stomaphyx

Cathy W.
on 8/6/07 7:06 am
Stomaphyx is a new procedure and was approved in June.  Essentially, it is for RNY post-ops that have issues with their RNY pouch such as a compromised pouch, compliancy of the pouch, and/or stoma.   It is a very easy procedure.  It is much like having an endoscopy.  It can help with any pouch and stoma problems.  I had it and am doing great!  I'm very happy that I did it.  More or less, it gives you that restriction we had after having RNY and you will experience satiety, again, similar to how you felt after having RNY. If you'd like more information, you can review this website: http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/ Cathy
faybay
on 8/6/07 7:01 am - West Palm Beach, FL
How is your hunger, what can you eat.  Have you lost weight.  Thanks.
Cathy W.
on 8/6/07 8:28 am
My hunger is much different than it was before.  I still have the head hunger but with this procedure, you must ignore the head hunger in order to maximize your procedure and its results.   For the first two weeks, you are on a liquid diet.  I've lived on cottage cheese!  You could have a protein drink, chicken broth, sugar free jello, pudding, etc.  After the two weeks, you progress to "mushy" foods.  It is similar to the RNY diet newly post-op.   I feel the restriction very close to what I felt with my RNY.  I love it! If you have any other questions, let me know. Thanks, Cathy
Amyiable
on 8/6/07 10:02 pm
Cathy, thank you so much for posting your experience.  Was your surgeon was Dr. Garber?  I understand about the head hunger... I'm trying to work on that!!  Amy
Cathy W.
on 8/7/07 6:00 am
Hi Amy, My surgeon is Dr. Dean Mikami in Columbus, Ohio.  Dr. Mikami and his nurse are wonderful.  If you'd like more information, go to endosolutions.com. The procedure is so simple that any surgeon performing this procedure would be great.   It is funny how my portion perception has changed.  I made breakfast for my kids and the recipe called for one cup.  I pulled it out of the drawer and it was HUGE!  Thanks to the StomaphyX procedure, my portion sizes have changed.   For the first two weeks, I'm eating 1/4 cup meals.  Now I'm so used to the 1/4 cup portion that the 1 cup of food wouldn't be something that I would want.  That is a big benefit, among many, that I didn't anticipated the procedure would do for me.   As far as head hunger, it was a little bit hard at first but now it isn't quite as loud in my head, calling my name!!  LOL.  I got this second chance for my surgery so I want to protect the procedure.   I would have the procedure every year, if I had to, in order to feel the way I do now from the procedure and having my food in control again. Cathy
Amyiable
on 8/7/07 9:32 am
This is just so fantastic to read!!!   What you are saying would make me happy too!  Dr. Mikami did a great job!!  I can only imagine what this is like ... and it sounds great.  Yours is the best story I've read yet! I did call most of the surgeons doing the procedure ... including Dr. Mikami's office, but didn't get to talk to the doctors on the phone.   Dr. Overcash did let me consult with him on the phone & fax him my operative notes (original surgery) for discussion. So,  I'm scheduled for the procedure with Dr. Overcash on the 22nd.  My  original surgery (10 yrs ago) gave me a big pouch.  BIG. (no restriction at all)   Dr. Overcash says he'll definitely make it as small as he can.  There is some question however,  about how deep my pouch is.  The endoscopic tool is just so long, and in theory, there could be places the tool won't reach too.  I hope your pouch stays small for a LONG time!  What an opportunity for better health!  Thanks. Amy
Cathy W.
on 8/7/07 9:51 am
Thanks Amy.  I feel so great due to the StomaphyX so I wanted to share it.   Congratulations on your big date coming up.  Please let me know how you doing.  I'll be thinking of you on the 22nd.  Dr. Overcash is a great surgeon so I know you'll do wonderful. It has changed my perspective on so many things just given this second chance at my surgery.   I hope your new pouch will stay nice and small long, long-term.  I agree - this is a wonderful opportunity for better health.  I'm making the most of it! Thanks, Cathy
Shelley S.
on 8/6/07 1:37 pm - Belmont, CA
Cathy, Thanks so much for posting.  You are truly giving me hope of losing weight again.  I had my original RNY in 2000, lost 100 gained 50.  The surgeon told me it would be an easy procedure for me, but it's great to hear success out there.  Did you have any insurance? I wish you the best! Shelley
Cathy W.
on 8/7/07 6:04 am
Hi Shelley, Thanks for your thoughtful post.  Like you, before my procedure, I felt hopeless and out of control.  Without knowing your particular medical history, it seems like you could benefit from the StomaphyX.  For me, I feel that same restriction I felt after I'd had my RNY.  I love it!!!   The first best thing I've personally ever done for myself is having RNY surgery.  The second best thing is having the StomaphX.   Thanks for your post. Cathy
Susie221
on 8/7/07 10:54 am, edited 8/7/07 10:55 am - UK
Hi Cathy, Thanks for posting the news that you have had the StomaphyX  Would you know how long the restriction will last now you have had this done ?  Will it be the same as RNY? and eventually the pouch will stretch  ? Would we be able to have Stomaphyx  more than one time ?  Sorry for all the questions but I have never really had that much in the way of restriction,was able to eat xmas dinner at 6 weeks out. My weight loss is 66lbs and am now 9 months out ,my surgeon thinks that this is an acceptable weight loss considering that I am aged 52, I was hoping for a bigger weight loss than this and still have a bmi of over 41 which  still  makes me extremely obese  Did you gain weight after you original op ? and if so how much ? Many Thanks  Susie x
Most Active