I am nervous about revision

candyshoe
on 11/9/07 4:41 pm - Kokomo, IN

I got approved today to have a revision surgery from VBG to RNY.  I am considered a lightweight, so in that respect, the surgery doesn't bother me.  What does bother me is the fact that I probably have a lot of scar tissue.  I keep feeling a tightening around my stomach area.  Also it seems like the left side is a little bigger than the right side....or at least more bloated.  Could any of this be because of scar tissue?   I really want this surgery so that I can get off of alot of medications.  I take about 9 pills a day.... when I remember.... which isn't often at times.  As you've probably guessed....I HATE TO TAKE PILLS!  If they do an upper GI or an endoscopy does that give them any ideas as to the amount of scar tissue that they're dealing with?  Any info would be appreciated.

godzilla
on 11/10/07 4:13 am - Israel
Your description of left-sided bloatedness sounds exactly like me! I has SRVG, VBG and now suffer from severe GERD. I am scheduled for RNY GB on 24/12. I don't think scar tissue can be diagnosed before operation but it seems to be a "known" that adhesions happen after abdominal surgery. I think the amount od adhesions can only be detected upon viewing. But maybe I am wrong. i alsop have hernias and damage to my esophagus. goodluck on your upcoming op. Mikimi in Israel

candyshoe
on 11/10/07 5:42 am - Kokomo, IN
Mikimi, Thanks for the e-mail.   I thought I'd read that with the upper GI that they can see the adhesions, but whether they can tell how bad they are, I don't know.  It is definitely why most doctors do revisions with open surgery. I also have GERD, but not real severe.  I usually take Prilosec for it and lately I haven't had to take it as often.   They detected a hiatal hernia before my first surgery, but I don't know if they did anything about it.....if they did, I wasn't told.  I haven't had my pre-op tests yet or anything, since I was just approved Friday.  I should be getting a call from the bariatric center on Monday to schedule appointments.  With my insurance we have to go through alot of things yet.  I have to see the bariatric director for a 2 hour meeting so that he can explain everything and then see a psychiatrist for an hour to see if I have a plan put in place to make the surgery a success and then go to a 4 hour class, which I guess is very beneficial.....I think it's mainly about nutrition. Then I'll finally talk to my surgeon and he'll set a date and order all of the tests.   It sounds like you had alot of problems after your SRVG.  I haven't had alot of problems except the bloating and the feeling of tightness.   I know that any time you have surgery that it is a "given" that you're going to have scar tissue.  I also had gallbladder surgery 26 yrs. ago and probably have adhesions from that too...my right side does feel like the left side part of the time too.   Good luck on your upcoming surgery also.  It is so neat that we can e-mail each other from other countries.  I love meeting new people.  Keep me posted. Candy
godzilla
on 11/10/07 4:46 pm - Israel
Hey Candy,   I'm an American who immigrated to Israel in 1979 at age 16. Born in Boston but grew up in Atlanta with most of my teachers from NY. You can imagine what kind of accent I might have. i think you might be right about UGI and seeing scar tissue but I don't think they can really detect how bad until they are actually inside. I'm nervous about what the doc will find once he gets inside me. With the SRVG I vomited for 8 years and the revision was supposed to be LapBand but doc in my city decided to do VBG in op-room. Nowadays there are docs who will not do VBG as GERD is a major side-effect. At the rate the American insurance bureaucracy goes, you might get in for your op b/f me as I have my date but it is still 6 weeks away. Sometimes I think I'm crazy for going for another op - until I have a bad GERD attack or vomiting. If you want to write more often or personal, send a private message. It is nice meeting people from other places. Mikimi in Israel

Most Active