Has anyone had the E.R.O.S. revision?

nan c
on 9/19/07 10:46 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi,  Has anyone out there been approved to participate on the EROS (endolumenal Revision of Obestity Surgery) with Columbia Presbyterian in NYC??? It's similar to Stomaphyx. It's still in clinical trials, and it seems as though they are extremely about who qualifies for the study. Has anyone had the procedure, yet, with Dr. Bessler? Nan
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/07 12:19 pm
Hi Nan- I haven't had it but I was aggressively pursuing it.  I live in Ohio and this is being done in NYC...travel would be an issue so I ended up dropping it.  I do know that they require you to have at least a 4cm length pouch and they said that a lot of patients were not qualifying because the size of their pouch was too small for their instruments.  Supposedly a "next generation" device is coming in next month that will allow for 3cm length pouches.  I'm currently being evaluated to participate in another study locally at the Cleveland Clinic that just reduces the size of the stoma but leaves the pouch alone.  So far I've done the Upper GI and the Upper Endoscopy and on Friday I'm  having the rest of my tests done to see if I can do this.  Anatomically I do qualify but I have to see the dietician and the psychologist first.  I hope it's just routine.   Good luck pursuing this.  If I didn't have to make so many trips there and back I would have loved to have done this!
nan c
on 9/20/07 12:39 pm - Brooklyn, NY

Hi Lullaby123,

I was told by Nancy, the nutritionist, that there are two other hospitals, besides Columbia Presbyterian, that are part of the study. I live in NYC, so this is good for me. My insurance will not pay for Stomaphyx, because there isn't enough data on it yet. My surgeon did an upper endoscopy in July, before I found out that my insurance wouldn't pay for stomaphyx. From the endoscopy I found out that my pouch is 5cm long. Tomorrow, Dr. Bessler at Columbia Presbyterian is also doing an upper endoscopy, so he'll then be able to tell me whether I qualify or not. I did hear that they began clinical trials in May, and only found 5 patients who qualified. Thanks, Nan

Cheryl J.
on 9/24/07 9:28 am
Im one of the 5 patients that are qualified for the EROS procedure. I havent had mine yet.  I am waiting for the new device that Dr. Bessler will be getting form the company. This new device is shorter, so he will be able to be more agressive with making the pouch and stoma shorter.  I am 5cm also, which is at the borderline.  I should be getting it done in November. I just saw Dr. Bessler 9/18.
Most Active