I had RNY 6 weeks ago and want to change it to DS

Kim C.
on 11/4/07 1:52 am - Near Ottawa, Canada
Can it be done, does anyone know of any dr's New York.  I have stopped having BM since surgery and have been told that a DS will help this problem.  Also my doctor told me at the time that DS was unavailable to Canadian patients, she was wrong.  I need a dr in New York who can do the surgery. Kim
YOU CAN ONLY TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME

Kim

Michele T.
on 11/4/07 4:46 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Whoa!  Slow down a little!  You need to give your RNY a chance before you start thinking about revisions. Not being regular this far out is common, your body hasn't adjust yet, you still have the after effects of aenesthesia and pain meds.  You have very little fiber and fat in your diet at this point. Talk to your Doctor and see what he recommends.  Many people use Beneful (for fiber) and Colace (stool softener) or similar products. I'd also guess that you may be experiencing a bit of depression.  It's also very normal post surgery.  You may want to ask for a mild anti-depressant (like Celexa or Wellbutrin).  It really helps. Stay with your Doc's program, the weight will start falling off and you'll feel much better! Michele
JROLFSON
on 11/5/07 7:52 am - St. George, UT
Yes, I'm sure it can be done, but as a 6-week out patient you haven't even allowed your surgery to work for you yet. Have you lost weight in six weeks? Can you eat? It's very normal to not use the bathroom for a while, if your rny was anything like mine, I hardly ate for the first 3 months therefore little in, little out! if you know what I mean.  Most Dr's are going to be bery leary about doing a revision so quickly into the game. Revision surgery is very dangerous, and is something that needs to be well thought out. Don't just jump right into something new before you give yourself a chance to heal from RNY. No matter what you decide now the RNY has been done and a revision is a revision very touchy to most Dr's. Be careful and choose wisely.  Just a few thoughts Jrolfson
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/07 10:28 am - Brampton, Canada
Kim if you are having trouble with BM see your doctor.  There is no way OHIP is going to pay for another weight loss surgery when you just had rny 6 weeks ago.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/6/07 8:48 pm - Jacksonville, FL
One of the best DS surgeons in the World is Dr. Michel Gagner in New York City.  Having said that, I don't think any doctor will touch you so soon after your surgery.  Being constipated early on after surgery is NORMAL... because the volume of food you are consuming is very little.  Talk with your surgeon about adding a fiber supplement, colace, or something else.  It should be an easy fix... much easier than major abdominal surgery.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Laurie LOVES her DS
on 11/7/07 9:45 am - Southern, CA
Hi Sami, FYI ... Dr Gagner has relocated to Florida, I believe and will start his practice up in the new year. Laurie

PRE OPS ...  Want a surgery that has the least chance of long-term re-gain, is BEST at curing your Diabetes (98%+), removes much of the hunger hormone Ghrelin, NO DUMPING, NO MARGINAL ULCERS and NO STOMA / STRICTURES? CURIOUS WHY I CHOSE THE DS?  VISIT MY PROFILE.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/7/07 10:07 am - Jacksonville, FL
Really Laurie?? Wow...I'm surprised he's leaving NYC and NY Presbyterian.  Do you know where in FL?? I have a house in Jacksonville and go to Orlando a lot.  I'd so love for him to be my surgeon once I'm done breastfeeding my little one. :)

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

oh2bthinforonce
on 11/8/07 8:13 am - Simi Valley, CA
I have two houses in Jacksonville! Where are you houses at? I go to NY alot too. I think we have talked before because of the middle east connection of food. I go to NY alot too. I am considering either the DS or the sleever from the lap band. I hate my band Gina

-16.3 pounds as of 4/1/07 

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/8/07 9:24 am - Jacksonville, FL
MIne is in Southside.  Sadly, property values aren't what they were a few years ago... but still, it's nice to visit.  I'm hoping that I'll be moving back there this summer... but nothing is definite yet. :) I think we could definitely start a "I hate my Band" club.  Seriously... I know there are people who aren't succesful with the RNY... or regain... but I don't hear of people hating their surgery like Bandsters hate theirs. I'm torn between the DS and the VSG.  I'm worried about complications with the DS... and part of me thinks... well, I can start with the VSG, and then get the DS later if I need it.  Of course, the other part of me says... "I don't want to have another revision... I just want this to be done with."  I just got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after having three gestational diabetic pregnancies... so that's what has me thinking about the DS.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/07 4:19 am - Brampton, Canada
Well I love my revision from VBG to Lapband!
Most Active