~~ Scared ~~

debra O.
on 10/12/07 5:42 am - MN

I went to see Dr. Rupp yesterday, and he has suggested the RNY to replace the vertical band I have now and have not had any success in the past 10 years. I am scared that this might not work either, has anyone gotten a revision form the vertical to the RNY and if so, how was the turn out for them. What are the cons and pros of the RNY? Any information you can give will be most helpful.

I thought about just having the band removed and not have anything but the Doctor said he does not advise it – what do you think?

VGB Banded 1997   Band Removed 12.04.07  RNY Revision 12.04.07

Kat-Szak
on 10/12/07 8:45 am - Ellwood city, PA
I don't know everything about this stuff. Is the vertical banding like a stapled bypass or is that the one where they put a band around the  stomach? I had the staple to the stomach that makes a little pouch. and it strached. now i'm going back for the rny . i am scared too.
zappre
on 10/13/07 3:03 am

Hi Debra, On November 20th, my VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty aka Stomach Stapling) is being revised to a DS (Duodenal Switch).  I got the VBG in 1990 but it failed and I'm as heavy as ever.  I'm nervous, of course, but I've decided that my weight is too much of a problem not to deal with it.  I decided on the DS for many reasons but one of the main ones was the fact that the DS affords the best chance to avoid regain - I'm not doing that again.  If you're curious about the DS, stop by the DS board and ask around.  In any event, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

m.espoir
on 10/14/07 4:55 am - NJ
I agree with zappre, I dont want to go thru another one! I am also going to DS in 3 weeks. I want it to be permanent this time around! Good luck!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/07 9:46 am - TX
Just wanted to pop in and say good luck.  You've got a PM. 
Most Active