Kaci's Stomaphyx Journey

Kaci Campbell
on 8/29/07 1:00 am - Avondale, AZ
It's been 2 weeks since my procedure.  Check out my page for a few details.
WJ
on 8/29/07 6:18 am - Miami Beach, FL
Hi Kaci,  I was horrified by your experience.  Hopefully, it turns out to be everything you want!  I had my Phyx last week, but again, I took for granted that this is just a "procedure" and not "surgery" like our original RNY. Hang in there! Wendy
avl
on 8/31/07 6:25 am
I'm considering it. how was yours
darnell239
on 8/29/07 8:14 am - Columbia, SC
Kaci, Your experience was horrible and frightening.  You could have died!  I sure hope you get some good long term results after this experience.
Shelley S.
on 8/29/07 5:00 pm - Belmont, CA
Wow, Kaci!  I'm glad you are okay now.  How scary.  Did the perforation of the esophagus happen from the tools?  Did the Dr ever address that?  It sounds like a rare thing, but definitely reminds us of the risks.  Thanks so much for sharing and please keep us posted on your progress. ~Shelley
Kaci Campbell
on 8/29/07 8:48 pm - Avondale, AZ

According to the CT scan, it was a hairline perforation or very small puncture.  It didn't need surgery to repair so that was good.  I didn't ask what caused it, but I would assume that the tool used for the procedure nicked my esophagus.  I saw the Doctor yesterday and I will be off work for another 2 weeks. It's been a rough time so far, but I'm hopeful that it will be over soon.

Amyiable
on 8/29/07 9:59 pm
Kaci, I hope it will be over soon too!  Does it hurt to eat or drink?  Seems like protein & vitamins would be needed to help heal.  But vitamins might be hard for you to swallow.  Gosh, my heart goes out to you.... at least you know you will get better!     Thank you for writing your story.   I'm sorry the 14 lbs loss came at this price... but since you have it,  congratulations.  Amy
sopralto
on 8/30/07 8:38 am - WA

Will insurance cover your hospitalization?

Kaci Campbell
on 8/30/07 11:07 am - Avondale, AZ
I think it covers 80%.  I'm scared to find out what "my" portion is.
sopralto
on 8/31/07 3:53 am - WA
Did your insurance cover the stomaphyx procedure? Many insurance companies say if they don't cover the procedure, they won't cover any complications. That is my biggest worry. I feel the stomaphyx procedure is very safe, but nothing is completely safe, as you can attest. It is encouraging that your insurance covered complications, if they did not cover the actual endoscopic procedure.
Most Active