Failed Lap Band-deciding between RNY and DS..? Help?

m.espoir
on 8/27/07 1:38 pm - NJ
Hi, I had a rather bad emergency removal of a 60% eroded lap band and haved had to heal for 6 months, and I have gone from 240 to 160 (I was SO happy! : ) but now back up to 226. UUUGHHH. I am waiting on approval for a revision, my doc said the RNY was very effective, but I see that SO many people 4 and 5 yrs later are getting revisions to DS! Perhaps the DS is the better way to go, due to the fact that the stomach/stoma are basically like nature intended, but there is still the malapsorption factor? All the DS people seem so happy! I even read a site where one DS woman claims its kind of the "lazy" way (no offense I am sure!) But that she REALLY admired all the RNYers and Bandsters for all the rules they have to follow, cause she doesnt have to follow very many like that at all, with the DS, and the weight comes off and stays off anyway! So now I am leaning on the DS side, but, I do like sweets, so then I wonder if it is better that I get the horrible dumping to keep me away from them. I am SO confused. Any advise would be very welcomed! thanks....
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/07 6:12 am
Come on over to the DS board and ask your question.  there are a few former bandsters that have been revised to the DS. You'll get lots of responses (and yes, sometimes it seems lazy, but trust me, it's not - it's life altering but it's certainly faaaar better in my opinion than anything else I researched). Good luck to you. Sharon
zappre
on 8/28/07 3:07 pm
It's a really individual decision but for my part, I have a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty from 1990 that failed much like your Lap Band and I can't abide going through surgery again only to regain again.  After lots of research, the bottom line for me was the data that shows that DS'ers lose more and keep it off better, and that I kept seeing postings by RNY'ers who had regained some or all of their weight.  I feel so bad for them and kinda relate so I want as little chance of going there as possible.  With that said, those may not be your criteria and you do need to remember that you actually can't be 'lazy' with DS because if you ever slack off on eating enough protein or taking your supplements, you would endanger your life.  It's serious, but so is MO.  Keep asking questions and you'll reach YOUR right decision.
Lori C.
on 8/29/07 4:18 pm - San Jose, CA

If you are concerned about the malabsorbtion have you considered the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, also known as VSG.  Visit the forum and message board if you have any questions.  I don't know if it would be right for you, but it is another option. Lori

Marilyn J.
on 8/29/07 11:17 pm - Bloomfield, NE
   Hi I also had lapband done in 04 and want a revision, But I have decided on the DS because I really don't want to deal with another pouch and start again.  I'm also a sweet eater and they   say the DS takes that urged away but later down the road you will beable to bring it back in but   maybe not as often.( Maybe thats why we are on these sites looking for help. )   How long did you have your band in before it started to eroded on you?  Just do your home work  and decided for yourself  Marilyn
hayley_hayley
on 9/4/07 11:43 am
i know i am going to want sugar and i dont want my body to punish me with physical pain b/c i decided to have a slice of cake on my birthday. some people say they dont dump but i wouldnt risk it. this is forever. i want my cake and to eat it too! The long term results speak for themselves. I just wanted to be the closest to normal (while still having wls) as possible. i encourage you to post on the DS forum. 

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

leatha_g
on 9/19/07 1:41 pm - Abilene, TX
Another possible revision fro mlapband.  I've had two bands. 1st installed May, 2003. 2nd installed July 2004 due to slippage. It was never the same.  I lost 75lbs and have gained back about 20lbs over the past 3 years.  I simply CANNOT go back to my original weight of 250 on this 5ft body.  I have approval for Gastric Bypass, but I have some rather serious issues which I really have to talk over with my doctor and my God.  I am going forward with all the evaluations and seems like I have to make my final decision pretty soon.  It's a disappointment, to be here, deciding on a life-altering surgery - yet again.  Ugh.   I can use all the prayers and information I can get.  Thanks Leatha
cyberdonna
on 9/29/07 1:42 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Well, I can tell you, if dumping is one of your only reasons for choosing RNY over DS, you shouldn't choose RNY. I have so minimal dumping that it's not a deterrent. If you chose RNY and found out you didn't dump, would you still be happy with it?

I'm early postop and happy with my choice, but I think all surgery types can work for someone. One thing to consider is whether you can keep up with the higher protein demands of DS. If you're not much of a meat eater, this will be a problem.

Most Active