Have gained back 80 pounds and had Upper GI today

babrewer
on 11/29/07 4:01 am - Midlothian, TX
Hello to all. I am back looking through obesity help.com.  I have been disconnected from anyone and anything to do with WLS for the last couple of years and have gained back 80 pounds.  I have had a rough couple years.  Changes at home and stress.  I have been diagnoised with severe depression.  All my doctors and what friends I have left tell me it's time to concentrate on getting your life back. Well, anyway, yesterday I went to the WLS Clinic and saw my surgeon.  She listened, I cried and she said first I want to take your blood and I want you to get an upper GI done.  I got that done today and the Dr that did the test said that I don't have a fistual problem, but he noticed that my pouch has stretch to he estimated about the twice the size of my surgery. Anyway,  I was wondering.  What do you think my Dr will wan't to do?  She has told me to get plugged back into the local WLS group at Baylor/Dallas.  See the nutrionist again and they gave me a sheet of paper with the "10 Medical Suggestions for WLS Strugglers." Do you think I would qualify for a revision? Thanks for listening. Sincerely, Barbara Brewer WLS 5/20/03 lost 134 pds 11/29/07 gained back 80
smittygirl
on 11/29/07 3:28 pm - Bridgeport, CT

First things first. It's good that you've returned to OH. We're all here to help one another and we all need help.    I think that if you have a fistula problem you are definately a candidate for a revision not to mention the size of your pouch. Support groups will help you get back on track as far as eating habits and even if you are going through personal problems. That's what we do. We support each other. We share in our triumphs and we pick each other up when we need that extra umph. We gain weight when we are depressed sometimes and sometimes we are depressed because we gain weight. (if that makes sense)      Join a support group, talk to the psych consultant and see a nutritionist. This way you'll be ahead of the game if you do decide to revise.    Moreover, What are the "10 Medical Suggestions for WLS Strugglers"? I have come across that info sheet. Please post it. and Good luck.    Shana

babrewer
on 11/29/07 9:16 pm - Midlothian, TX
Thanks Shana for your comments.  I have decided to work at taking my life back.  Doing what it takes to be successful in life.  It is going to be a moment by moment decision to stay on track.  I really do need the support of OH and the local support groups.  I am going back for counseling next week. Here is the 10 Medical Suggestions for WLS Strugglers:

TOP TEN MEDICAL SUGGESTIONS FOR STRUGGLERS

1. Eat more Solids NOT Liquids: There is a natural subconscious tendency to eat foods that go down easily (soups, yogurt other liquids), and avoid foods that sometimes cause nausea (sandwiches, bread, chicken.)  Unfortunately, this allows you to consume more food.  If you want to lose more weight, then eat food that fills your pouch and stays there longer.

2. Avoid Drinking after or With Food:  If you want to get more food down, then drink a little fluid with your food in order to wa**** down the intestines.  This is not good.  Instead, we want you to allow the food you have eaten to stay in your pouch for as long as possible, providing a more sustained fullness.  “We have seen the best results when liquids are avoided for 1 hour before and 1 hour after eating.”

3. Portion Control:  If you start with a large portion of food, there will be a natural tendency to eat slowly and drink a little in order to get all of the food down.  Nobody wants to waste food.  It is important to start with a small portion of food.  Savor every bite.  Don’t eat until you are full; eat until you’re no longer hungry.  Some patients have made the comment.. ‘Well, I started out with that concept, but now I just eat till I’m STILL Hungry!”  You need to wait.. Eat a limited amount of a good choice of food on a schedule to combat that!

4. Change your Snack Foods:  Avoid foods that have fat and calories (chips, nuts, cheese, peanut butter, crackers).  Instead, eat foods like (carrots, celery, pretzels or rice cakes.)  Even better, eat a strip of beef or chicken for a midday snack.  A Small ¼ sandwich with ham and tomato will give you a sustained snack that will provide fullness.

5. Change your Hand to Mouth Habits:  We have a natural tendency from birth to put things in our mouth.  You may try using other tools, like a straw or a toothpick.  You may also try developing other habits to occupy your idle time, like writing in a journal, drawing pictures, reading science fiction, learning a foreign language or learning to play the piano.

6. Don’t Gorge Yourself!  Do not eat until you are over-filled.  If you do this chronically you will begin to lose the sensation of fullness and feel compelled to always eat to an over-filled state.  This is called Binge Eating.  This requires active planning and thoughtful control.

7. Avoid Sweets: This goes without saying.  Sweets lead to yo-yo of sugar levels, with a typical drop in blood sugar levels about 30 minutes after eating, which tends to make you want to crave more sugars and be chronically hungry.

8. Don’t Drink So Much:  All this talk about consuming 6-8 glasses of water is completely false.  The excess fluid simply puts your bowels in a chronic “running river” state and washes the precious food in your pouch into your lower intestines.  You will tend to be chronically hungry!

9. SOOO:  If you find yourself losing too much weight and you want to put a few pounds on …eat soups, yogurt and other foods that go down easily.  Drink while you eat to wash as much food down as possible.  Snack on chips and nuts and crackers and sweets.  Start with big portions that you work to get down, even if it makes you a little sick.

10.     BUTTT:  If you find that you have regained some  weight  and

you want to use your pouch as a tool to help you lose weight, eat       small sandwiches that you can only eat a few bites, eat chicken strips and fajita meat for snack or lunch.  Eat carrots, celery, and rice cakes for snacks.  Don’t drink after meals or with meals.  Start with small portions and avoid over-eating.

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/07 10:26 pm - Brampton, Canada
Great post!
TrueCalling
on 11/29/07 11:32 pm - Anacortes
Thank you for posting this fantastic list ~ it will help many! Eileen
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/07 6:29 am - TX
I'm not trying to be smart here but those rules sound like a diet to me.  I had the DS so I didn't have to diet anymore.
babrewer
on 12/4/07 10:42 pm - Midlothian, TX
I will have to admit that before my gastric bypass I didn't research the DS procedure.  I don't really know about it today.  Is it something I could have done after the gastric bypass? Just wondering?? Barbara
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/07 8:32 pm - TX
On December 5, 2007 at 6:42 AM Pacific Time, babrewer wrote:
I will have to admit that before my gastric bypass I didn't research the DS procedure.  I don't really know about it today.  Is it something I could have done after the gastric bypass? Just wondering?? Barbara
Yes, it is possible to be revised from gastric bypass (RNY) to DS.  If you'd like to know more, please PM me and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.
JRinAZ
on 12/7/07 8:41 am - Layton, UT
Hey there WLS friend! I congratulate you on your committment to take control of your life.  I really like your list with the exception of # 8.   You said.....  

"Don’t Drink So Much:  All this talk about consuming 6-8 glasses of water is completely false.  The excess fluid simply puts your bowels in a chronic “running river” state and washes the precious food in your pouch into your lower intestines.  You will tend to be chronically hungry!" I'm just hoping that others realize this is your opinion and hope that they would run this idea past their docs before adopting this philosophy as their own.  Having worked for 3 different Bariatric programs, I have seen many people come in dehydrated.  WATER is very very important to all of our bodies!  In fact, many weight loss programs sugges****er loading as an answer to carb binges.  The theory is that our bodies do not know the difference between thirst and hunger and so before grabbing calories; we should drink some water and wait a bit.   I'm from AZ so H2O is golden! Best wish to you for success with your quest!  I am focusing on many of those same things.  It equals a recipe for success!  ....  As for the person who suggested that it resembles a diet .........I would say it's more of a recipe for a healthy lifestyle.  If DSr's want respect, I feel they shouldn't pedal themselves as being gluttens.  I have seen soooo many cases where their "no rules" lifestyle catches up with them! We are all here for the same reasons....it just kind of bugs me when someone glorifies their own choice as superior. ....running for a safe corner now.....

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

babrewer
on 12/10/07 1:54 am - Midlothian, TX

I kind of thought #8 was strange too when I first read it.  I am sorry, when I need a drink, I need a drink.  Again, this is what I got from my last visit to my surgeons office.   Also, thanks for the comment on DS....I really hadn't researched that but I remember that as a Gastric bypass patient that I was told about the life style changes that would need to take place to be successful. Well, my surgeon's office has referred to Dr Connor for an eodoscopy to check my stomach and the size of my stoma? Anyway, I hope to get that done before the end of the year so I don't owe for a new deductible. We will see! Barbara

Most Active