I'm in the RESTORE clinical trials.

wterry99
on 1/4/08 11:26 am

I used the link at the website and within 1-2 days someone emailed me and requested more information, then forwarded my information to the study site that was closest to me--Cleveland Clinic. A couple of days  after that, the Nurse Coordinator (Sidney) contacted me by phone and it moved pretty quickly from there.  The link is probably the quickest route--Good luck!

Tyner08
on 1/9/08 10:18 am - GA
Hi All Im in the very early stage.  Just finished the phone screening, which i qualified, so someone will call me to schedule appts.   My procedure is in DC.  I live in Atlanta, but as a teacher I have summers off so was wishing that I can do the bulk of the visits during the summer months.   Im glad that I read your posts, so now I know that they are flexible.  NOW something in one of the earlier posts confused me.  I thought that once you qualified ,you would automatically have the procedure.   So, what is this about a "sham"?  Can someone shed some light on that for me?  
katchal
on 1/9/08 11:10 am - Goodview, VA
Hi.  With the RESTORe clinical trial, there is a 1 out of 3 chance that you will not be selected to initially have the procedure.  A sham procedure would be done.  The patients aren't informed which procedure you are receiving.  Everyone follows the same aftercare for 6 months.  At the end of  the 6 months, if you were one of the unlucky ones to receive the sham proecedure and you have followed all of the guidelines as if you had the procedure, then you will be offered to have the procedure then.  Of course, you will then have 6 more months of aftercare.  It sounds like you will be traveling which is what will be happening to me as well.  I will be going to Baltimore to John Hopkins.  There are several people doing this clinical trial.  I am very excited about this opportunity.  I wish you the best of luck.  Kathy
cmr3399
on 1/4/08 12:22 pm - Bayville, NJ
Thank  you all for your responses. I actually sent emails of intrest for 2 studies....the one you all are speaking of and another one which looked like it came up just recently...Endoscopic Stomach and Pouch Reduction in Patients With Weight Regain Following Roux-En-Y Bypass Surgery. I did infact hear from one of them today  and sent a response to their questions.... i'll keep my fingers crossed Thanks Again
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/08 12:42 pm
This other study you're referring to is also known as EROS.  I actually tried for this one first-before RESTORe, but my pouch was "too small" for the tool they had at the time.  I think they have since acquired another tool that can accomodate shorter pouches.  The nutritionist there had told me that it would be available in November '07 or so. 
Betsy C.
on 1/4/08 8:58 pm - Efland, NC
I'm going up to Johns Hopkins (Baltimore) next week for a series of assessments to see if I qualify for the RESTORe study.  I'm having the Endo on Friday, but the other assessments are spread out over Wednesday & Thursday.  I live in NC so I expect about a 6 hour drive.  I wish I could go to Milwaukee where everyone gets the procedure, but this was the closest for me.   I'm glad I found this thread because it's been difficult to find stories from people who have actually had the procedure done.  I'm thrilled to hear about the successes, and I hope we can all continue to post our progress.  One question I have for those who have gone through the psych eval:  Are there any right/wrong answers?  Is it similar to the psych eval we all first encountered before gastric bypass?  Thanks for all your input.  Can't wait to find out if I'm accepted into the study. Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/08 2:52 am

Betsy- Regarding the psych evaluation.  I don't think there are any right or wrong answers.  The purpose of the discussions and the questionaires you fill out are basically to see if you feel the same before and after the end of the 6 month procedure.  I believe they want to see if weight loss impacts your mental attitude.  Unless you're suicidal or have dramatic uncontrolled depression, bi-polar, etc etc then you probably don't need to worry.  Good luck!!!

Betsy C.
on 1/5/08 3:01 am - Efland, NC
Thanks for your response!  I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go up for the assessments next week.  I'll post the results after I get them. Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

katchal
on 1/5/08 8:19 am - Goodview, VA
Betsy, I am very anxious for your visit so I can learn more since I am going up 2 weeks after your visit.  Best of Luck.  I know that you are going to have a successful journey.  Kathy
Tyner08
on 1/9/08 11:28 am - GA
Good luck to everyone.  Im hopeful I can join the ranks of those who had the procedure, and rejoin the Losers Club. Thanks to everyone for the information. Good Luck and God Bless
Most Active