Upper Endoscopy Support Needed

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/07 2:20 am
I am having an upper endoscopy tomorrow and I'm starting to freak out.  I have a strong gag reflex and I'm afraid this is going to be a horrible experience for me.  Can anyone share their experiences..positive or negative-either way! By the way, the reason I'm having this done is that I've decided to participate in the endoscopic gastric bypass repair of the stoma study for patients who have had previous gastric bypass surgery.  There are a couple of treads below mine that talk about it.  There are 10 hospitals across the country that are perfoming this study...Brigham Women's in Boston, one in NYC, Vanderbilt in TN, (I can't recall the rest) and mine is at the Cleveland Clinic.   Here is the link again for anyone interested: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00394212  and then there's an email link on that page to get more information about where the locations are, details, etc. Support needed!!!!  Please!!  
Trudy O.
on 9/12/07 3:07 am - TN
They spray a numbing medicine down your throat.  I was so drugged I don't remember if I gagged or not.  I remember them talking some, but not anything else.  Contious sedation, a wonerful thing.  By the way I didn't qualify for the study, my pouch was too small.  But my stoma was larger than the device would measure.  Good Luck.  It's not that bad. Trudy

SW 280  CW 170 GW 180

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/07 3:54 am
Thanks Trudy for responding.   I'm probably still going to be the one person who has the traumatic experience-lol.   I didn't realize that pouch size was a factor for this study.  I know in a few of the stomaphyx-TYPE of studies (EROS, etc)  they're conducting now, you have to have a certain size pouch for the instruments otherwise they can't do it.  I had an upper GI on Friday and according to the doc my pouch is "normal."  I hope they don't nix me on this procedure.  I really want to make this one work. 
zappre
on 9/12/07 3:49 am
Ironically, I had my upper-GI endoscopy just yesterday and was concerned about the same things.  I had the throat numbing spray and an IV with a pain killer and sedative.  Overall, I'd say it was painless.  I gagged occasionally, but it passes.  He actually told me afterwards that I have a strong gag reflex, which I didn't know, yet I found it quite tolerable.  The procedure is quick and the only discomfort is the actual occasional gagging, which is tolerable.  It's a good idea to focus on something to look at and concentrate on it.  It'll go by quickly and you'll do great.  Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/07 3:58 am
Thank you Zappre!  It sounds like the drugs really make you forget...or make it tolerable, or both.  I really wish they would knock me out completely.   I'll beg, but I doubt they will-lol. 
annette J.
on 9/12/07 8:07 am - BIG CREEK, KY
HELLO. I AM THINKING ABOUT A REVISION. BUT AS INFORMED AS I WAS ABOUT OPEN RNY. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT OR WHAT IS DONE IN A REVISION.. CARE TO ENLIGHTEN ME? LOL  THANKS  NETTE1960
BBoop
on 9/12/07 5:01 pm
I'll be having one of those soon.  How long did it take? Betty
BBoop
on 9/12/07 5:02 pm
How long did the procedudre take?  Were you able to drive yourself back home afterwards? Thanks, Betty
zappre
on 9/13/07 1:01 am
You are absolutely not permitted to drive yourself home.  They won't let you leave if you don't have a driver or cab.  The procedure itself took maybe 5 minutes from insertion to removal. I was at the place for about an hour and a half.  First intake questions like medical history.  Then description of the procedure.  Blood pressure taken.  Then entry into the room.  Get on a table.  IV put in.  Mouthpiece to bite on inserted into mouth with hole in it.  Turn on side.  Endoscope inserted.  And on and on.  It really wasn't too bad.  Best of luck.
BBoop
on 9/13/07 2:40 am
Thanks...that doesn't sound too bad to me. B
Most Active