Revision from lapband to rny

jass28
on 8/6/07 11:45 am - A Town, NJ
So here it goes.  I had lapband surgery almost a yr ago.  I have lost maybe 20lbs since surgery.  I am looking into getting a revision.  As you can see on my signature I was a self pay and boy do I wish I would have researched a little more before having surgery.  I am addicted to sweets and I am so frustrated with this surgery.  It's not just the sweets, I have had 5 fills and I can eat huge amounts of food.  I get stuck often and its an awful feeling.  My new insurance now covers wls and I am thinking of getting a revision. I contacted NYU hospital to start the process but since one of their docs had lapband surgery they are trying to talk me into waiting about 4 more months before having a revision.  I don't want to wait anymore.  I am afraid that my insurance will change again next year and then I will be SOL if that happens.  I made an appt and I am going to tell the doc that I don't want to wait.  I am so confused guys.  Can you shed some light? Disclaimer: the only reason I am not staying with my previous surgeon is because he's out of network.  He is an amazing surgeon and I wish I could stay with him but with the debt of my lapband surgery i can't afford it. Thanks a million for your help.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Mary_J
on 8/7/07 4:08 am
Do your research and find a doc that does the surgery you want, or who does all the surgeries you're looking into.  If you paid for your first surgery, you sure must be willing to travel a bit to find a doc that fits your needs.  Just a word of advice . . if you're thinking about DS, don't ask any doctors about it that don't regularly DO them.  Check out duodenalswitch.com for a list of docs.  Others may SAY they do them and then just talk you out of one.  Just be educated completely before you make decisions.
LeanneM
on 8/9/07 12:51 am
I am with you on this!  I had the lapband and lost about 40 pounds. I can eat ALOT still and my band is over half full.   When I asked the doctor about it, he simply said  "You aren't supposed to do that".  He then asked me "Why don't you want to stick to the diet".  Well, uh, if I could stick to a diet, I wouldn't be fat.  anyway,   I wish that I had prepared myself more.  I was so excited when my insurance said they would pay that I just said,  Sign me up for the Lap Band.  I had several friends who had Gastric Bypass and had done very well. I assumed the Lap Band would do the same thing with less risk.   The thing with Lap Band is that if you can get it down to the big stomach, it is like you never had surgery.    I liked that it was reversable.  But I need a permanent solution. I am still worried about Gastric Bypass. I keep thinking that I am mangling the body that God gave me.  It is a good body and has served me very well. for over 30 years.  I am still very strong and able to get around. I have no pain to speak of.  However, I weight 375 pounds and I know that if I don't do something, my luck will not hold out.  So I think I have to give it a shot. But I am going to be meticulous in my search for a new doctor that provides lots of support and counseling.  I can definitely fail with Gastric Bypass too because I have heard of others who gain their weight back after a few years when they stretch the pouch out. So I need to deal with my demons in order to be successful. I would love to go to Houston to use some doctors there.  My sister lives there but I am not sure how long I would have to be there and I have a home business that it would be difficult to be away from for more than 2 weeks-not to mention the follow up care.   Well, thanks for letting babble on and on.  That is my talent you know! Leanne
GrannyLaLa
on 8/16/07 3:09 pm - South,, AR
You may want to check out VSG.  They take out most of your stomach COMPLETELY. leaving none behind like the RnY.  It's the first step of the DS and many find they can lose, and keep off, the weight they need to.  My my had ulcers that perforated through more than once.  Back in the 70's and earlier the treatment for persistent severe ulcers was removal of most of the stomach.  My mom lost quite a bit of weight back in the early 70's and dropped from over 200lbs to 135lbs and stayed there until her cancer treatments in 2003 (not related to the stomach surgery).  She's down to 119lbs right now.  She pretty much eats whatever she wants except for straight milk and some ice creams.  Lactose intolerant now.   Mom recently had to take all of her blood tests and check ups because she started on her Medicare at age 65.  She is on NO medication for ANYTHING, except she has osteoporsis which runs in her family.  She's taking extra calcium for that. No WLS is without side effects of some kind, so check out each board to see what are the most complaints there are about a WLS. 

Glitter Text

gonemadx3
on 8/30/07 5:35 am - East Peoria, IL
I am so with ya! I am in the process now going from lap band to rny. I am about 23 lbs heavier than the day I had the lap band put in. So, I say goo for it. Best wishes to you!

-Michele

lap band '05/revision to rny 11/21/07
5'6- hw/276 sw/242 cw/144 gw/140
then- bmi 36-39 now-bmi 24-
NORMAL WEIGHT

"It's  Not Who You Are On The Inside, It's What You Do That Defines You".....

or

Most Active