Can gastric by pass surgery be reversed?

Jo-Anna B.
on 12/30/07 7:34 am
if so. what do you have to do to get it done? has anyone ever had it reversed? what was the outcome? thanks.....jo-anna
mjc123
on 12/30/07 7:53 am - Midlothian, VA
Whats going on that would make you want to?

Revision Weight Loss Tracker  Mary  

bonnied
on 12/30/07 12:18 pm - St. Albans, VT
Seems as though you have "buyers remorse" At 6 weeks out, life is pretty tough. I know that for me, I was miserable, missed my best friend, FOOD! I couldn't eat, I threw up all the time, it was a miserable existance where I asked myself 20 times per day, what did I do to myself! You wouldn't have gotten the surgery if you didn't truly need it. You should really give it 6 months before making that decision, 6 weeks is not really enough and emotions are driving you right now. Reversals are successful,but many are open and you will still have "tender guts" where it hurst to eat, etc, because they need time to heal. You might as well let the current situation blow over then re-evaluate it, you might change your mind. I wish you all the best, I really know where you are at right now, my life after surgery was really hard too and I was so angry at those who had no problems! Bonnie 264/155
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/07 11:12 pm - Brampton, Canada
Jo-anna, I know you are going through a lot right now - but it is waaaay too early to even consider a revision.  There is no way you would even qualify for a revision from our Ontario Health plan after just having RNY.  Also no surgeon would do a revision I'm sure for at least a year or probably more as it takes a long time for us to heal and we will be forming scar adhesions still. I hope Hagen will fix you up when he sees you if you have a stricture, if you live anywhere west of Toronto also consider coming out to one of the monthly weight loss surgery support groups that Tammy holds at her home in Milton.  They are held on a Sunday afternoon from 1 - 4 pm and a wonderful support with lots of people there from our Obesity Help Ontario forum. Feel better soon!
Jo-Anna B.
on 1/1/08 12:29 am, edited 1/1/08 12:29 am
thanks everyone and happy new year!and i don't drive so i can't go to these meetings. :(
Monica B.
on 1/3/08 5:41 am, edited 1/3/08 5:42 am - Omaha, NE
I can tell you from experience that a DS can.  I had a colon blockage and the surgeon that fixed it decided to revise my DS. In his opinion my channel was too short.  I have now regained 50 pounds and am not a happy camper. I excersise 3-5 days a week, I have cut out all carbs and sugars and luckily my sotmach is still small, so I can eat small amounts of food.  But still I have gained weight.  He has decided it is my genetics and never thought I would regain so much weight. My friends and family have suggested that I sue, I just want to be back the way the was.  But if I have to sue I will just to pay for the surgery to get my DS back. BTW it was not Elariny *****versed me, in fact he was quite upset when I called him about it.  (I moved 1100 miles form home, so I could not see him when I had the blockage) I will tell you this, it is still very soon for you, I am 5 years out and until I was reversed I have been happy camper from 400 pounbds down to 185.  Give yourself and you body time to adjust to what you done to it.  There will come a days when you will look back and say that it was all worth it. Monica
IMSOTIRED
on 1/5/08 12:52 am
I hope you are feeling better about things!!! One thiing I want to say is that you can't compare yourself to these other people on here who were 4-5 hundred pounds when they had the surgery........ it is definately gonna come off  faster for them!! You were only 225 when you started so its pretty normal for it to come off slower.............. but it will come off!!! Make sure you are taking your vitamins......... from my experience when I stopped taking them (for some stupid reason) it lead to some major depression issues which makes life even harder !!! Just be happy everything is gonna get better!!
Most Active