STOMAPHYX UPDATES PLEASE

JROLFSON
on 11/5/07 7:59 am - St. George, UT
PLEASE, PLEASE ALL OF YOU OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD THE STOMPHYX PROCEDURE OR ANY PROCEDURE LIKE IT, PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS. WE'RE ALL DYING OUT HERE TO FIND OUT HOW IT'S GOING AND IF YOU'RE LOSING WEIGHT. THANKS SO MUCH. JROLFSON
BeachPat
on 11/5/07 8:11 am
I have posted my post-StomaphyX remarks before, but I will do it again. I was VERY disappointed in the procedure. Maybe if I had only had a small amount to lose, I would have had more success. I need to lose 100 lbs., and although the procedure DID reduce the size of my stomach, it was not enough of a change. I had an upper G.I. recently that showed that food/drink go out of my stomach WAY TOO fast and so I get very hungry every 2 hours or so. I followed the post-op diet at first (2/3 cup food-mostly protein--3 times a day) but then I found that I was starving and it was like being on a very regimented diet. Dr. Overcash did, to his credit, tell me I needed a FULL REVISION of my surgery, but he also was confident I could lose a lot of weight with the Stomaphyx alone. I lost 13 lbs. the first 2 weeks (from being on a semi-liquid diet) and now have gained ALL of it back. I self-paid $10,000 and now am in the process of seeing another surgeon for a revision. The procedure has worked for others, so I am not trying to discourage anyone from  having it done; just be aware it seems to be working on about 50% of patients.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

JROLFSON
on 11/6/07 2:02 am - St. George, UT

PAT: WHEN DID YOU HAVE THE PROCEDURE DONE? THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST! JROLFSON

BeachPat
on 11/6/07 5:43 am
JROLFSON: I had my Stomaphyx on Aug. 8 of this year.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

Deedle621
on 5/20/08 2:03 am - Cumberland, RI
Pat I had the Stomaphyx done by Dr. Garber in New York about 6 weeks ago.  I have lost 18lbs. (13 of which came off the first week).  My weight has remained steady for the last four weeks since then.  I am eating about half of what I was eating before Stomaphyx but my weight is still not budging.  I feel like I just paid $8800 to lose 15 lbs.  Somehthing doesn't seem right.
azlorri
on 11/5/07 11:03 am - AZ
Heck, I post all the time!  :o)   Yes, StomaphyX is working for me.  (I'm down 20 pounds in about 7 weeks...and I still have 30 or 40 to go.)  However, the effects are "subtle" and the weight loss isn't nearly as quick or easy as after full WLS.   That being said...I LOVE StomaphyX.   The results are real (if mild) and there is NO WAY I was going to have REAL surgery to lose 30 pounds!    This was quick and painless for me.  I think it's a great solution if you are relatively close to goal and just want to get back in control. As for some of the surgeons who are claiming 3 meals a day only with no snacks....THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!   Don't do it.  Eating a bunch of small (100 - 150 calorie mini meals) is keeping me satisified on about 1100 to 1200 calories a day.   Just perfect with some walking to lose 2 or 3 pounds a week.    Fortunately for me, my surgeon didn't tell me what to eat.  :o)    There would have been mutany!!! Lorri
Nannette
on 11/5/07 10:48 pm - Toms River, NJ

I had the Stomophyx on Oct 23 and the effects are subtle -- although I'm not physically hungry, the head hunger is still rampant.  I've lost 7 pounds in two weeks and hope to lose a total of 40 pounds - the jury is still out in my mind whether this is the right "fix" for me.  I self-paid to the tune of $9,000 since insurance denied me.

Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

JROLFSON
on 11/6/07 2:01 am - St. George, UT

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU *****PLIED SO FAR. I HAVE SEEN MOST OF YOUR POSTS I WAS ALSO HOPING TO GET SOME OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD THE SURGERY FOR 2-3 MONTHS OUT. I KNOW THAT MAY BE HARD DUE TO MOST ARE NEW PATIENTS. KEEP POSTING THOUGH, THIS IS A TOUGH DECISION TO MAKE; STOMAPHYX OR FULL REVISION? THERE IS ANOTHER PROCEDURE I'VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT WHERE THEY PLEAT THE STOMA AND THE WALLS OF THE POUCH, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT SOME OF THEIR RESULTS? THANKS AGAIN LOVE YOU ALL!!! JROLFSON 

FIREMANTRB
on 11/6/07 6:41 am - OH
Hello!  I am preparing a pre-authorization request for the StomaphyX and need a sample letter to send to the insurance.  Does anyone have one they can send me? My surgeon doesnt send the request so I have to.  Help??
KATHYSH
on 11/11/07 9:59 pm - Maribel, WI
StomaphyX on 11/07/07

I'm less than a week out - had mine on 11/07 - but I am down 8 lbs.  Went to a Packer game yesterday in a private box (awesome experience!) and there was food, food, food.  It bothered me a little bit but I know this is temporary.  I am very happy with my stomaphyx and I am definitely feeling restriction.  I was told that my doctor - Dr Schlesinger - is being more 'aggressive' now and putting in more pleats if possible.  My take on that is that maybe in the beginning they were not making the pouch and stoma as tight as they could.  This procedure is so new that I am sure they are learning as they go.  That could also account for all the people who are not happy with their procedure.  I will be keeping everyone posted as I go. Kathy 

Most Active