Umm... help?

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 2:35 pm - Dallas, TX
Hi everyone! Despite the fact that I'm 'incognito' on OH right now, I've actually been a fairly active member since my surgery in November of 2004.  I had some problems with some members, and needed to take 10 steps back and regroup for a bit. Now, after having said that... I originally had the Fobi gastric bypass.  I've had a lot of complications, several hospitalizations, several surgeries, almost daily vomitting, and LOTS of pain.  It's finally been decided that I need to have a revision to a more standard RNY.  I'm trying to make this short, but there are several reasons why the doctors feel I might benefit from a revision. I was sent to a new surgeron, because I have Secure Horizons through medicare, and I had to be sent to a Center of Excellence.  I had my appointment today, and after reviewing things, this Dr. has decided that this would probably be a good option for me, and it looks as if my insurance will cover it, because he's put it in as a medical necessity.  He feels that this could happen in a matter of just several weeks. He has cautioned me that a revision is a much more serious operation than the initial gastric bypass.  I feel a sense of urgency to have it done, because frankly, I'm sick of being sick, but the more research I do online about revisions, and seeing complications, the more worried I'm getting. This whole revision thing is new to me, and I'm at a loss as to a lot of the things people are discussing on here about the different procedures and studies.  If someone could fill me in, offer me some words of wisdom, tell me of their experiences if they've already had a revision... or whatever else might be pertinent, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
JRinAZ
on 12/14/07 3:06 pm - Layton, UT
Hi there Incognito!    Welcome back!  Here's my take.....I'm sure others can correct me or add to it..... Stomaphyx- FDA approved and currently being offered without insurance coverage for the most part.  It is a procedure done endoscopically (through the mouth) to reduce the size of the stoma (opening from pouch to intestine) and to reduce the size of the pouch.  It is only for those who have had gastric bypass.  There are 3 or 4 other procedures that are different companies and done a bit differently but are basically offering the same type of fix.  Most are still in the trial/research phase. Proximal to Distal - increases the malabsorption but doesn't usually do anything with your pouch Rny revised with a lapband - the band is usually put just below the pouch to tighen the stoma area and keep the food in longer for more satiety.  Or, above the pouch to manage the amount that goes in. Revision of Rny to Deudenol Switch (DS) is reconnecting, rerouting, replumbing.....so you can do some reducing :)  (see DS forum for much better information) ....Many claim that this is the magical answer to everything. You can go to the library on O.H. to do some research on all of the procedures.  I actually found several very good links from "Google" on Distal.  And then I asked on the [email protected]  They have a very very active group of thousands *****present many types of revisions.   The O.H. grad forum has oodles of experts who have been around for a while and know the secrets to long term success. Good luck with your new journey!  It sounds exciting!  .....  I'm all set for a revision on 12/26 of proximal to distal.  Yahooooo!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active