Does Anyone know how many different Revisions there are?

smittygirl
on 8/23/07 4:46 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi Nan,  you might want to try the surgicallyslim program at Mt. Sinai Hosp. in New York. They are looking for candidates for the Stomaphyx procedure. They only require that you lost 1/2 your excess weight from your original surgery. Good luck.
nan c
on 8/26/07 2:27 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Smittygirl, Thanks for the tip about the program @ Mt. Sinai Hosp I'll call them tomorrow to see if I qualify as a candadate!!!  Nan
classite
on 8/26/07 3:39 pm - Battle Ground, WA
I checked their web site, they have a whole list of inclusion criteria including being at least 2 years out RNY, high BMI and significant weight gain.  I am going to give them a call tomorrow just to see on the off chance maybe they would take someone less than 2 years out with an 8 month plateau.  Thanks for the info.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/07 11:52 pm
I called them this morning @ 212-241-7438 and spoke with Emily Westheimer (the coordinator).  This is actually not StomaphyX, but the procedure is similar where it's done endoscopically.  They use sutures to reduce the size of your pouch and stoma.  I think Stomaphyx inserts a scarring agent, or something like that?  Either way, I'm getting some more information on it via email.  I'm open to doing either one-whichever is going to cost me less!!!    There's a section on their website surgicallyslim.com. 
smittygirl
on 8/27/07 1:08 am - Bridgeport, CT
Actually, it is the Stomaphyx. I spoke to Emily a couple of weeks ago. The on that make the scar tissue is called Sclerotherapy. It is the cheapest and they say it works slowly but surely.
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/07 1:55 am, edited 8/27/07 1:56 am
Wow-I just talked to her this morning and her exact words were "This is not Stomaphyx."  I emailed another contact there-Sarah Daniels and she replied back with  "Not Stomaphyx.  Please consult http://www.surgicallyslim.com/research_protocol_1.htm  for more information."

It sure sounds like the same thing to me even after reading the information at the above link.  Can anyone offer any insight on the differnce in procedures Mt Sinai is performing and stomaphyx?? Thanks for the clarification on the two procedures (schlerotherapy and stomaphyx)-I was wondering what the difference was!! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/07 4:37 am
OK!  I emailed the surgeon Dr. Daniel Herron asking him to clarify the difference.  It's over my head but this is his email reply:

"Thank you very much for your inquiry regarding revisional bariatric surgery. 

The USGI system uses tissue anchors, which are similar to pledgeted (reinforced) sutures. The Stomaphyx product uses tissue fasteners instead. 

If you have had a gastric bypass in the past but have regained substantial weight, there are several possible explanations. 

It is possible that your stomach pouch may have stretched and become larger over time, so that you can eat larger portions. It is also possible that the stoma, or connection between your stomach pouch and intestine, may have stretched out so that there is less food restriction. Another possibility is that the anatomy of the gastric bypass is fine but that the food you are eating may contain too many calories. 

We are conducting a study of a new surgical device here at Mount Sinai in which we use a minimally invasive endoscopic suturing device to reduce the size of your stomach pouch and stoma (intestinal connection). We are hoping that this will allow gastric bypass patients who have regained weight to improve their weight loss. The device is new, so the procedures are being performed under a special protocol. The procedure is being done for patients who have a pouch or stoma that has become enlarged over time. 

If you had good weight loss after your initial operation, but gained a substantial amount of weight back, you may qualify for participation in this protocol. Please call Dorothy, my administrative assistant, at 212-241-5339, to find out if this type of procedure would be appropriate for you. She will also be able to arrange for you to come in for a consultation to discuss this in person. 

Thank you very much for your interest in our program, and best of luck in your weight loss efforts!

Sincerely, 

Daniel M. Herron, MD, FACS Associate Professor of Surgery Chief, Section of Bariatric Surgery Director, Laparoscopic Fellowship Program Mount Sinai School of Medicine 1 Gustave L. Levy Place #1259 New York, NY 10029 212-241-5339"

nan c
on 8/27/07 12:05 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi All, Presently there are three new revisional procedures - Stomaphyx, EROS, and USGI. All are very similar. There are three companies that manufacture the equipment used in the procedures, and the pouch fasteners are slightly different; so, they're able to name their particular surgery - hence, the different names. EROS, like USGI, is a study done at Columbia Presebyterian Medical Center in NYC. If you qualify (same criteria as Dr Herron's at Mt. Sinai), and your insurance doesn't cover it, then the company that manufactures the equipment will fund it.  Presently I'm waiting for an appointment for an upper endoscopy for the EROS study. If my pouch is less than 4-inches long, I won't qualify - I have a sinking feeling that I won't be a good candidate, my a recent upper endoscopy stated that my pouch stretched wide and not long. It seems that their equipment is somewhat larger, and require a longer pouch to work within it. I was told by Dr. Bessler in the EROS study that the equipment that Dr. Herron uses is smaller and can work with shorter pouches. I do know that my the Stomaphyx equipment would work with my pouch,  and my original surgeon is the only one in the NorthEast doing the surgery at the moment, BUT, it's not a study, my insurance won't pay for it, and I don't have a spare $8500 to $10,000 I can lay out for the procedure.  So, for those out there, who are interested ... google the words - Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center and EROS and Dr. Marc Bessler - and maybe you'll have more luck than I've had. Good luck to all, Nan C
Sorayal R.
on 8/30/07 10:38 pm - Hampton, VA
 I'm having a hard time gettiing my doctor to set a date.  I'm hoping to have a revision soon.  I have had an upper GI, X-rays and a colonoscopy.  Tuesday I'll have an endoscopy.  I'm getting discourage.  Helpful advice accepted!!!
nan c
on 9/2/07 2:14 pm - Brooklyn, NY

What kind of revision are you having? and Why do you think the doctor is stalling in giving you a date? Could it be an insurance problem? My surgeon is doing the Stomaphyx, and because my insurance company is denying it (not enough evidence that it works) my doctor isn't as prompt about returning calls. There is a strong possibility I can appeal and have some sort of revision, by not the stomphyx. I feel that because stomphyx is new, my doctor isn't interested in doing some of the other revisional procedures - old toys compared to new toys?   So - what's your gut feeling? Will your insurance pay? Perhaps your doctor doesn't do many revisions and they don't feel comfortable with doing it? If this isn't the case - then get all the necessary tests, and stay on top of them. Remember - there's an old saying "the squeeky wheel gets the most attention "- call them, push them, and you'll become a big enough pain that they'll do what has to be done just to get you off their backs. Good luck  Nan

Most Active