A Revision for Christmas!!!

mjc123
on 12/10/07 8:12 am - Midlothian, VA
Im working on getting a revision as well. Im looking into DS revision. I initally had a proximinal RNY and have gained back all but 55 pds. Im getting all my paperwork together for the doctor to submit for approval. Im just praying and crossing my fingers. Congrats to all of you!
Shawnta H.
on 12/11/07 12:14 am - Ellicott City, MD
I'm sure you will be approved before you know it!!!!!! Good Luck Shawnta
csbernard
on 12/11/07 8:05 pm
Hi Joyce, Tell me again what the difference is between Distal and proximal.  My stomaphyx is working great.  I'm down about 23 lbs.  Just wanted to keep something in mind,,,,,just in case. Cathy from Tucson Dr. Eric Schlesinger Stomaphyx
JRinAZ
on 12/12/07 7:20 am - Layton, UT
Cathy! Lest I ramble on and on with incorrect info, I'll just have to refer you to "Google" on this one!  LOL!  I know the Y is closer to the distal connection and that malabsorption is increased considerably with Distal......Fats, calories and fat soluable vitamins are not absorbed as readily; thus the hope of losing more weight is given.  Since I"m someone who lkes to babble off the exacts, then I promise to give you a 500 word essay before the end of the week!  LOL!   Congrats to you on your stomaphyx success!  ......  Have a Merry Christmas friend!  ...I'm coming your direction with Dr. Schlesinger and Dr. Heffel (plastic surgeon) the 26th of January!  Maybe we can connect.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Lara Croft
on 12/11/07 9:35 pm - Fairfield, OH
Hey all!!  My surgery date is on January 14th!!  It's a good way to start the New Year right?  I'll be getting the revision distal RNY.  Please keep in touch with me with your weight loss. 
WannaBThin4OnceInM
yLife

on 12/12/07 6:47 am - Delaware County, PA
I mean no one any disrespect I just do not know how to say this but to say this. I am new, have not had any surgery yet but seeing a doctor tomorrow for RNY and I am just a bit confused now after reading so much into this surgery. I do not understand how you can have the RNY and so many years later you all are talking of having to go through yet another surgery?  I may be stupid or dumb yet but I feel like if I am going through this I want to hear it all and leanr I DO NOT want to go back for a second surgery and I hate doctors and hate surgery and want to avoid this at all cost so any input hear would be greatly helpful. So hence what is Proximal Rny to Distal Rny and.......  what kind of comment is this and what does it mean? (Well, this time we KNOW already. We know that the honeymoon period  is truly just that and you better work it for all it is worth.) I need and want to know what you all mean by all this please? Donna
JRinAZ
on 12/12/07 7:14 am - Layton, UT

HI Donna!

Weigh 2 go with the research!  Just keep studying until something feels right to you.  ....  After working in the offices of 3 different Bariatric programs, my humble opinion is that if you have a BMI in the high 40's to 50's then go for a Distal Rny or a Deudenol Switch ...aka as DS.  These are the most malabsorptive procedures available and give promise of the most success.

It's interesting that you are hanging on the Revision forum when you are a newbie though?  You can get some great interaction off the main forum or on your state forum from people in your same stage.  However, peeking into the possibilities of the future gives you amunition to tackle your surgery of choice with great gusto.

Just remember that with greater malabsorption (Distal and DS) comes greater responsibility for forever health maintenance.  These surgeries can cause more problems than they cure if a post-o is non-compliant.  The right vitamins, the right foods, protein supplements, etc. MUST be a part of a person's lifestyle to guard against very serious risks.

"If" a person is in the low 40's to 30's with their BMI then their choices may want to go the way of Proximal Rny (less malabsorption) or LapBand.  Having worked for a surgeon who narrowed his weight loss options down to just the Lapband, I saw Lapbanders of every gender, size, and age lose amazing amounts and maintain.....but, I also saw those who lost a few, then never came in for counseling or adjustments and they basically regained their weight and grumbled about choosing the wrong procedure.

Revisions aren't needed for everyone.  You've just happened onto a forum that focuses on failed surgeries.  It doesn't mean people have failed; it just means the surgeries didn't work for them for a thousand different reasons.  If you hang out on the grad forum you can chatter away with people who are living happily ever after after many years of maintaining their goal weight.

Keep your chin up and keep studying.  Being aware that there isn't a magical solution is healthy.  Just find a surgeon with a comprehensive program that promises support groups, nutrition counseling, regular labs, etc. and you'll have a great recipe for success.  If the surgeon is on O.H. with positive patient reviews then they are ahead of the standard and may be worth selecting.

Good luck!

Joyce 

WannaBThin4OnceInM
yLife

on 12/12/07 12:33 pm - Delaware County, PA
Thank you so much for your kind reply and advise.  I have been all over to all forums and just bounced in here tonight and got reading and questioning some more that was all and found it interesting.  Especially since I want which ever I choose to be the last time I have to fight my weight issues and to change my life forever and keep it off.  So I am glad I asked and tomorrow at the doctors i will find out now just which surgery he has planned for us and with some of my homework doen I will know what he is talking about now, thanks to you.   Donna
Susie221
on 12/13/07 6:06 pm - UK
Hello Ladies, I just wanted to throw in my experience ,I HAD  a distal RNY 13 months ago,my  distal is a "big un" at 2 meters long !!!and it has made NO DIFFERENCE to my weight loss In fact I am now waiting for a revision,my outlet is wide open hence my ability to eat and never feel full up ,so am going to have the outlet made smaller .In the 13 months since my RNY I have lost the grand total of 75lbs   I was 298 to begin with ,and as said previously if I knew then ..... I would have had a DS .... I am not looking forward to having another surgery but if thats the only way forward then thats the way to go ..... Wishing you all a speedy recovery ,and would you all kindly let me know how your getting on after your revisions? Is it only the proximal to distal your having done ? Or are you having  your outlets /pouches made smaller as well ?  Best Wishes  Susie x
JRinAZ
on 12/14/07 2:06 pm - Layton, UT
Ahhhh Susie!  What a bummer for you!  I am sooooo sorry you are having to go for round 3! ..........Your story definitely scares the bejeebies out of me in regard to a Distal not working.  I went hunting on the OSSG-Graduate board for others who have had a revision from proximal to distal and have had a huge response.  They are mostly all thrilled with their distal so that gives me hope.  Vitalady (of www.vitalady.com), Michelle has been coaching me on info regarding distals, what to expect, supplements I'll be needing, etc. She and her hubby were revised to distal several years ago and are both maintainig their goal weights.   I know I have to be compliant to make it work and definitely will need to kick it up several notches with answering the malaborption needs! I'm already protein loading.  My pre-op labs were good except for my fasting blood sugar (133!!!!  Yikes!).....So, I'm all set for this 2nd adventure. I wish you luck on finding your magic fix, whether it's DS or something else.  Maybe you should try the stomaphyX before going as drastic as a DS?  It sounds like you are mostly concerned with your rapid emptying?  That will be my next step if the distal doesn't do it for me.  My upper g.i. showed very rapid emptying as well. Best of luck to all of the Holiday Revisions out there!  Keep in touch!  .....I'm crossing fingers, toes and all other "crossable" body parts that we all have our healthy, happy dreams come true in 2008!
Joyce 

Most Active