Any Regrets or Disappointments with LapBand?

alieden
on 11/1/07 3:35 am - Boca Raton, FL
RNY on 02/28/12
Has anyone who's had a lapband procedure had any regrets afterwards or found that they initially lost weight but then gained it back or found that they couldn't lose any weight? i'm considering getting it done and just want to hear the stories from people that weren't so happy with it as i've only heard good things thus far. thanks, alis
jass28
on 11/1/07 11:40 am - A Town, NJ
YES, YES, YES.  I regret it everyday.  I paid 15k for this surgery and I've been miserable.  I can't wait to have it removed.  I have not lost weight.  Only lost 20lbs and have gained it back.  The vomiting, food stuck, etc. is not that fun.  The band is a great tool for some but not for all.  Do your research.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

darnell239
on 11/1/07 11:47 am - Columbia, SC
I posted this same question on the forum a few weeks ago.  Are you seeking the lap band as a revision or as 1st wls patient?  Go back a couple of weeks on this forum and you will see my post or you can click on my avatar to see all the post I have submitted and read some of the answers I recieved.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/1/07 1:16 pm, edited 11/1/07 1:16 pm - Jacksonville, FL
There are A LOT of Lap-Band revisions (I'm assuming you mean Lap-Band as a primary procedure). I've been Banded over six years, and I know very few people who still have their Bands.  I know there have been some improvements in Bands, but I still hear stories about constant PBing... not being able to consume any solid food until after 4 pm... etc.  The best thing about the Lap-Band is its ease of reversability. I think the VSG looks much more promising as a restrictive-only operation.  The only difference is that you cannot reverse a VSG.  Still, no food intolerances... no food getting stuck... weight loss seems better... no fills. I actually don't think revision people hang out here unless their surgery is imminent.  You might want to post on the RNY, DS, and VSG forums asking to hear from Lap-Band revisions. 

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

LizMoore
on 11/2/07 1:45 am - San Diego, CA
I had Lapband in 2004 and lost about 3-35 lbs and havent lost any weight in 2 yr's..it has been a series of fill's and un-fill's over the past 3 yr's..I saw my doc last week and asked about a revision and he agreed and told me about the sleeve..but I already knew about it cause a friend of mine had it and is doing wonderful,and her eating habit's were badddd ! The band isnt for everyone,,out of 7-8 people at work that had it,,2 have lost the weight and kept it off Do more research before u chose what your gonna do and consider your eating habit's also Good-luck in whatever procedure you chose ! :)
slugworth
on 11/3/07 3:58 pm - Stanwood, WA
Yes. Procedure went great at first, lost 100 pounds total. Started at 410.
However after having some fluid taken out of the band because I was way to tight I could never
get it back to where it was good again. It was too tight. I could
barely even drink water. I can get more fluid put in know but it has
stopped working. I had alot of pain when it was too tight and later when it was loose as well. I also have
alot of reflux when it is tight.
I also did alot of exercise at first with the band. As soon as I
stopped I stopped loosing. Makes sense. I was revised to the Mini-Gastric Bypass and I am doing great at about 1 month out. That is just me though. I know a lot of people who have done good with it as well. -Van
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/5/07 2:05 pm - Tuvalu
And there are these people: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f79/ Good luck, Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

oh2bthinforonce
on 11/8/07 6:34 am - Simi Valley, CA
I totally hate my lapband and wish I never had it. I had it in Feb. 07 and I have lost a whopping 22 pounds or so. I hate the throwing up feeling, getting stuck, and just feeling like crap. I am looking into getting rid of my band and getting a revision to the sleeve. I was self pay so I think it was a hard lesson learned. Gina

-16.3 pounds as of 4/1/07 

Baby Blues
on 11/11/07 12:15 am - Roy, UT
I had the band done November of 04.  I am now getting revision to a DS.  For the first 8 months it worked GREAT!!!!  Then I got pregnant and for some reason, it just quit working.  I went from mild PBing and dehydration to going to being majorly sick within a month  after I restarted getting fills again (baby was a month old).  I tried.  But most times the only thing I could keep down was "bad" foods, then I couldn't keep them down either, and I when I would throw up water I got concerned.  I have abolutely no fill and I still have issues somedays.  I personally think that getting pregnant with my youngest is what killed my chance of success with the band.....I lost 60 lbs the first 8 months...... Now there are days I want to rip my band out and strangle the inventor of it!  LOL. Tammy
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/13/07 11:12 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Tammy: You're not the first to have problems with your Band post-pregnancy.... that was my problem too... and I've talked to a few others. :) Just thought you might be interested in knowing that... :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active