RESTORe

happy girl
on 11/9/07 8:35 am
could you share the post op diet, and how it progresses? thanks

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/07 11:26 am

Well..you start on clear liquids 2 days BEFORE the surgery and take the stuff they give you (phosphsoda or something like that) to "clean you out."   The day after your surgery you're still on clear liquids for one day.  Two days after your surgery you can start your protein shakes/drinks.  You're on 60 grams of protein drinks per day for 2 weeks.  You can also have clear liquids..broth, water, crystal light, SF popsicles, SF jello, etc.   16 days after your surgery you can start soft foods that are protein based...yogurt, cottage cheese, soft beans, eggs, moist meats (dark meat chicken), tuna w/mayo etc etc.  You start to introduce soft cooked veggies, then slowly reintroduce starches and fruits back into your diet.  They want you to be on soft foods for for about 4 weeks.  My recommended diet guide says that 46 days after the procedure is when you start your "low fat diet for life."   I think that any WLS diet is similar.  We have to let our stitches heal inside.  I must be honest.  I'm already sick of protein shakes but I bought a fantastic one at GNC.  It's called "Maximum Protein."  I got the chocolate flavor and each scoop is 22 grams of protein.  When you mix it with 8oz skim milk you have 30 grams in one drink.  It's very very good.  I highly recommend it.  It's about $35 for 30 servings (30 scoops). 

happy girl
on 11/11/07 6:59 am
thanks, that is pretty interesting to read.  I assume that all study centers have the same all pretty much similar post procedure protocols. Looks like you are the first, so are leading the pack . I will post as soon as I hear something further.

April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Kathy B.
on 11/27/07 11:13 am - East Windsor, CT
Hi Sara Jean, I sent you a personal message as well - but I'd love to hear from you.  I just had my endoscopy yesterday (I passed) but had an upper GI today and they found a fistula.  I'm bummed, to say the least. You can email me directly [email protected] - just put OH in the subject line - or something like that, so I won't think the message is spam. Thanks in advance, Kathy Bilodeau
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/07 4:05 pm
Hey, I just found your post.  Congratulations on having the procedure and I am glad you are doing better.  It is great that you feel you had the procedure . . . I realize we may not all get it initially.  And like you said . . . you will know for certain when you start eating solids.  I had my RNY in early October 2001 and remember being able to have a few bites of turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie that year on Thanksgiving and it was very satisfying.  You will do okay on Thanksgiving because you know you are on a good, healthier road. I am going on December 6th to have the endoscopy and other tests that will determine if I qualify to proceed.  I am a little nervous, but only because I am afraid that my stoma will not be at least 2 cm.  But we'll see . . . I believe it is due to my weight gain and the fact that I drink soda.  I would tell any new weight loss surgery patient (of any type surgery) to stay away from soda and other carbonated beverages for as long as you can . . . for forever, if you can.  I really appreciate your postings.  Please keep us posted to let us know how you are doing. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/07 12:17 am

Hi Dani- Please let us know after your appointments on the 6th of Dec if you will be in the study.  Chances are, if you are a soda drinker, your stoma has probably stretched.  Not only did I drink soda but I also drank with my meals which is the #1 no-no after RNY.  I also wasn't the best chewer-I went back to most of my bad habits.  I thought my pouch had stretched since surgery in 2000 but my pouch is normal-it's 4cm x 3cm and the stoma is 3cm wide so everthing I ate and drank just zoomed past my pouch-lol.    Take care and best of luck on the 6th!

happy girl
on 11/13/07 9:57 am
Lullaby I hope you continue to do well.  Maybe we should ask OH moderators to make this a stickie post I know my paperwork has arrived, so I hope to hear something this week.  Will be keeping everyone updated.

Forest
on 11/15/07 7:58 am
I had the procedure for the study two weeks ago at BWH.  I didn't have any nausea at all.   The ride home was fine as I remember other then being sleepy and dealing with Red Sox victory parade traffic!!!  I did have a bit of stiff neck pain after and then the next day all my muscles ached for about two days, but no stomach problems at all.  The day after the procedure I woke up hungry and have craved things.   After the sore throat went away there was not any problems with drinking anything. The liquids go down fine. I was able to switch to orange flavored water and am doing OK giving up my Diet Pepsi (I haven't touched it!), but I do miss it.  That was my favorite thing in the world. I think I got the sham but I am not sure.
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/07 8:29 am, edited 11/15/07 8:30 am

Janine- Hi-I'm so glad you posted.  I know there have to be more than a couple of people out there doing this!   So it was 2 weeks ago for you.  How are you doing on liquids?  Have you gone off of them early to soft foods yet?  I feel like I'm going to snap.  I am hungry occasionally but I imagine that being on liquids can't satisfy completely even if we did have the procedure.  My husband's been doing the cooking for himself and the kids and just the smell is enough to make me lose my mind.  I have 6 more days on liquids. I really feel like I did have the procedure because I can feel the liquids sort of stay put for a bit.  Before they just went straight through.  How much weight have you lost?  The way I looked at this procedure is even if I got the sham I would still lose weight by following the restrictive diet early on and then at the 6 month mark I would get it anyway.  Hopefully this research will help and maybe this procedure will show positive results and in turn help a lot of people in our situation.   Keep in touch-just because we have different post op experiences doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Maybe we both had it, maybe neither of us did.  The true test will be when we get to eat real food.  I was a diet pepsi drinker but I've been ok without it.  I'm going to be afraid to touch the stuff again-it's like a drug..lol. 

Forest
on 11/15/07 8:52 am

Yes, I had a bit of chicken today.  I was fine.   I work thrid shift and sleep during the day to my eating times are a bit crazy to everyone else.  I wish we could have coffee as it would help on the night shift, but I have been doing OK.

Now with that stuff they are putting in Diet Pepsi that they think changes your DNA it is probably best to quit, but I wish there were better alternatives.  Probably, a good time to sell one's stock in the Pepsi company as such a big consumer has gone off the stuff!!!

Most Active