Sphyx follow up with Dr. O -disappointed

tina01
on 10/19/07 5:03 am - Wilmington, DE
  My disappointment is in the lack of contact with Dr. Overcash.  I am not getting messages to call me returned.  Pre-op, we discussed that he would be available for follow-up.  If he is on vacation, or having an emergency, I would have hoped the office would have told me. Has anyone else had problems in getting in touch with him? Thanks, Tina
darnell239
on 10/19/07 10:28 am - Columbia, SC
Tina, I have not had surgery with Dr. Overcash but when I used to call his office I would talk with Madalyn the nurse and she is very knowledgeable.  I know that is not the same as talking with him.
tina01
on 10/19/07 1:15 pm - Wilmington, DE
I understand what you are saying, but I'm not getting any type of response. Nothing.  They know what I want to talk to the doc about, and no one even suggested that Madelyn could help me. Today I sent him an email with my disappointment and concerns that I will be forgotten.  He told me pre op that HE would follow up with me, that he'd talk to me whenever I needed it.  I feel like now that I've been a ginnea pig, that I'm on my own.  I'm more than disappointed now, I'm pretty P!ssd. What if it was an emergency? Would I get any different a response... Scary huh? t
tina01
on 10/19/07 1:19 pm - Wilmington, DE
btw, it's been over a week since my first request for a call back.  2 emails, and 2 phone calls later.. nothing.
faybay
on 10/20/07 1:23 am - West Palm Beach, FL
what is Dr OC email address, if you don't mind.
tina01
on 10/20/07 5:41 am - Wilmington, DE
I am sorry, but I can't share that.  I do not know how liberal he is in sharing it.  I would imagine not very.  I only had it because I had a particularly sensitive situation early on.
BeachPat
on 10/20/07 1:06 pm
My StomaphyX was on Aug. 8th and I had ONE follow-up call with Dr. Overcash, 2 weeks after the operation. Nothing since then, though I have called and even faxed a letter. I am extremely disappointed. He should at least want to know if his operations have been successful or not so he can be as honest as possible with future patients. Mine has not. I am now pursuing a revision.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

darnell239
on 10/20/07 11:19 pm - Columbia, SC
Pat, You seem disappointed with your stomaphx procedure.  I really think you should submit a post about your concerns and disappointment about the procedure.  I think it will help those who are thinking about having it.  I've been waiting to hear from others about their results before I decide if I want to persue this procedure.  As far as Dr. OC is concerned I am wondering if he is only in it for the money?
BeachPat
on 10/21/07 6:15 am
I trusted Dr. Overcash too. He made a great first impression, was very willing to help me, seemed so understanding and confident. I don't blame him entirely; I have over 100 lbs. to lose and I don't think the StomaphyX is capable to making that much of a difference. I believe I do need a full revision. But I did do the StomaphyX on Dr. O's assurance that I COULD lose the weight. I did my best at following the 2/3 food (mostly protein) 3 times a day, but soon I was starving. I asked about adding fruit between meals and was told no. So, I essentially was on an extreme diet and as we know, that doesn't work with us UNLESS the surgical procedure helps us. If I had felt full on 2/3 cup 3 times a day, I may have had a chance. But I was hungry an hour later.  Dr. O. did NO pre-op tests, except a stress test, which in hindsight, seems odd----wouldn't he want to know what my insides looked like first (although he did read my operation notes from the RNY, but that was 10 years ago)?. Yes, I am disappointed in his non-follow-up. I am not willing to say he is just in it for the money, but I do think he does NOT want failures of HIS doing the surgery out there for people to know about. He is very proud of how many surgeries he does and that he is one of the first to have done them. I think he wants to protect his record of being so successful. I have to just let go of the fact that I spent $10,000 and made the wrong decision and just move forward. I had an upper G.I. this week that I think will show how fast food/drink moves out of my stomach, so that is the first piece of evidence I need to try to get a revision. My big decision now is: do I go with a doctor that insurance will approve and pay for and get another RYN, or do I pursue a doctor who will do the DS (which I am now convinced has the best success rate) and again use my own money (which I do NOT have right now)?  Any advice is appreciated.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

darnell239
on 10/21/07 7:32 am - Columbia, SC
Pat, I also talked with Dr. OverCash on the phone twice and he was going to perform a full revision for me.  I had the mini gastric bypass 7 1/2 years ago and have regained back most of my weight.  He was going to perform the surgery on me without any test at all.  He was also going to perform the test open.  At first I was hell bent on driving to Florida for the revision but my husband was very uncomfortable with my having a revision with no prior test required by the surgeon and he doesn't like the idea of my being opened up when the surgery can be done lap.  So, I decided not go with him.  I'm going to use a surgeon closer to home who will perform the surgery laparscopically.  As far as what you should do I think the DS has the best results also but many insurance do not cover this surgery type.  I would not spend anymore of my own money paying for a surgery.  It is too expensive and you never know when you will need that money.  I have a consultation at the end of this month and I am going to discuss the lapband as an option ( which I have reservations about but I am willing to consider) or about having the doctor bypass me some more and tighten up my pouch.  I will keep everyone posted.  I think you should also consider these options if insurance will pay.
Most Active