stomaphyx scheduled

sopralto
on 8/23/07 10:33 am - WA
I have an appt Sept 4 to have the stomaphyx procedure that will be performed by Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix. My decision was based on the following:  1. I only lost 70lbs after my RNY 15 yeras ago and had regained ALL the weight I lost  plus 10lbs more. I had a revision to a biliarypancreatic diversion 11 months ago and lost 70lbs.  2. I chose not to have my RNY pouch made smaller for several reasons, one of which is that after 15 years it would be impossible to get my pyloric valve to work. Also the risks are much higher.  3. Now I found a way to get my pouch smaller at much, much lower risk. I still have 30-40lbs to lose. I want to do this while my malabsorption is still at its greatest...that should be 18-24months.  4. At our support group I was told that the smaller stomach helps weight loss and the malabsorption helps keep it off. My daughter has a small gastric sleeve with her DS and she has lost twice as much weight as I have. I look at her and she is so happy, she doesn't seem to miss food at all, doesn't get hungry and still enjoys food. I just never had much restriction for the last...oh...10 years or so. I have been eating at salad bars the last week, mourning that I will lose the ability to eat lots of food at a time, but am determined this is the right course of action. Do people who have lap bands and RNYs have second thoughts about going back to eating small amounts? What about those contemplating stomaphyx?
Cathy W.
on 8/23/07 11:24 pm
I had the StomaphyX procedure almost one month ago.  I am so happy.  I've already lost 1/3 of the excess that I want to lose.  The thing that I've noticed and love the most (although the weight loss is wonderful!) is my obsession with eating - what I just ate, what I want to eat, how much will I add on if I eat this, etc.  I feel back in control again.  My restriction, similar to what I felt with my RNY, is back.  I am protective of my new pouch and stoma so I am VERY compliant.  Why overstuff my new pouch and compromise the fasteners, pouch, and stoma?  I had this procedure for a reason and I want to protect it. I'm eating 1/3 of a cup 4 times a day most of the time.  That satisfies me and I'm fine.  I've had to relearn what "full is".  Full is satisfied and yes, you could eat more, but you don't have to.  Rather than eating to a 9-10 on a hunger scale, I'm eating to 7-8.  I've relearned (just like with my RNY) that 7-8 is satisfied and my "new" full. The weight loss is slower than with my original RNY.  I don't have the malabsorption like we do right after our RNY. The weight loss is wonderful but so are the mental adjustments I've made.  Cathy  
Nita S.
on 8/27/07 7:11 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Cathy, I am 10 days out from my stomaphyx, and am a bit concerned.  i am still on full liquids, and have no restriction at all.  I wonder why, I know that it is said that when I start to eat solid food that the restriction will be there.  When I had my original RNY in 2000, I could not even drink very much until I was about 3 months out, so why is this so different?  Any advice would be appreciated. Nita
Amyiable
on 8/24/07 3:28 am
I felt like you, & I had many last meals prior to my SP procedure.  But I knew I HAD to go for this, because I really really need help with my eating! I had my StomaphyX just two days ago.  My idea of what I can eat is very different now.  The day after surgery, I could only drink 1 cup total, in sipping all day long.  Today is much easier already, I can tell.  I will probably get in 2 cups of fluids.   I'm drinking water, apple juice, protein powder in water.  That's it.  Maybe 200 calories today.  I am trying to get some vitamins in today.  Last night I got up thinking I'm hungry, & wanted a bowl of cereal.  I actually started to walk down the hall towards the kitchen.  Ha.  I realized soon that there was no way I could get any cereal in me.  I went back to bed. Amy
kelleykeith
on 8/24/07 10:16 am - New York, NY
Congrats, Amy.  Please continue to keep us posted on your progress. 
tina01
on 8/24/07 3:45 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi, Good for you for making a decision to do what you can.  I'm also scheduled for SP, the 29th.  I am so worried, what if I'm still hungry?  It really freaks me out when I'm hungry, I panick.  I don't know if it's from not having enough food as a kid, or the lifetime of dieting.  Anyway, we all hope and pray that this does for us what we need it to do, and for what it can't, that we will have the strength to do for ourselves.

Good luck.

Tina

stacy B.
on 9/2/07 12:20 am - Wantagh, NY
I suggest you read Kaci's stomaphyx journey on this messae board and think twice about having the procedure by him.
sopralto
on 9/2/07 1:27 am - WA
Yes, I read her post word for word twice. However, since I work in health care I understand that every invasive procedure has risks. We all hope ours goes smoothly, but there is always a chance of perforation with any endoscopic procedure. This is still lower risk over all than a surgical revision. Thanks for the warning. I will post so all can learn how my experience went.
Most Active