Stomaphyx, EROS, Transoral Repair

ShayZ
on 10/26/07 8:26 am - Somewhere, TX
Thank you, Lullaby, I have sent an email and will follow with a phone call Monday morning.  It looks like I meet the inclusion/ exclusion criteria...keep your fingers crossed.
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/07 2:30 pm

From the RESTORe brochure:

What may hinder weight loss following gastric bypass?

The most common surgical procedure to treat obesity is the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). In this procedure, the surgeon forms a small pouch in the stomach to limit food intake. The pouch is then attached directly to the middle part of the small intestine, through a dime-sized opening called a “stoma.” It is believed that this narrow opening between the pouch and the intestine slows down the passage of food, helping patients feel full more quickly when eating.  Following surgery, a small percentage of patients do not lose adequate weight, and some may even regain the weight they’ve lost. One possible explanation is that the opening between the stomach pouch and the intestine has stretched. If this opening becomes too wide, food may be able to pass from the stomach to the intestine too quickly — causing patients to feel less full after eating. Diet & Exercise Programs

Patients who experience inadequate weight loss or weight regain following gastric bypass surgery may try various diet and exercise programs. Changes to a patient’s caloric intake, meal frequency, and exercise regimen may help stimulate additional weight loss. However, since most gastric bypass patients had only partial success with diet and exercise prior to surgery, these approaches alone might not be enough to help patients achieve their weight loss goals.

Additional Surgery

For some patients, doctors may recommend additional invasive surgery to correct certain problems from the original gastric bypass. Sometimes, this surgery involves tightening the opening between the stomach pouch and the small intestine. Although this may help patients resume their weight loss, the risk of complications during a second surgical procedure is significantly higher than the risk during the original bypass procedure. The RESTORe Procedure

Doctors are now evaluating an incisionless procedure for patients who have either had inadequate weight loss or have regained weight following gastric bypass.  The RESTORe procedure is performed without incisions using a flexible device that is passed through the mouth, down to the opening between the stomach pouch and the small intestine. Using this device, doctors place a series of stitches around this opening to tighten it up. This may slow down the passage of food from the stomach to the intestine, helping patients to feel full longer after eating.

FIREMANTRB
on 11/5/07 7:01 am - OH
Hey everyone I went today to talk to a surgion (Dr. Mikami at OSU med center).  He said I was a good candidate for the StomaPhyx for the procedure, but wanted me to apply to insurance myself.  I plan on doing just that.  I am trying to find a sample letter to send to my insurance.  I know I will have a fight on my hands, but I did with my original RNY and won.  Does anyone have a copy of the letter you submitted (or your physician submitted) to the insurance for the StomaphyX?  If you dont mind, could you send it to me via emal to [email protected]  Thanks and have a great day.  Tim
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/07 2:41 am
Hi.  I just wanted to tell you that you might want to contact The Cleveland Clinic about their RESTORe trial and possible upcoming revisional trials.  I am glad I did.  I went to Dr. Mikami first, but the insurance approval seemed like a "never going to happen thing" for them and the stomaphyx.
FIREMANTRB
on 12/13/07 6:19 am - OH
Hey This is the first I have heard of RESTORe.  What is it?  I will definately contact the Cleveland Clinic.  I have been there many times with my mom and am very impressed by them in general.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 8:39 pm
Check your email . . .
Most Active