Seeking RNY Revision

Kaargo
on 12/15/07 9:47 pm - CA
I have used this site for years as a resource and have decided that with all the people having similar problems I am, I should document my journey.  I hope all those that fall into this category that haven't posted yet, do!  I have learned so much. I had RNY in March of 2001.  I lost 160lbs. but did not finish losing.  Two years ago I started gaining weight.  To date I have put on 60lbs.  I had an upper GI.  Results:  everything goes really fast through me.  In August of this year I had Schlerotherapy during which they discovered my pouch is the size of my index finger but my stoma is >20mm, and the intestines below it is dialated.  Basically, food isn't going into my stomach just passing through and settling in my intestines. I was disappointed with the schlerotherapy, however, I think it was the wrong choice knowing the problem.  REstore and Somaphyx aren't options because my pouch is too small. This Thursday I am going to see a surgeon about surgically revising my RNY.  I don't know what he will suggest but I am going to discuss repairing the stoma.  Removing the dialated portion of the intestines and bypassing more (although I originally had 72 inches bypassed which is borderline proximal/distal.) Long story short, I have read what people have said about various revisions (especuially DS).  I respect everyones decision.  I am seeking people's experience with RNY revision to a more distal connection.  Even if it has to be done open v. lap., I am willing because I am mentally declining regarding my weight and want to finish what I started.  I believe in RNY and will continue on this path.   Thanks for all the postings!
BeachPat
on 12/16/07 2:37 am
Kaargo, I am also seeking a revision to an RNY. My upper G.I. also showed that although my pouch is very small, the stoma is allowing food to go through me very quickly. However, 2 surgeons have said I don't have a big enough pouch to re-do the stoma with....I am not sure what to do next...am also looking for advice.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

linda249
on 5/19/08 2:23 pm - xenia, IL
I also forgot to tell you that my stoma was also stretched and he was able to do the scleratherapy
sharixz
on 12/16/07 4:50 am
I recently started having hypoglycemic episodes. My bairatic surgeon is having me see a gastroentrologist for evaluation of late dumping syndrome. If that is the case, I will be looking at a revision of the RNY. I do not know about the size of my pouch; however after a few bites I experience stomach pain and discomfort. If I eat protien foods such as meat, this is dramatically worse. I still have episodes of emisis after eating very small amounts. With all these problems I went to a nutritionalist and I was put on a hypoglycemic diet.  Concern was if I went into a hypoglycemic state I might pass out. therefore, I am supose to eat 4 carbs per meal and 2 carbs with my in-between meal. That is physically impossible with anyone who hasa stomach pouch. I have modified it and manage to eat very small amouts of carbs and protien every two hours. My blood sugars have been normal; but I have actually gained 5 pounds. So you see, a revision of the small intestine is very necessary for me. I don't want to gain any more weight and I sure hate eating so often. I need my blood sugars controlled and this revision may be my only choice. So help what am I getting into here?
gands2413
on 5/19/08 1:24 pm
How have you made out since Dec. with having an RNY re-do to make you more distal?
romyzena
on 6/15/08 10:02 am - Canada
Hello! I am new to this website and have just joined.  I had a gastric bypass in 2000 and lost 130 lbs. and kept it off for 5 years.  Then, weight slowly started to come back and I am now up 40 lbs. I am considering having a lap band put on and want to know if anybody out there had a lap band POST RNY.  If so, please could you write and let me know how it worked for you. Thanks and I love the website! Zena
ginny01
on 1/8/09 1:14 pm
I was wondering if you ever checked out the revision you were mentioning and how things went. I have a very similar situation going on myself and would love to know what you did and how you made out.

ginny

[email protected]
Most Active