Possible Revision

Kathy B.
on 12/6/07 10:40 pm - East Windsor, CT
I'm 4 years post-op after having RNY.  I originally lost 100 lbs., but have gained back quite a bit.  I started looking into revisions, etc., and I found a clinical trial for the RESOLVe procedure - which is done endoscopicly (sp) and closes off some of the stoma.  My stome is huge - 30 cms; pouch is fine, and I have a small fistula emptying into the stomach.  I do not qualify for the RESOLVe procedure because of the fistula. Spoke with my surgeon today and he is suggesting I look into Bilopancreatic Diversion.  Has anyone had the BPD as a revision?  What was your experience? Any info on this (in laymens terms) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kathy
babrewer
on 12/7/07 2:38 am - Midlothian, TX
Hi Kathy, I am just now hearing about the clinical trials for RESOLVe and Stomophyx...I went to my surgeon last week and I had an Upper GI done and at the time of the test the Dr said that my pouch was 3 times the size it was at the RNY surgery.  He said I didn't have a Fistula of any kind...that is about all he said...,But I am waiting on my surgeon to tell me what she thinks.  In the mean time she told me to plug back into the monthly WLS meetings start eating correctly again and go see my therapist.  Which I am starting to do....  I gained back 81 pounds after losing 134 during the honeymoon phase the first two years.  The last two years due to extreme stress I started eating any way I wanted and no exercise and I just kept falling deeper and deeper into depression due to all of it. Anyway, I want to hear what others might have to say about the Bilpancreatic Diversion too.  Sorry, I didn't help much...But you are working at getting back on track and losing weight again. Good Luck! Barbara
Kathy B.
on 12/7/07 2:48 am - East Windsor, CT
Thanks Barbara.  I'm glad to hear you are getting back on track as well.  It is very difficult to realize we may have "failed" again at this.  It helped me lots to know there was a reason for the hunger and the weight gain.  I was very disappointed I couldn't get into the RESOLVe clinical trial - so was my regular sugeon, it would have been a great jump start for me. God Bless on your journey Kathy Bilodeau
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/07 3:13 am
I'm in a clinical trial for RESTORe.  Is there one called RESOLVe too?
itsmekaren
on 12/7/07 4:39 am - Waxahachie, TX
How do Clinical trails work? Are they free? I need a revision pretty bad. My RNY surgery was 41/2 years ago. I've been fighting weight gain.. 30 pounds im interested in clinical trials.. What is RESOLVe ? Thank you for your help.. Karen
Kathy B.
on 12/7/07 4:46 am - East Windsor, CT
Its the RESTORe clinical trial.  I went to Brigham & Women's in Boston.  I'm pretty sure they have all the candidates they need now, but it would be worth a try. Yes, everything is paid for in a clinical trial - in fact, they may pay you.   Hope this helps. Kathy Bilodeau
Kathy B.
on 12/7/07 4:45 am - East Windsor, CT
No - I just didn't get enough sleep last night .  Its the RESTORe clinical trial.
darnell239
on 12/7/07 4:05 am - Columbia, SC
Kathty, I had a bypass almost 8 years ago and have regained alot back also.  I looked at the stomaphx procedure and because it is very new I am hesitant.  I've read some of the post from people who had the procedure and it seems about 50/50 which is not what I am looking for especially since almost no insurance company is paying for it because it is so new.  I am currently in the process of trying to have a lapband placed over my bypass.  I plan to keep the board posted on that.
babrewer
on 12/7/07 4:22 am - Midlothian, TX
Good keep us posted.... I just talked to my surgeron's office and they tell me that the Upper GI I had was negative and now they want to schedule an Endoscopy (sp)?  Is this the next step? Again, I found out that my pouch is now at least 2 to 3 times it was when I had my bypass. Also, clinical trials are usually not covered by insurance companies...I didn't know this.  I keep learning more and more by staying on tye message boards. Thanks Barbara
KRWaters
on 12/8/07 11:22 am - Manteca, CA
Please reconsider your decision to have a lapband. Too many failed bands I have read. Check out the DS and you may be pleasantly surprised how great a surgery it is. Don't settle for less than the best. It is your life, your future. Good luck.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active