I'm in the RESTORE clinical trials.

Betsy C.
on 1/12/08 8:03 am - Efland, NC
I just returned this afternoon from Baltimore after 3 days of assessments.  First the psych eval - passed that!  Then met with dietician and physician, passed that!  Then yesterday had blood draw and endoscopy - preliminarily passed that (doc told me he thought my stoma was dilated enough to qualify) but I won't get the final word for a week or so.  The endo wasn't bad - I had enough drugs on board that I wasn't aware of anything until it was all over.  The study coordinator thinks she will be able to schedule my baseline visit the day before the actual procedure so I don't have to make two trips up within 7 days of each other.  Once I get accepted into the study, then I just have to hope I get the real procedure and not the sham procedure.  Kathy - email me personally at [email protected] so I can fill you in on some "Baltimore site" particulars. Good Luck! Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Betsy C.
on 1/13/08 7:40 am - Efland, NC
Here is a question I forgot to ask the study coordinator:  What if I am in the control group (receive the sham procedure), but as a result of at least trying to follow the post-procedure diet I lose some weight over the 6 months follow-up?  Currently my BMI is just barely over the limit - 30.8.  If at 6 months my BMI is <30, will they still give me the procedure?  Does anyone know the answer to that question? Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Cheryl Gebbie
on 1/26/08 12:46 pm - Knoxville, TN
I just sent in a request email to see what I need to do to be considered for this trial.  What is the time frame to hear back from this group.  I lost from 345 to 190 and then started regaining ..I gained back up to 245 and dieted and got back down to 195 now I am going back up to 215.  My new PCP told me that the lasix I was taking was depleating all my natural fluids I need in my skin ..and I know that at least 5 lbs is the fluid that is remaining in my body .  ANYWAY I have decided that I probably need to have a revison or something to get the rest of my weight off.  I am starting to have back problems...and I learned that I have sleep Apnea which I didnt know before the original surgery in 12/2002.....and now i am borderline HBP.  I really dont want to regain and really want to get this weight off...my doc said that I probably wasnt made to be less than 200 lbs ...I DONT beleive that ...my surgeon said the same thing ...but I dont see why I cant get down to at least 150 I have tried and tried and just cant get passed the 190 mark ...something has got to give ...
wterry99
on 1/27/08 12:56 am
Within 1-2 days someone emailed me and requested more information, then forwarded my information to the study site that was closest to me--Cleveland Clinic. A couple of days  after that, the Nurse Coordinator (Sydney) contacted me by phone and it moved pretty quickly from there.  I've lost 28 pounds since my procedure on 11/27/07. I'm trying to get back into the groove of daily exercise which would make the loss happen faster; but i definitely feel restriction when I eat. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 3:48 pm - KY
Who do I contact?  I had RNY and only went from 326 to 280 and that was six years ago.  i have a very large stoma and pouch from upper gi.   Are you all telling me that you don't know if you are getting a real surgery or a fake one?  Restore or a sham?  I mean, at what point do they even tell you?  Is it free if they pick you? 
wterry99
on 8/27/09 11:37 pm
This clinical trial is  over. It ended in June  of 2008. I recently received information about  new clinical trials for a procedure called Stomaphyx. The trials are in Columbus  and Pittsburg. The link for that is below:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00939005
Good Luck.
Most Active