4 wks post op from revision

2ndtry
on 11/25/07 11:17 pm
Hi! I had revision surgery from VBG to RNY 4 weeks ago.  I have lost 30 lbs. but have been at a basic stand still for the last week and a half?  With my first surgery I lost a total of 85lbs back in 2001.  I then gained back 33lbs. between 2005 and 2007.  I feel I was successful to a point with my first surgery but never lost all of the weight I needed to lose (150lbs) and then began to fail by stretching out my pouch and starting to regain.  I had the revision in hopes of a total weightloss success going forward.  My doctor seems optimistic but I am still nervous having tried and failed once already as you can imagine.  Is there anyone else out there like me that can relate to my story?  Should I be nervous that I have already reached a standstill?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!  I DO NOT WANT TO FAIL AGAIN!!!!! Thanks for listening! ~D  
Marice N.
on 11/26/07 4:27 am - Little Elm, TX
Hi, I too just had a revision 4 weeks ago 10/30.  Dr. Alexander did mine.  I noticed Dr. Barker did yours.  he was my second choice.  Anyhow I have lost 37lbs.  which I"m proud of.  I think my first time around with the VBG I had only lost 25lbs my first month.  My husband just got a RNY on 10/17 by Dr. Alexander and he lost 40lbs his first month.  This was his first time around.  Honestly I think your doing good.  I know how you feel.  I too don't want to fail the second time around.  Espically as much pain as I was in this time around.  I think it's too early for us to start worrying about we not gonna loose the weight.  If you were at 6 months and only lost 30lbs then i would be worrying.  Feel free to email me if you want to chat futher Marice
darnell239
on 11/26/07 9:14 pm - Columbia, SC
Marice, I read your profile and you have an interesting story.  I had the mini-gastric bypass in 2000.  I have since regained most of my weight back.  I am considering having the lapband placed over it.  I am nervous about going this route because I here that the procedure is much more complicated than a "virgin" stomach.  On the other hand, I am nervous about being converted to the RNY after hearing stories like yours with all the pain you experienced not to mention that many people on the revision forum had the RNY and have regained back.  What made you choose to convert to the RNY?
Marice N.
on 11/26/07 10:17 pm - Little Elm, TX
well I decided to go with a RNY cause my previous procedure was a vbg. Which is very similiar too the Lapband. The only difference was my band was not adjustable. It didn't make sense for me to get a revision to the same procedure. Yes there are other methods than the RNY but personally I felt like they hadn't been around long enough for me to get them. I know several people that has gotten the rny and has had NOTHING but success. I trust my surgeon opinion and he too also felt like I needed to revise to a RNY. Don't be afraid because of the pain I experienced. Everybody tolerance is different. I have a very low tolerance plus my dr did it open vs laparscopic which makes a big difference. I'm happy with my weight loss so far. 1 month 37lbs. You want to talk with ur surgeon about what size hes going to make ur pouch cause that will make a difference. Marice
darnell239
on 11/26/07 10:40 pm - Columbia, SC

Thanks for answering my question.  Your answer made a lot of sense.  It must be horrible to have to had 2 open WLS.  My first surgery was lap and I hope that the 2nd one can be also.  Did you have to have a catherer and a tube down your throat when you woke up from surgery?  That also scares me.  My first surgery didn't require a catherer or a tube down my throat.

Marice N.
on 11/27/07 1:17 am - Little Elm, TX
The second time around was a mini open.  My incision is 2'.  My first incision is like 3-4'.  But yes it was difficult.  My Dr. also does it laporscopic but I decided his other method because I was getting a revision and he had a better view of what he was doing vs laporscopic.  Plus he also removed my gallbladdeer to prevent me from having gall stones and having ANOTHER  surgery.  With all that going on I wanted him to have the best view possible of what he was doing to. No I did not have a tube down my throat.  The first time i did, but not for the revision.  I did have to have a catherer.  But they put the catherer in while I was under, so I didn't feel anything. 
joenanna07
on 12/4/07 11:03 am - TX

hi my name is anna and i see we have the same dr.! i saw dr alexander todat and was told i am probably gona need  a revision so i saw that you had one already and you have a child! i have a 6mnth old how difficult was it for you and did it take a long time to recover? also was it as painful as the 1st time or was it worse? sorry to be so noisy but i am very curious. thnx 1

Ann B.
on 11/27/07 2:52 pm - Dallas, TX
I too had a revision.  I had mine with Dr Arnold at Baylor in Dallas.  I sure understand the strong desire to no fail again.   What part of town are you in? Maybe we can go walk together.  Let me know.  I am sending good thoughts your way.

Ann in TX

This is my first profile. I don't want to risk losing any of it by combining with the one I had to start in April 2007.

babrewer
on 11/29/07 4:15 am - Midlothian, TX
Ann B Tell me about your revision?  I had my gastric bypass in May of 2003 orginally lost 134 pounds but the last two years I have regained 80 pounds.  I went to the WLS clinic at Baylor where Dr Kuhn is the director and I saw Dr Colleen Kennedy yesterday.  They took blood work and I had an upper GI today and that Dr said my pouch he estimated was twice the size of my original surgery.  I have stretched it that much!  He said I didn't have a fistual problem.   What might I asked was the determining factor for the Dr to go ahead and do a revision.  I guess I am just really anxious about everything right now. Thank you in advance for any advice you could give me. Sincerely, Barbara Brewer
JOlmos
on 11/29/07 4:37 am - Houston, TX
Hi..I;m exactly 4 weeks post-op.  I underwent a RNY from a failed VBG (10 years ago).  I did have fistual problems in two spots.  I have lost approx. 21+ lbs...I'm thrilled beyond words; but I am still progressing very slowly as far as food intake.  Mainly pureed/liquid stage.  My doctor suggested that if it does not progress by the 3month check up; he may consider using a balloon to stretch the pouch since it's smaller than a normal RNY pouch.  Other way, I'm still glad to have made the decision to proceed with the RNY.  My surgeon is a gem - he was able to do the surgery laproscopic.  I was home in 2 days; back to work full time in 2 weeks post-op....I feel great.  I wouldn't worry about the the stall in weightloss whatsoever....all of our fears in having a revision surgery is "WHAT IF I FAIL AGAIN?"  I know that is mine without a doubt but after have a successful first time around I'm even more excited about this new opportunity at weightloss.  Don't despair!  You have a new opportunity.  Stay strong...that's what I keep telling myself. 

Most Active