?? FOR THOSE WHO HAVE REVISED FROM LAPBAND TO RNY

boysclub
on 12/28/07 4:08 am
I am curious to know he experiences of those who had a revision from lapband to rny.  My own experience has not been great and I am trying to gather info. so I have a better understanding.  I'd like to hear others experiences who have gone from lapband to rny. Thanks!

scubadiva
on 12/29/07 6:21 am
What has been your experience?  Why hasn't it been great?  I'm considering going from band to RNY soon.  I actually managed to gain weight with my band.
Brittwoman
on 12/29/07 8:42 am - West Babylon, NY
Read my profile I'm VERY happy with my revision from lap Band to RNY!!!
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

boysclub
on 12/29/07 9:43 am
I got a lapband in 10/02.  I lost about 100 lbs.  I never got to goal, but 100 lbs. made a huge difference.  I had a bunch of complications... broken port, slipped band, hernia, reflux and eventually had to have my band unfilled.  I gained back 40 lbs.  I decided to have band removed and get rny one year ago.  I lost 50 lbs in the first five months and havent lost a pound since.  Some of it is my fault, psychologically, it is difficult to go from a band where my food intake was very restricted to rny where I am able to eat anything.  Part of it is physiological.  My pouch is larger than normal due to scar tissue and I am able to comfortably eat a large quantity with no adverse side effects.  Also, I never feel full for very long. I am having an egd in January.  Not sure what it'll show or where I'll go from here.  I would sure like to lose another 50 lbs., but I dont know that I am up for another major surgery.   I am disappointed with the way this has worked out for me.  I wish I had had the courage to have the rny five years ago.

Jasnsma
on 12/30/07 11:16 am - Las Vegas, NV
Hi There! I had LapBand 6 years ago. I did loose almost 100 pounds, every single time I got a fill, I would get TERRIBLE reflux. So bad I would wake up choking! I took every med there is for reflux and the only thing that stopped it, was taking all the fluid out of the Band. I had to have the Band removed. 4 weeks after letting my tummy heal, I had an UGI to be sure everything was normal, and I wasnt having the reflux from anything but the Band, and sure enuf, a normal UGI. 4 weeks later, I had RNY. Its only ben a few months, but I find its MUCH easier than the Band. I, too, can eat pretty much anything, just a small amount. I wish I had gotten RNY from the beginning as well. Although my weight loss is a bit slow, I didnt have to lose a ton. Good Luck! Ronda
bonnied
on 12/30/07 12:26 pm - St. Albans, VT
I have been a nurse to the "converted" and most of them say the same thing, I wish I'd done this instead of the band!  Sounds like your body just didn't want a foreign object in there! You will struggle after RNY, it is a challenge to get fluids and protein in at the beginning, also pouch issues and learning what doesn't make you sick, etc can get on your nerves.  For me the first 6 months was the worst! All I can say to that is baby steps! Your surgeon and office staff will give you tips on what to eat after surgery etc, believe them..ok? they really do know what they are doing! Sorry the band didn't go well, but since you had a yukky experience, you kind of personally know the worst case scenario don't ya! Good luck! Bonnie 264/155
Ms Shell
on 12/30/07 12:37 pm - Hawthorne, CA
I don't have personal experience but many former LapBand patients have gotten the VSG Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  It is a compreble surgery to LapBand if you don't want the malabsoption, with equal weight loss to RNY. We have about 10 last I counted and they have all said what a blessing going from the LapBand to the VSG has been for them.  Good luck to you!  Make sure you know everything you can know about whichever surgery you choose!!

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Karen3
on 1/1/08 8:26 am, edited 1/1/08 8:27 am - Long Island, NY
I revised from band to RNY and am thrilled that I did it.   My band didn't not work, it's that my esophagus didn't work with the band!  I had something called "Nutcracker Esophagus" and essentially, after the 1st 6 months, my fills kept closing up!   However, I did succeed in losing 78 lbs...but as soon as I had to have the band completely unfilled I just gave up and gained almost all of it back. Luckily (LOL) my BMI went back over 35, with high BP) so my insurance paid for the revision.  I was initially banded in Mexico, (self-pay, different insurance)  but didn't want an RNY done there.   I am able to eat just about everything that's good for me now, whereas even with an unfilled band in place, I couldn't eat many foods; tuna, chicken, etc.  (but I had no problem whatsoever with ice cream & candy!) My only complication to date has been a stricture, and that was taken care of by 2 endoscopies. that's my experience in a nutshell, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm sorry that your experience hasn't been great--do you think you'd be a candidate for StomaPX?? Take care,
 Karen  
232/210/132
Highest wt. (pre-band)/at revision to RNY/current
boysclub
on 1/1/08 8:43 am
Karen, Are you still losing weight?   I stopped at about 5 mons and 50 lbs.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/2/08 6:19 am - Tuvalu
Have you considered LapBand to DS? That's the revision procedure I had.  It reversed the esophageal damage the band was doing and I lost more weight in two months than I did with the band at all. One reason I went to DS was that after three years with band-related dietary restrictions, I was done with that game.  Now I can eat what ever I want...I just don't hold as much and my body is unaware that I eat some of that food. Come on over to the DS board...there are a few of us there. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/ Sue
Most Active