How long before being approved for revision

ItsMyTurn
on 8/23/07 2:22 am
RNY on 08/28/13

How long do you typically have to try one wls before you can qualify for a revision.   From Lapband to RNY

250/193/150
Heaven is where you'll be when you're okay right where you are. (Borrowed from a friend)

Cathy A.
on 8/23/07 5:49 am - Modesto, CA

I  had to go through the exact same things I did the first time. It was more really because I had to go to the Drs orientation and have a stress test because I was over 50 this time. It took a few months.

ItsMyTurn
on 8/23/07 6:22 am
RNY on 08/28/13

Well You answered my question with your signature line.  I was really wondering how long between the first surgery and your revision was considered a fair try by the insurance in hopes that they would pick up the tab. Thanks!

250/193/150
Heaven is where you'll be when you're okay right where you are. (Borrowed from a friend)

Ms TJ P.
on 8/23/07 10:52 am - VA
I was in my doctors office today to see if my insurance will approve me for a revision to rny, and I ask the the lady who actually submits the info, could she tell me off the top of her head do the insurance usually approve patients with this request. She said  sometimes they do and sometimes they don't it really depends on what type of insurance you have. But she said, just this past week an insurance co. denied a lady due to the length of time she had her band which was about 6 months.  
bradshaw0506
on 8/23/07 10:09 pm - Chicago, IL
I know my doctor wouldn't consider a revision of any sort without first trying for a good year to 18 months. I had an RNY back in 1999, and am just now getting the courage up to have my revision or even ask for one.  Revision is common now, but for those of us from the old school it's a hard thing to swallow when you have to raise your hand and ask for help. I wouldn't be so quick to ask for a revision, let the band work for you and work with you doctor so you can hit your sweet spot.  Don't have buyers remorse just yet. Take care. P.s. I apologize if this isn't what you want to hear right now, but it's the truth as I see it.
Cathy A.
on 8/23/07 11:00 pm - Modesto, CA
Hi Noel, I was wondering why you are thinking about a revision so soon. I had a hard time at first with my band because there was no restriction but now that I do have enough my band is working as well as I was doing when I had my RNY. I lost 15 pounds last month and most RNY lose about 10 a month after about 8 months. I am 10 months out so I am very happy and the lose has not stoped I have lost 3 pounds this week.    This is what I am doing. No bread or sweets and I limit my food to one cup. Three meals a day. If I have a snack it is a piece of fruit. I am using the book "The Beck Diet Soution" to fix my head and it is truly helping me and I have read many books before this one is the best.   With any WLS you have to use it as a tool. There is no magic bullit.  Every WLS is lots of work. I had to surrender my will and stick with the program and guess what its working.
ItsMyTurn
on 8/24/07 12:29 am
RNY on 08/28/13

Just keeping my options open.  I have not gained any weight and am losing very slowly.  I have had 4 fills 2-3 weeks apart and at my last one my doc was very apprehensive becuse using flouro he could see I am very tight but after 4 days the restricition was almost gone.  I still have symptoms of restriction but not enought ot make me lose what I consider a significant amount of weight.  2-4 lbs a month is not good enough.  And even that has not been consistent.  I do watch what I eat but I would love to have the feeling of not being able to finish my food even if its available.  I always have to stop myslef because I could still eat more. I am afraid if I fill anymore I will be too tight.  I just want to get the show on the road.  I don't have much to lose. If I were being modest 40lbs would be great but at this rate it will take a year!

250/193/150

Cathy A.
on 8/24/07 3:58 am - Modesto, CA
I really wanted to get this weight off and I kept playing around trying to feel full and thinking I was able to eat to much. I wanted the band to stop me. So I decided to do what I said in previous post. The thing is when I started measuring my food to one cup and only eating that then stoping I am amazed that I can go for hours without getting hungry. My Dr is always reminding me that is saiety not restriction we are looking for. I do think I could eat more but I just don't. My high weight was 388 so believe me I could put the food away. Try to give up some of your food, I am surprised at how really easy this last month has been.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/07 11:40 pm - TX

I have BCBS PPO and it took less than a month.  I had my revision from RNY to DS a year ago today, as a matter of fact and I'm so happy that I took so long to look into my options for revisions because due to that, I found out about the DS.  No more dumping, vomiting, food getting "stuck", strictures, I can take NASAIDS, and best of all, no fear of something mechanically breaking (like my staple line disruption and stoma enlargment with my RNY), so therefore no fear of regain!

Read my profile if you'd like to know more.  Lots of pictures.

Sorayal R.
on 8/30/07 10:41 pm - Hampton, VA
 I'm having a hard time gettiing my doctor to set a date.  I'm hoping to have a revision soon.  I have had an upper GI, X-rays and a colonoscopy.  Tuesday I'll have an endoscopy.  I'm getting discourage.  Helpful advice accepted!!!
Most Active