Have gained back 80 pounds and had Upper GI today

SophieGrace
on 11/30/07 3:15 am - IL
I DO qualify for a revision, but mine is because of staple-line disruption.  I began regaining 29 months ago and have packed on a whopping 80 pounds since. Though I'm not crazy about having another major surgery (I'm 52 and the risks go up a lot), I am ready to do it.   You have to ask yourself if you really want to put your body through another operation.  If you don't think you can take weight off without it (and most of us here simply can't take it off and maintain it), then you have to decide if the surgery is worth the risks. I think so.  I want to live a long time, and I'm not going to as an obese person.  Know how I know this?  Check nursing homes and hospitals.  Fat people do not live to be very old.  There's a reason for that. And I think the bottom line is whether we're willing to take a risk in order to live a healthier life.  This is why I've decided there is no other option for me. Good luck with your choice.
moxiebear
on 11/30/07 4:07 am - Bronx, NY

Hi Barbara,

Your story is so similar to mine.  I had an RNY in April 2002 and went from 257 to 137 in a fairly short amount of time, and have crept up to 205.  I, like you, went through a series of stresses:  lost my job, my mother died, and I got divorced all within the last couple of years.  It's funny that when you have the consult with the psychiatrist you're sure you can handle everything -- but I've found out that I couldn 't.  I recently went through a round of therapy for the first time in my life and I'm hopeful and back on track. My concern is that I've done enough damage now that nothing I do will help me short of having a revision.  It doesn't help that I seem to be hungry a lot.  I think the worst thing I did was to start drinking with meals.  It really does stretch things.  I'm trying to find an Aetna-in-network doctor take Aetna in NYC who will do a revision. Good luck to you. Melissa Hamilton

babrewer
on 12/4/07 5:13 am - Midlothian, TX
Thank you all again for your support.  I am waiting anxiously to hear from my Surgeon regarding my Upper GI results.  To know if she thinks I need a revision or not. I go late this afternoon to the psycologist.   I am working on re-training myself, protein first with 3 meals a day and staying away from fried foods and trying to wait the hour before and after the meals to drink liquids. Baby steps.  I know that if I try to make big changes all at once I will get over whelmed and tell myself the task is too big.... Anyway, thanks again for listening. Barbara Brewer
Most Active