I'm new, but am having a revision!

candyshoe
on 11/28/07 8:17 am - Kokomo, IN
It seems like it's taken me forever, but I'm finally getting my revision from a VBG to an RNY.  My first surgery was 10-1/2 yrs. ago.  I lost 80 lbs. and didn't quite make my goal, but close.  I've gained back around 40 lbs., but have alot of co-morbidities that I didn't have before. I have to go next week for pre-op class and tests.  My surgery is Dec. 17th.....nice Christmas present.   Has anyone had many problems with their revision?  I weigh just a little under 200 lbs. now, but want to get off alot of medications. I'd appreciate any feedback on other's revisions.   Thanks Candy
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/07 11:52 pm - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
Hi I had a revision surgery from the old Gastroplasty (stomach stapling) to the RNY and I haven't had any problems.  I am 60 years old so I was concerned about doing it but I had a quick recovery and I have lost  92.5 pounds since the RNY surgery.  I would do it again.  Believe me, you will not regret it. It's the best thing I have ever done. Hugs, Esther
candyshoe
on 11/29/07 5:45 am - Kokomo, IN
Thanks Esther for replying to my message.  It is really nice to hear when someone has had the revision and is doing really well.  I'm 56 and was hoping that I'd have no problems.....for some reason since I'm older this time it has worried me more than the first surgery. I was really worried about the scar tissue because I'd read that the risk is alot higher for revisions.  I asked my surgeon and he said that back when they did my Gastroplasty they used something to keep me from getting adhesions.  I never knew that there was such a thing, but I looked it up online and there actually is. It sounds like you're doing really great!!!  I've also heard on the forums how doctors tell them that you don't lose as much or as fast as the first time....it seems like you're doing very well! Thank you for the positive feedback! Hugs to you also, Candy
JOlmos
on 11/29/07 4:41 am - Houston, TX
Hi..I;m exactly 4 weeks post-op.  I underwent a RNY from a failed VBG (10 years ago).  I did have fistual problems in two spots.  I have lost approx. 21+ lbs...I'm thrilled beyond words; but I am still progressing very slowly as far as food intake.  Mainly pureed/liquid stage.  My doctor suggested that if it does not progress by the 3month check up; he may consider using a balloon to stretch the pouch since it's smaller than a normal RNY pouch.  Other way, I'm still glad to have made the decision to proceed with the RNY.  My surgeon is a gem - he was able to do the surgery laproscopic.  I was home in 2 days; back to work full time in 2 weeks post-op....I feel great.  I went into surgery at 215 lbs.  So I'm not too off from you also; I fortunately did not have any health related illnesses - It's just time to get fit at 40!  Odd enough I did this 10 years ago to be fit at 30; It's really time now to be Fit & Fabulous at 40!!!

candyshoe
on 11/29/07 5:56 am - Kokomo, IN

I know I've heard of fistulas, but I'm not real sure what they are.  Did you have these from the last surgery or from this surgery? It sounds like you're doing great!!!  My doctor doesn't like to do a laproscopic on a revision, so mine will be open.  Everyone that I've talked to that had my surgeon went home in 3 days, so it's not too bad.  I remember after he did my last surgery I went in on Sun., had the surgery Mon. and didn't go home until Fri.  They all said that they were on full liquids when they went home. I'm not real sure when they normally take you off full liquids and go to pureed or soft foods.....is it usually 2 or 3 weeks?

It seems like in Indiana we have to have a gazillion things wrong before Insurance will approve it.  Did you have to go through a 6 month program?  For my insurance I had to do a ton of things it seemed.....for the most part, I'm glad that I did, but it was a pain at the time.  I had to drive down to Indianapolis (downtown is about 1-1/2 hrs. away) once a week for 12 weeks for group therapy....that's not including the dietician and other appointments I had.

I'm ready to get fit at 56!!!

Candy

JOlmos
on 11/29/07 6:16 am - Houston, TX
Hi...no I didn't have a 6 mth waiting period.  My surgeon had me do all the prelim. testing, upper GI, endoscopy, psy evaluation, nutritionist mtg. etc. and then submitted to insurance.  I was approved within 3 weeks of submission.  I waited 2 1/2 mths to schedule b/c of my husband's travel schedule.   The tears in the staple line were from my previous VBG...I stretched the pouch and then had significant scarring around the band that create the tears....I'm suppose to be introducing more solid based food BUT i'm unable to tolerate more than 2 oz per 4 hrs...hence the need for a balloon procedure in a couple of months if it doesn't expand - i have a lot of scarring from the previous surgery.    best of luck.

candyshoe
on 11/29/07 2:52 pm - Kokomo, IN

I have to do all of the pre-op testing next Thursday.  Your insurance must be great compared to mine and alot of others in Indiana.   The staple line breakdown was the main reason you had a revision?    My surgeon said that he used something back then to keep me from having adhesions.  I'd never heard of that before but got online and checked it out and it's some kind of a gel I think.  He told me that the main reason people with VBG starts gaining weight back is because the ring stretches and/or staples come out.  I had an endoscopy from a Doc in my PCP's office within the last couple of years (can't remember the exact time) and he said that the only thing he saw then was stitches coming out around the ring. 

I hope that your pouch stretches some so that you won't have to have the balloon procedure....they usually do stretch some, but if you can't eat anymore than that at a time I don't know if it will or not.  Are you feeling pretty good otherwise?

Good luck.

Suzanna N.
on 11/29/07 8:37 am - Ocala, FL
Our surgery dates are very close. My revision will be on December 12th. We will have to keep up with each others progress and encourage each other. Good luck Candy. Suz
candyshoe
on 11/29/07 2:40 pm - Kokomo, IN
Hi Suz, That's a really good idea!!!  I finally know someone that is having their surgery close to the same time.  I'll be thinking about you on the 12th.  You'll have to let me know how you're doing before I go into the hospital, if you can.  My husband and I are going down to Indy on Sun. Dec. 16th and stay at a hotel since I have to be there at 6:00am on the 17th.  It's about an hour away. Good luck to you too Suz. Candy
SophieGrace
on 11/30/07 3:20 am - IL
I envy you your Christmas present. I'm fighting my insurance company to get my surgery approved (they don't pay for WLS and don't like revision, either, despite my staple-line disruption). If I'm lucky, I will get it approved and during my Christmas vacation so I don't have to take unpaid leave from work.  I also had to travel to NYC to find a surgeon who'd even talk to me.  I'm in the Chicago area but many surgeons here are in zero hurry to deal with someone else's patient.
Most Active