lap band over gastric bypass

darnell239
on 8/5/07 1:42 am - Columbia, SC
Does anyone know if a lapband can be put over a mini gastric bypass?  I was told by a doctor he would recommend a complete revision to the open RNY.  My concern is the potential problems that I can experience and I am not to keen on being gutted like a fish.  I'm thinking the lapband would be less invasive with less complications.  I know everyone is concentrating on the new stomaphx procedure however, I know that most insurance are not paying for that and I have to go with a procedure that insurance will pay for.  I appreciate any input anyone has.
Amyiable
on 8/5/07 11:27 am
Darnell, I know that lap bands are put on regular gastric bypass patients all the time.  I almost got one myself.  I don't know if a mini gastric bypass is any different.   One idea is that you could call doctors who perform both lap bands and revisions & ask the receptionist before you make an appointment.  If the up front staff doesn't know whether it's possible, they might ask the doctor & then get back to you.  I understand about not wanting to be cut open.  I've done it & it wasn't bad at all.  But if I'd had the choice, I would have chose a lap surgery.  I didn't have that choice 10 yrs ago. Amy
asumamma1
on 8/11/07 6:04 am - NC
Darnell, I had a lapband put over a regular RNY by Dr. David Voellinger in Charlotte.  I had my procedure in May of this year and I am very pleased with the results.  I don't know whether he would do this over a "mini" or not---but you should check him out.  My original surgery was done open, but Dr. V was able to do the revision lap.  Hope this helps!
Most Active