How do you qualify for revision?

peggy A.
on 12/26/07 7:22 am - rogersville, tn
Hello. It has been over 3 years since I had the gastric bypass. I lost 188 lbs. I have gained back around 50 lbs. I would like to have a revision. Can anyuone help me find out what direction to go on this matter? The surgeon who did my original surgery is no longer available. I also have a 14 year old son that weighs 360 lbs. I would like as much info on weight loss surgery gor teenagers as possible. thanks to all that take time to respond!  Peggy Allen
darnell239
on 12/26/07 8:23 am - Columbia, SC
Peggy, You didn't say how much you currently weigh.  This can effect your having a revision.  If you are self pay you could always go across the border and see if you can be bypassed more or have a lapband placed over your current bypass.  If you need insurance it will probably take a little work.  First, you need to check to see if you have a mechanical failure from the surgery that is causing you to regain weight.  If this is not the problem you might want to try weigh****chers or get back with a wls support group.  I know that regain can be tough.  I am currently seeking a revision myself and it has been an uphill battle.  As for your son have you considered the lapband? 
KRWaters
on 12/27/07 2:54 am - Manteca, CA
Peggy, DEfinitely check out all your options. You can have a distal RnY. That may help you. In my opinion though, once you have gained weight with the RnY, going distal may not be the answer for you as you will still have to deal with a pouch, unles you really like your pouch. You can get a lapband placed over the RnY. That is if you trust the band and you feel you can work with it and have those fills. It states somewhere that 25% of people fail with the lapband. Keep reading this revision board. You can go have a DS (duodenal switch) or BPD/DS. Go to theDS forum and read how many people are revision to a DS from either a lapband or a RnY. You do not get a pouch and you have a more normal stomach. No blind stomach. you can take NSAIDS for any aches and pains. Better overall weight loss with the DS. Better chance of keeping it off than with RnY or lapband.
You can eat more and still lose weight, no small amount of food needed. Just enjoy your life and enjoy eating. Check out all forums and make your decision.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active