MY STOMAPHYX EXPERIENCE

KATHYSH
on 11/10/07 8:54 am - Maribel, WI
StomaphyX on 11/07/07
I just got back from Phoenix after having a stomaphyx with Dr Schlesinger.  Everything went very well and I am VERY happy with the results.  Dr said my pouch was still pretty small but the stoma had widened - he put 3 rows of pleats in.  I've lost 6 pounds since Monday and am feeling restriction again.  My procedure was on Wed at 8 AM and I was on my way back to the hotel at 10:30 - a little bit groggy but not too bad.  I slept most of Wed but we drove up to Sedona on Thur and I felt pretty good.  I had a sore throat and some chest discomfort afterward but by Fri it was gone.  I took some liquid Tylenol and used a throat spray a couple of times and I was good to go.  I was on clear liquids until this morning when I went on full liquids.  I am definitely feeling restriction even on the liquids which the Dr's office said would not be the case.  Maybe it's in my head but I'm not going to question it.  They were very nice at Dr S's office especially Kathy his bariatric coordinator.  Going in I was questioning whether or not this was a good idea - I worried that I would also defeat this procedure because I had gained weight in spite of having the RNY.  She said the RNY failed me - I had not failed.  I have thought about that a lot and I think it is true - if my stoma had not stretched out I would not have gained the weight that I did.  The only drawback was that our insurance does not cover anything having to do with bariatric surgery so we had to pay ourselves, but I consider it a very good investment.  I will keep you posted on how things are going. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/07 9:14 pm
Thanks for sharing your story Kathy.  Keep us posted with your progress please!
xk8girl
on 11/12/07 12:58 pm
babrewer
on 11/26/07 4:11 am - Midlothian, TX
Hi Kathy, I have been researching revisions for Gastric Bypass.  I had my RNY in May of 2003 and I ahve gained back 80 pounds.....I am beside myself with grief, embarsement and depression. I was wondering what the surgeon could revise after RNY Bypass and what you had done sounds like probably what they might do for me.  I go back this week to see a Dr at the Clinic where I had my bypass but the Dr that did the surgery is not on staff there anymore.  But this clinic has my records. Anyway, I was wondering what pre-op tests do they request before revision? Thank you in advance for your response. Sincerely, Barbara Brewer WLS 05/20/03 Originally lost 134 pounds. Have gained back 80 to date.
Most Active