5 days post Stomaphyx

sopralto
on 9/9/07 2:58 pm - WA
OK, I am here, as your own personal guinea pig, to tell you all my experience with Stomaphyx.  I had the procedure done 5 days ago. I am on full liquids and will be for 3 weeks total. I do not feel any hunger, whatsoever. I am very pleased with this. I started sipping in the recovery room and have no problem drinking or eating soup. These do not make me feel full, but I am going slowly because I want to be careful. I eat about 1/2 cup of pudding or yogurt and I feel full for hours. The sore throat, headache and fat lip are gone. I have numbness in my lip, which must have been injured with the bite block or whatever they used. I get painful stomach cramps several times a day, and believe me, they are painful. The doctor ordered liquid pain meds and this helps. I feel this pain also when I have to burp. I am not surprised by this pain, I expected, when they clipped my stomache, it would feel different. I have lost 2.5 lbs according to my scale, but am in the next size smaller jeans. That was fast, but you know, liquids! Hard to overdo!      I am feeling happy with the results and hopeful. I want to say  something and I am not sure how to express so bear with me. I see people expressing doubt as the the "worthiness" or effectiveness of the Stomaphyx procedure. It is too new to know long term how it will turn out. I was one of the early RNYers too. I looked at my own weight loss history, dieting history, surgical history, eating behaviors, risk tolerance, financial resources and the recommendations of a few bariatric surgeons and felt this procedure was right FOR ME. I am determined to follow the rules this time, as I am more educated now because of the internet. If the stomach or stoma stretch out again, I still have the malabsorption of a 75cm common channel of a DS. My cir****tances are unique. I share so much info with others because I believe it will help them make their own decisions based on their own special cir****tances. I wish there was more data, but I am happy to be a pioneer or else a fool depending on how this all plays out. I am a risk taker. Others will feel more comfortable waiting until years of research has been done and the results are in. I wish everyone the best advice and surgical skill and may many better procedures be invented in the future. Maybe they will figure out a cure without surgery some day, but I will have a life while waiting for that to happen.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/07 3:28 pm
Thanks so much for your detailed review of your Stomaphyx experience.  I'm looking forward to my own phyx with your same doc Schlesinger.  It sounds like the restriction comes as the meal gets thicker.  I will want to have your same resolve when I get mine and keep myself on liquids as long as possible to allow for the best results.  I too want to follow the rules better this time around.  Paying out of pocket is a motivator and knowing that the stomaphyx is about a third of what a revision would be will hopefully keep me honest so I don't have to go another round. I look forward to each of your posts and sincerely wish you the best possible outcome!  ....glad there are risk takers willing to tell their story........ July
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/07 12:52 pm - TX
Good luck sopralto.  I hope this works for you.  I know you've been through a lot.
Contessa81626
on 9/12/07 6:35 am - NJ

Hi there! I'm new to this board and well first off congratulations on all your achievements!  I know its a long journey I myself am 2yrs 8mths post op and down 130lbs my lowest was 145lbs down I had gained about 25 lbs and lost 10 but just cant seem to lose that extra 15 to get me to where I was.  I have been attending support group meetings and they grazed the topic of a stomaphyx procedure.  I was wondering if you might be able to tell me about the procedure and if there are any complications different than the initial gastric bypass?  Any information would be a great help..  Good Luck!

Most Active