NO REVISION, DOC SAID TOO RISKY

60YearOldPrincess
on 10/28/07 3:53 am
Well I just had one of the biggies in WLS  tell me to give up on surgery. He told me I was too high risk.  I had a stomach staple job in 1980 then a VBG in 1990.  He said there was just too much chewed up insides  left to work on.  

I cannot tell you how totally devasted I am.  There is just no way to define how hopeless I feel. 
So now what.........?   

I will say this.   Dont play around with your surgeries.  You dont get to keep going back in till they get it right.  You best know what you want "for sure" before you go in.   I did not have choices when I had my procedures.  You do.  I guess if I were "virgin" I would have the Sleeve.   I would see how that works and then.....if that was not enough I would go for the DS later on with no less than a 100 common channel.   Then again....no I would have the DS right off and fix it if I needed to.

I wonder if there is any point in asking if there is anybody here that has had two procedures like mine that went on for the sleeve.   I wonder if I need to just go back to diet pills and weigh****chers.  OOOOOOOH.  Damn....... I dont want to travel that path again.   I have contacted Dr. Husted.  There seems to be a bit of hope there.  But will insurance Pay.  I have the dreaded BCBS.  Maguire was covered.  Dr. Husted is not. 

3D Prom QueenThe 60 year old Princess 

Janelle S.
on 10/28/07 4:37 am - Metairie, LA

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can feel your pain. I was in a similar situation. I was fortunate enough to find a doctor to do a revision to a RNY. It wasn't easy- for either of us! Don't give up- ever. Try the DS doctors. They seem to do a lot of RNY to DS revisions and I would think that more difficult than a VGB to RNY. Good luck, Janelle

darnell239
on 10/28/07 6:07 am - Columbia, SC
You are correct these surgeries are nothing to experiement with/  Not that I am a big fan of the lapband but have you considered having a band placed over your pouch?
60YearOldPrincess
on 10/28/07 1:25 pm
I dont have a pouch.  I have a.....a.....not sure.....but not a pouch.  I have the whole stomach and I am not sure what all is involved in a vbg.   Whatever it is .....do not get one of them.  Nothing but trouble and litte weight loss......that is what  I have experienced and read others remarks, and they seem to agree. Thanks for writing. 
 3D Prom QueenThe 60 year old Princess 

happy girl
on 10/29/07 12:15 am
I don't know where you are located and how far you are willing to travel, but I know Dr Buchwald at the University of Minnesota does revsisions on many patient that no other surgeon will.  He is one of the most respected and experienced in the country, maybe the world. If it was me, I'd get one or 2 more opinions, just for peace of mind. good luck and best wishes

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

JROLFSON
on 10/29/07 4:09 am - St. George, UT
Miss Princess: I like you had a Gastric Stapling in 1980 and in 1989 I found it had opened, went in for a revision in 1990 to a RNY.  I am seeking a revision to DS. I found a doctor in Delano, California who has done extensive, by that I mean approximately 400 revisions to DS mostly from RNY's.  Delano is outside of Bakersfield, CA. The Doctors name is Dr. Keshishian and his practice is Central Valley Bariatrics and the procedure is done at Delano Regional Medical Center.  He is listed on this site. Also, they normally get insurance to cover, per Dee Tinkle's letter to me. You should investigate, he quite reputable. Also there is Dr. Schlessinger who does Revisions and has done several. He may do a revision to an Distal RNY. He also is listed on this site.  Good Luck in your search and post your findings, as there are many of us who are researching the same thing.  Thanks so much. JRolfson
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/07 11:39 am - TX

Good luck Princess.  As you know, I had Dr. Husted and Dr R. Rabkin (now retired) do my revision from RNY to DS.  Dr. Husted has done hundreds of revisions, as has Dr. K in Delano.  I hope it all works out well for you.

smittygirl
on 11/23/07 5:43 pm - Bridgeport, CT
I just wanted to ask you if you had the DS the BPD or just the DS, what's the difference and which is better? I would like to revise from my RNY so i'm trying to get some good feedback.
Most Active