Does Anyone know how many different Revisions there are?

nan c
on 8/22/07 10:38 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi! Recently my Insurance company denied my doctor's request for me to have the stomaphyx procedure - the basis is, too new and not enough long-term evidence that it works. BUT - according to the denial letter, I may qualify for a revision. What revisions are there? I'm about 80-lbs from an ideal weight (although I haven't put any weight back on), I'm 2-years post-op, and have severe sleep-apnea and joint pain (lower back, hip and knee). Nan C
emrettig
on 8/22/07 11:22 am
Nan, I really don't know how many different types of revisions there are.  A lot probably depends on what your initial surgery was.  The sleep apnea and joint pain may be part of what qualifies you for a possible revision.  I know I probably qualify because an ulcer has eaten through my staple line from my RNY and am having symptoms of severe heart burn.  The others can probably tell you more. Keep the Faith, Eileen
nan c
on 8/22/07 2:12 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Eileen, My original surgery was a RNY bypass, oh, I also found out recently that I have Barretts tissue, tissue distroyed by GERD, so now I have to take Nexium daily. I think I'll be able to appeal and have a revision, I just don't know what kind of revisions there are.  Thanks for your help and advise. Nan 
Cathy A.
on 8/22/07 11:54 pm - Modesto, CA
There are many different kinds of revisions, its just wls all over again. My friend had a revision where the Dr went in and made her pouch smaller and added a salastic ring. I had the band added to my pouch. My friend has not had much success with her revision because she choses to eat around her wls. My weight loss has been very slow but I can now say that I love my band it is working I have lost 37 pounds and am almost back to my lowest weight since RNY in 2002. The reason my band is working is I am following the rules I quit fighting them trying to eat whatever I wanted only small portions. I had to give up bread and sweets and limit my food. Until then I was not losing.  I have been using "The Beck Diet Solution Book" to fix my head and I think that has made the most difference. It is a combination of the band having enough restriction, working on head hunger and willingness to surrender my strong will that has me on the right track. Any WLS is not a magic bullit we have to change our eating for it to work.
nan c
on 8/23/07 9:55 am - Brooklyn, NY
Cathy, My eating habits aren't really that bad. I couldn't seem to understand why the weight came off so slowly - it took 3 months for the first 60-lbs to come off and then I lost between 1 and 2-lbs per week. Everyday I prayed the weight wouldn't stop. A nutritionist recently told me there are two reasons why this would have happened. (1) my BMI was over 50 (it was 57); and was told that people with BMI's over 50 rarely reach an ideal weight; (2) I was post-menapause when I had my bypass surgery, which accounts for slower metabolism and weight loss. I went to Curves 3xs per week, and worked very hard to lose the 130-lbs; but it stopped about 1-year ago. According to my BMI (36), I'm still considered obese - 213-lbs and I'm 5'5" tall. I'll look into the book you're reading - The Beck Diet Solution Book.  I'll research 'salastic ring' - is it anything like the lap-band? How do you feel about having a lap-band over your pouch. I never really liked the idea of a lap-band. Everything I read about it gave me the impression it was too restrictive, that I'm tied forever to my doctor for care. With the gastric-bypass, I only show up for visits twice a year and receive my general care from my internist. Please tell me how long ago you received the band, and how it's worked for you up till now. Thanks for all your help and advise. Nan
Cathy A.
on 8/23/07 11:36 pm - Modesto, CA
Hi Nan,     I know how it is to have the weight loss stop. Mine stopped at  abotu 14 months out from RNY. I weighed 250 pound which is way better than 388 but not acceptable to me. I was doing everything I could going to the gym and eating good. Then I had surgery on my foot and was not able to get around for almost 2 months I gained weight thought I could get it off when I went back to work but it didn't work then one year later I had surgery on the other foot, same thing happened more weight. I was frantic and depressed and hungry all the time. Had an upper GI and found out my Stoma was streched. There was no stomaphx then so got a band. The Dr said my pouch was still small.  When you get a band you do have to go back to the Dr as needed for fills. Most people get restriction after a few fills some only need one some don't even need any. After RNY it seems to take more fills than usual. I was moving along and was at 3cc in a 4cc band when I lost my fill some wierd thing that I have never read about happening to anyone else so I don't think you have to worry about it but it did set me back in that I had to start over with fills and I am not back at 3cc but it took about 4 months to get there. If your Dr is close it wouldn't take that long. Anyway I am 10 months out and have lost 37 pounds I am back to  my lowest weight in 3 years so I am happy. Now that I have restriction the weight is falling off just like when I had RNY so I am happy. Three months ago I was not so happy. Most people do not have trouble like me but any wls is a risk and it seems if there is a problem I will have it lol. I am 55 years old.
zappre
on 8/23/07 4:32 am
I'm in the process of arranging to have my VBG converted to DS (Duodenal Switch).  I find that alot of the people on the DS board had it revised ffrom RNY so that's one option for you.  The people on that board are almost unanimously thrilled with their results.  Best of luck.
nan c
on 8/23/07 1:16 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Zappre, Hi! Tell me why you'd want a Duodenal Switch - did you not reach an ideal weight? Have you put weight back on?  Are you worried about DS? Worried about vitamin and mineral absorbsion? It seems very drastic. I will go on to the DS board - something I hadn't thought of before. Good luck on your revision. Let me know how you do. Nan
zappre
on 8/23/07 3:22 pm
Hi Nan, I never got close to an ideal weight with the VBG and I'm currently 6' 350 lbs.  I'm not willing to have another surgery that has a risk of regain, and many who have the RNY regain alot or all.  I simply don't trust myself to change my habits.  Therefore, the DS is my only reasonable option.  I was much more concerned about the DS until I researched it and saw posting after posting on the DS board with nary a regret from anyone, and pretty much everyone reaching goal and staying there or close to there for a long time.  I know it's more dangerous if you don't follow the post-op rules but that fear is more of an incentive to me.  In any event, the malabsorptive part of the DS is reversible if it turns out I just can't do it.  So that's my decision.  Best of luck to you.
Nunyo B.
on 8/25/07 5:04 am
Hi Nan, I, too, am scheduled to have a revision from a failed SRVG (very similar to the VBG) to the DS on Oct. 3rd.  In your post your wrote "Are you worried about DS? Worried about vitamin and mineral absorbsion? It seems very drastic. "  The worry about vitamin and mineral absorbtion is the same whether or not you have an RNY or a DS.  Both procedures have issues with malabsorbing vitamins, which is why not matter which procedure you have you have to commit to taking supplements for the rest of your life.  With the DS you just malabsorb different ones than the RNY. The DS gets a bad rap a lot because of myths and inaccuracies that abound on the boards and from misinformed WLS surgeons.  I agree with Zappre, definitely check out the DS board and do your research.  I already have to go under the knife for a revision, and this time I'm going to make sure I do it right. Good luck to you!
Most Active