Port remvoal surgery and then surgery to replace port/Anyone else experience this?

Rachael Richardson
on 12/30/07 1:38 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
Hello all, I had  lap band surgery Oct. 24th, and every thing went very well until 8 weeks later when I developed a serious infection in the port area,  was hospitalized for a week, and then had port removal surgery last week.  My band is still in place. Surgeon told me that they can replace port in three months .  As I sit here with an open incision, and exhausted from this whole complication I wonder if anyone else had this issue, and then a new surgery to replace port?   I am terrified of getting an infection again. I hope having a port removed and then replaced is considered a WLS revision?   If not.. sorry for posting here :) 

Donna

Shawnta H.
on 12/30/07 2:06 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Donna, That is not technically a revision sounds more like a repair however there is no reason to be sorry for posting here.  We're all here to give and receive support.  I can't say that I have any experience with this but I am do hope you get it  worked out ASAP because it sounds like a nightmare. Good Luck Shawnta
amyc
on 1/2/08 12:15 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12

You may want to post this on the lap-band board also.     My orginal surgeon thought my port had flipped since he couldn't access my port.   So I had repair surgery, but the port wasn't flipped.   Needless to say I switched to a more experienced surgeon.   My port is at an angle (probably from scar tissue), but my new surgeon has no trouble accesing it. I'm sorry to hear about your infection and I can understand being nervous about getting another one. I'm pretty sure that I"ve seen this problem posted before on the lap-band board so you might find someone there that has went though the same thing. Good luck, Amy

abandster
on 1/2/08 1:38 am
I'm sitting here with an open incision myself.  I, too, had a port infection and had to have the port removed.  The band is in place and the tubing is capped off and my port will be replaced and put in on the other side 6 to 8 weeks from the day it was removed.  I had to pack the incision for a while as it drained and healed from the inide out.  I'll be happy to get it replaced so I can get a fill and stop this eating.  Of course, the holidays didn't help. No, removed and replacement is not a revision but, like the other poster said, no need to apologize.  Reach out for help any where on the board because that's what we're here for. Port infections are not common and the percentage of people who get them is small, compared to the number of bands that are put in. But you and I got lucky, as did my sister and one other person in my support group.  Geez, that's four of us so that looks like a lot, doesn't it?   Fortunately for me, my port was removed in the office with a local anesthetic.  My sister and the other girl had surgery at the out patient center.  One girl was having a tummy tuck at the time so they removed the infected port before that (in the office) and put it back in (on the other side) during her tuck.  My sister fought off the infection but the incision split so she had to go in and have the port moved anyway.  My replacement will be done in the surgery center (out patient). I was hoping the surgeon would open me up, get out al the infection and leave my port in place but he said there was no way to get all that infection out that it would have to be treated and heal from the inside out.  Darn the bad luck, again. But its over and done with now and I'll have a new port soon and can get back on the bandwagon.  In the meantime, if I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to contact me.  I'd be happy to help if I can. La Wanda

Rachael Richardson
on 1/2/08 9:31 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
Hello, Glad to talk someone who can relate thanks for posting.  I was feeling kind of down about being sick and in the hospital while around me persons were getting fills and doing just fine! My incision is now almost closed after having port removal surgery Dec. 18th.  The incision is healing,however, it is not a pretty sight!   My initial incision from the lap band surgery healed beautifully and was very small.  This sucker is large and deformed looking!  They could not use their surgeon skills and close it up nice and pretty due to the infection so it is healing the natural way!  Good news is my surgeon told me today when they replace the port they will fix up the incision.  It took me two weeks to heal from that port removal surgery it was painful. How long did they say you have to wait before they will replace your port?  Is your incision healing ok?    I finished all my antibiotics my mouth the other day how about you?

Donna

abandster
on 1/2/08 7:52 pm

My port removal was done on December 3rd.  My incision is also pretty disgusting looking as my surgeon said when they put back in the new port, they will also fix the scar. 

My surgery wasn't painful at all and he did it in the office.   I have a follow up appointment (my 2nd since the removal) on Tuesday, January 8th and he'll schedule the replacement then.  He said 6 to 8 weeks and its just been a month and the incision is almost closed.   I did take an antibiotic for 10 days (I think it was) and had some liquid loritab for pain meds but onl took that the first night so I could sleep.   So, in the whole scheme of things, I guess we've both done fairly well.  And I don't see any problems with putting the port back in.  I'm 2 years out so it will be like starting the journey over for me but your so new at this, you'll just be getting started for the firs time. Best of luck.  Let me know how it goes.  It IS interesting to find someone who had the same thing done and about the same time.  What are the odds of that? La Wanda

Rachael Richardson
on 1/3/08 5:24 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
I know what are the odds!?  Yes I am just getting started and never had the pleasure of a fill yet so I do not even know what restriction feels like!  I am so nervous about gainning the weight I lost during my post op recovery, and while in the hospital.   I will have to do it the old fashion way, count calories and really be careful.  Is your surgeon replacing  your port in the same location?  My surgeon told me they will place it in a different location.   You seem to have done well with the band since your surgery and lost weight!  So you are an inspiration!

Donna

abandster
on 1/3/08 8:43 pm
Well, thank you, Donna.  I have done fairly well and do hope I'm an inspiration to you.  As a support group leader, I try to reach out and help where I can.  Its just my nature. My port will be placed back in on the OPPOSITE side of my body.  It was on the left and now its going to the right.  I doubt that its ever put back in the very same spot because of the infection that was there. Keep your chin up.  You'll get the new port, start with you fills and pretty soon restriction will be a constant reminder to you that you're banded. Yes, stick with the old fashioned way til you get the port back and get on the way to using your new tool.  And remember that even with the band, its easy to pack on the pounds.  Liquids do not include milk shakes!!!!! La Wanda

Most Active