Too big for StomaphyX ??

Amyiable
on 8/19/07 11:57 am
Is it possible that the StomaphyX could not work on someone who's stoma is too large? ... or if the stoma is "twice the size of a fist"?  One reason I'm asking is... clearly, my stoma is large.   I do not like to admit this, because most people are not like me.  Quite frankly, it's terribly embarrassing.  I do everything I can to hide this information.    I can eat a normal person under the table, & then do it all over again two hours later.  I can put away a spread like you would not believe.   My surgery (10 yrs ago) did not create restriction.  My surgeon liked big pouches.   I do not know what it's like to throw up, or for food to get stuck.  The other reason I'm asking is that someone called one of the surgeons about her own upcoming procedure ... and during the conversation learned that someone else went in for the SP but it could not be done because her stoma was the size of two fists.  I understand this is hear say, but my question remains.   Originally, I was told that the SP could just keep adding rows to reduce the pouch no matter what size.  I was told that the only limit was for places in which the tool could not reach.  If a stoma is too large, then this is new information to me.  Thanks for any thoughts you have. Amy
tina01
on 8/20/07 2:48 am - Wilmington, DE
Hi Amy, Have you researched getting a revision?  I'd see a surgeon who specializes in revisions, that's where I'd start if it was me.  Also, a two-fisted stoma sounds a bit on the extreme size.  That's the size of a heart... Good luck, Tina
Most Active