Help!!!Stumped, Confused, Only you understand

Catherine F.
on 8/22/07 6:25 am - Greendale, WI
  I need help only my confidantes on the Forum can give me right now. I have been doing a lot of research about revision surgery. Risks, complications, etc., etc., etc., only I've reached a point where I've hit a wall.  Don't know if it's research overload or whatever! I had a lap band removed after 3 slips, (surgeries done with each slip), gallbladder removed, and finally in June had the band taken out.  I talked with the surgeon about doing an RNY but he said before I can even consider it I have to heal for at least 6 months because of the previous surgeries. Not a problem! In the meantime the nurses called the Ins re: doing the RNY, (getting the approval). The Ins Co wouldn't approve without more documentation. Plus the nurses said they doubted the Ins. Co would approve because I had lost 60 lbs and my BMI wasn't high enough with at least 1 co-morbidity to qualify.  So I've been waiting, doing my researching.  Since the removal I've developed Pre-Diabetes, and I'm back on BP Meds.  My family Dr said he'd do a letter to recommend the RNY for these health reasons.  I've got an appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday to check the incision area and I want to tell him all about this, and hope that he will agree to do the revision surgery. Here's my dilemma!!! All this reading about the risks and complications and possibility that I won't lose a lot with a revision surgery has me worried.  I thought, who better to talk to than the people who've had it done.  That brought me HERE!!!   I need to know whatever info you can give me about this type of surgery. ANYTHING would be appreciated. Can you help?  I don't think I want to research anymore till I hear it from the "horse's mouth". Sorry, that's the only analogy I could think of. No disrespect. Thank you so much.

angel.gif angel image by tjonesssAngel Collector
                    Cathy

emrettig
on 8/22/07 11:25 am
Cathy, I wish I could help but I am in the same place you are.  I have read tons about revisions and am still very uneasy about going through with it.  Husband doesn't want me to do it at all.  I have some time before I have to decide.  My main question is what will happen if I don't have the revision done. Keep the Faith, Eileen
classite
on 8/22/07 3:04 pm - Battle Ground, WA
I think you would do fine with a revision as far as weight loss goes.  I think the only reason that people with previous RNY surgery don't lose as much with a revision is because there is no additional malabsorption with a typical revision.  If you are going from a lap band to an RNY or DS your body will be new to the malabsortion and you should take off quite a bit of weight.  This is just my personal opinion from reading other's stories on these boards.  Good luck in your decision. Cheryl
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Catherine F.
on 8/22/07 3:18 pm - Greendale, WI
Thank you to everyone for their input on my questions today.  I really needed your help, and you delivered as I knew you would.   I will see both the family Dr on Friday and surgeon on Tuesday. Wish me luck! Thank you all again so much.                    

angel.gif angel image by tjonesssAngel Collector
                    Cathy

LizaMay
on 8/23/07 3:12 am
Hey Girl;  I am with Cheryl;  I think with the RNY you will now have the effect of the malabsorbtion to aid in the weight loss.  As you know I am in the same boat as you and have surgery scheduled to remove the lap and go RNY on the 4th.  Please let me know how your MD appointment goes o.k.?  I will keep you in my prayers!  Lisa
Brittwoman
on 8/24/07 12:16 am - West Babylon, NY
I'll give you a little run down on my story...banded on 1/9/04...found slip on 6/1/07...had emergency surgery on 7/30/07 for band removal...ins. APPROVAL for revision to RNY on 8/8/07. But here's the catch...I had to do EVERYTHING all over again to get my approval! I had to have psych eval, dietician, pulmonary PFT's, endoscopy, abdominal sono, colonoscopy, primary care MD note, and proof of support group meeting attendance.
Once I completed all that I had insurance approval 3 days after everything was submitted. BTW...I had LOST 120 lbs with myband, but unfortunately I gained back 30 llbs
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/07 8:21 am - TX
I had a revision to a DS last year on Aug 25th and got to goal (actually under goal at 137) 2 days ago!  I love my DS. 
Most Active