Endoscopic Gastric Bypass Repair @ BWH,Boston, Ma....

Sosvi001
on 2/13/12 6:26 am

Dr. Christopher Thomas is with the Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston.  I had gastro bypass surgery in March, 2000 after losing 131 pounds I regained 80 pounds over the past 3 tears.  After being checked out by Dr. Thompson I was found to have a fistula and he did gastro bypass revision on me where they sew the fistula closed and reduce the size of the stomach back to about 6cm which I think is a cup. They also make the outflow piece smaller.  His new procedure is called the Apollo procedure.  I had it done 4 weeks ago, you are on nothing but liquid protein shakes for 45 days, then 2 weeks of soft food, then back to the high protein diet but things that really have to be chewed.  It is not like the diet they gave us back in 2000.  You should not have protein shakes after this and you should not have easy to digest mushy foods that pass through quickly, now you are suppose to eat a balanced diet, still watching the proteins but chewing very thoroughly.  We still only retain about 20% of what we eat but if you eat like this it helps keep you full longer and stays in your stomach longer.  When I start to eat normally again it is suppose to be about 1000 calories per day.  No junk food of course.  I have lost 22 pounds in the four weeks mostly from prep and 3 days of not eating and now protein shakes.  They say when I eat soft food for two weeks I will regain some of the weight because it passes through quicker and you feel hungry, and of course I need to get back to regular exercise which I used to enjoy until I got heavy again :(

Sosvi001
on 2/13/12 6:34 am
P.S It took me almost a year to get my insurance company to approve this; I can't tell you how many letters and literature went back and forth.  They wanted me to have laproscopic surgery which is 5 days in the hospital verses a 2 hour outpatient procedure, and of course laproscopic has a higher mortality rate after having original bypass.  If your insurance will only approve this laproscopic procedure an excellent doctor to see if David Lautz Director of Bariatric surgery at Women and Brighams also.
PAULA B.
on 5/21/12 10:38 am - KY
Can you please give us a update on your progress?
adamsmcneill56
on 4/27/15 5:02 am

Hi it's been several years now since you had this procedure done, can you give me an update on your progress.

AmyS44
on 9/28/10 10:22 am
I have read everyone's e:mails and would appreciate some help.  I have been interested in the Stomaphyx procedure for a while.  I had my gastric bypass surgery in 2000 and lost over 150 lbs.  I have since gained back at least 60 and have tried losing on my own but cannot control my hunger.  I completely understand everyone's embarassment over gaining weight back, I hate facing the people at work since they have seen me before and after and now with the regaining of the weight I feel like a major failure.  I have heard of Dr. Thompson before but do not know what hospital he is affiliated with, can someone help me with this?  Good luck to everyone and hope to get an answer soon.
Most Active