stomaphyx

Cathy W.
on 8/7/07 2:06 pm
Hi Susie, Don't worry about asking questions.  It isn't a problem at all.   As far as how long the restriction of my new StomaphyX procedure, they just don't know yet.  It is such a new procedure that they don't have any long-term post-ops yet.  However, I've asked my surgeon and others the same question.  They believe this will be a long-term fix.   If we follow the rules of eating smaller amounts more frequently throughout the day, that will enhance the probability of success with the procedure.  I was a meal eater so I thought eating less more frequently would be a problem.  So far, I actually like it better.  I'm never very far away from my next meal.  The fasteners are meant to be permanent.  However, if something happens to all fasteners, we will still have our new StomaphyX pouch that the fasteners created.  Once the plications (pleats) are created and the tissues fuse together, there will be more or less two rows of protection. To avoid the possibility of stretching, it is important to eat smaller meals more frequently so we don't compromise our new pouch by overfilling.   I definitely feel the restriction like I did with my RNY.  It is great to have that again.  I want to protect that restriction by the way I eat.   I'm almost six years post-op and I noticed a trend in the quantity I could eat and the absence of the satiety.  I was alarmed and got it checked out with an endoscopy.  It confirmed what I already suspected and there were issues with my original RNY.  Rather than wait until I gained more and more weight, I was proactive in getting this done.  I'm so glad that I did.  Like I said before, I would get this procedure every year if I had to in order to feel like I do today.  The StomaphyX has allowed me to be in control of my food and not my food controlling me any longer.   Anything else, just let me know!   Thanks, Cathy
Amyiable
on 8/7/07 7:15 pm
Cathy, so you eat at set times, or do you eat when hungry?  Thanks. Amy
Cathy W.
on 8/9/07 12:56 pm

Amy, In the beginning, they want to make sure you get in as much protein as possible.  Right after the procedure, I didn't want to eat.  However, I know protein is important in healing.  For the first few days, even though I wasn't especially hungry, I ate at intervals throughout the day.  After the first few days, I transitioned to eating when I was hungry.  If it were more than a few hours since my last meal, I did eat a meal. Today I transitioned to Phase 2.  I get to eat a wider variety of food such as moist chicken, fish, soft vegetables (like canned green beans, for example), scrambled egg, banana, melon, and berries.  At this point post-op, I am eating when I'm hungry.   Of course, water intake is the same at 64 ounces of water per day.  It took only a few days to get back to that quantity. Cathy

lauralisi
on 8/9/07 10:49 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hi, Cathy Thank you for your informative posts.  They are a BIG help!
Cathy W.
on 8/9/07 12:58 pm
I'm glad you find them helpful.  That's what it is all about is us being there for each other.   Cathy
lbuegeler
on 8/9/07 12:38 am
Hi Cathy, I am comtemplating having the StomaPhyX. I am 4 years out of Roux-n-Y. I  wanted to see if your weight loss since your stomaphyX was as rapid as with the original surgery? Lori
Cathy W.
on 8/9/07 1:04 pm
Hi Lori, My weight loss isn't the same as my original surgery because I weigh a lot (and I mean a lot!) less than I did pre-op.  So far, I can tell that I have lost but not sure how much.  I haven't weighed yet so I can eat for a few days of the Phase 2 diet foods.  However, I know I've lost in just two weeks! One of the best results is feeling the restriction that I felt from my RNY and the satiety.  I hadn't felt that in a long time so I'm thoroughly enjoying those results. Cathy  
Nita S.
on 8/9/07 12:42 pm - Avondale, AZ
Hi Cathy, My name is Nita and I am having my stomaphyx on Saturday.  Can you tell me a bit about the recovery part, did you have a sore throat, any abdominal pain etc..  i would like to know what I might expect, I know that everyone is different, but it does not hurt to ask.   Nita in Phoenix

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Cathy W.
on 8/9/07 1:12 pm
Hi Nita, Congratulations on your procedure this Saturday.   The recovery was so easy.  I had only a slight sore throat that went away less than 24 hours after the procedure.  From having the procedure, it was less  sore than when I have a cold.  My voice was a little bit raspy but that didn't last very long and wasn't obvious probably to anyone but me.   No abdominal pain at all.  I took some liquid Tylenol when I went to bed the night after the procedure but didn't need it.  I took it just in case I woke up with pain but I didn't.   The only problem that I had was with nausea but that is due to the anesthesia.  I don't handle the anesthesia very well so I had problems with nausea for a few days.  The doctor gave me a patch to use and some medication for it.  The nausea I experienced is the same as when I had c-sections with my kids.  The nausea had nothing to do with the procedure. I am astonished at how easy it was.  I flew home the day after my surgery.  I was a bit tired but a lot of that was from the anti-nausea medication I took.   I look forward to reading your post about your experience post-StomaphyX. All the best to you on Saturday!   Cathy  
BeachPat
on 8/9/07 7:47 pm
I had the StomaphyX procedure 3 days ago.  The operation went well, although it was more intense and painful than I thought it would be. I woke up with a lot of pain and nausea. Now, I am just very sore; it even hurts to breathe deeply. But I have NO regrets and am feeling better every day. I have resumed almost all normal activities; I just sleep a lot and am sore through my chest and stomach area.  I have no trouble eating  the 2/3 cup of the foods allowed, so I'm going to have to be very careful to follow all the rules.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

Most Active