I'm in the RESTORE clinical trials.

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 5:44 am

I just sent you a message..

FIREMANTRB
on 12/30/07 7:40 am - OH
I am scheduled for my initial testing on January  24th at the Cleveland Clinic.  Any suggestions on what to take and what to expect?  I had RNY in June 2002 and have regained 70 of the 255 pounds that I lost.
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/07 12:45 am
Fireman- Did they just schedule the upper endoscopy or are you seeing other people that day?  For my first appointment all I had was the upper endoscopy because if I didn't qualify there then why bother with the other stuff..lol.   All you need to bring with you is a driver that day because you'll be too loopy to drive yourself home.  I had already had an upper GI in August from another doctor so I didn't need to have that again but you'll have to if you haven't already For your next round of appointments you'll be there a while..you'll see the nutritionist, psychologist, Sidney (the research nurse) and a resident of surgery (not the one who will be performing the procedure).  The only things I recommend you take with you for that day is a sandwich and/or snacks and maybe a book.  You're there for HOURS and no real break to sneak away although there is a lot of waiting.  You have to do a few questionaires that take maybe 10 minutes each.  If you have your operative note and discharge summary from your previous surgery then bring it.  Sidney may have made arrangements with you already for that.   Once those appointments are done then 6 weeks after that you have your "baseline" appointments.  You see everyone again-psych, nutrition, resident, Sidney.  You will also have an EKG, bloodwork, chest xrays, and another questionaire (long one) to fill out.   You also will need to preregister for the surgery (in another building).  This is another long stretch of appointments so again, bring something to eat/drink and a book.  You'll be there a while.   One week after your baseline you will have the procedure (or sham).    Hope that helps.  Feel free to message me if you have any more specific questions!  Good luck and keep us posted!
FIREMANTRB
on 12/31/07 2:26 am - OH
Hi Lullaby I am actually doing all of the initial testing in one day since I live 6 hours away from Cleveland.  I'll be going up the night before.  They also told me that I will probably do the baseline the day before the procedure and just stay overnight.  Thanks for the advice about the sanwhich and book, that is nice to know.  I had an endoscopy 2 weeks ago, but they wont use the results in Cleveland, but I dont mind doing it again.  It was a breeze.  Thanks again for all the advice, have a wonderful new year
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 1:56 pm - Menomonee Falls, WI
I had it too.  I regained this past winter.  How are you doing?  Daisy
katchal
on 12/30/07 10:22 am - Goodview, VA
Hello all.  I have been following the forum trails closely about the RESTORe clinical trial.  I had a RNY in 2003 and initially lost 115lbs but have gained 60lbs back.  I am just beginning down the road to see if I will qualify for the study.  I will be going to John Hopkins since I live in VA.  My Endoscopy is Jan 24th and then we will move forward after it is determined whether I will qualify.  I would appreciate any guidance from those of you going down the road.  I do wish all of you the best of luck.  I am very excited about the possibility of being part of the clinical trial.  Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/07 12:46 am
Kathy- Good luck with your endoscopy.  Please read my post above to Fireman.  If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them!
katchal
on 1/1/08 1:15 am - Goodview, VA
Thanks so much for the information.  The plan for me is to have the EGD done on Jan 24th then return on Feb 4 to see the physician and dietician.  I am going to try to coordinate my visits since I am also 5hrs away and will be spending the night.  I am just not sure what I need to coordinate since I haven't recieved much information yet from the research coordinator.  Thanks so much and I will keep everyone posted. Kathy
wterry99
on 1/2/08 2:33 am

Hi Everyone,  Sorry I took so long to reply; I've had holiday company and just got freed up today.  My EDG , bloodwork,and initial visits with Psychologist, Nurse, and Nutritionist were all scheduled on the same day, beginning at 7:30 AM-because I live 8 hours from Cleveland.  My EKG, chest x-ray, additional bloodwork, and 2nd visit with nutritionist were scheduled the day before my actual procedure so I could stay over and only make one trip. I did have to drive back up for a 2 week follow-up and I'm scheduled in January for the 6 week follow-up visit. So far I'm doing great. Still struggle some with head hunger, but I eat my protein first and there not room for indulgence. I continue to feel good restriction when eating.  Wterry99

js2161
on 1/2/08 3:11 am
Hi, I was going to have the procedure done in Cleveland and then got everything switched to Milwaukee.  They are in the lead in phase and are doing the procedure to everyone.  How did you feel after the procedure - any discomfort?
Most Active