Will Stomaphx reduce the size of my stoma?

n2livin
on 9/14/07 6:43 pm - Lees Summit, MO

Help; I'm seeking informatin on Stomaphx.  I had RN Y 7/2002 and lost 170 lbs but have since gained 35 pounds.  I would like to loose another 80 lbs.  I see my rny surgeon is doing it.  Does insurance pay for this?  I had surgery in Fresno, CA but live in the midwest.  I had my annual bariatric checkup today with the local bariatric surgeon.  I asked him if my pouch had stretched and was told no but that the stoma which leads to the pouch had.  I have an ulcer and will have a endoscopy so that he can look at the ulcer.  Is there a process to reduce the size of the stoma while he is already in there?

Thanks TJAy

Nanna050
on 11/16/08 7:39 am - Pleasant Hill, CA
Hi:

I am going in tomorrow 11-17 to see a doctor in Reno, NV about the Stomaphx, if you'd like I will let you know what happens. I do know that I will more than likely have to have an upper GI to see if in fact the stoma is stretched, but I will learn more about this tomorrow and can get you some literature if you'd like. Below is my email address just let me know in the subject line that I sent you an email thru obesity.com. Or I will check back here in a day or so.

Nancy

email addy: [email protected]
mew6495
on 11/16/08 7:56 am, edited 11/16/08 7:57 am - MI
 Hi TJay,

There have been numerous other postings here about the Stomaphx procedure and the majority of them have not come back with favorable results for the individuals who have underwent the procedure.  The Rose procedure is getting the same feedback results.   I would definitely check into this a bit further before making a decision to proceed forward with it.  

Many insurance companies do not pay for it yet because they see it as experimental at this point.  I have seen others who are trying to reduce the size of their stoma have a procedure called Schelotherapy (SP??) and they have been reporting good results to date.  This is where they go down through your throat and inject a substance around your stoma opening to create scar tissue to close it back up.  It may take several applications but it can give you your restriction back.  This may be another avenue for you to check out.

Good Luck!
Most Active