. I'm  doing very well. I haven't regained all my strength back, but it gets better everyday.  Please do your research and interview, this is a big decision for you. If you have any questions just email me.
SARITA
                  "Love is a tree, and lovers are  the shade quote by rumi
Most Active