Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

randy S.
on 11/24/08 12:04 am - brooklyn, NY
dear Lori,
I think I am going to go for it.  I live in Brooklyn NY and my youngest id 6 so I will nto have to be away for long.
I just e-mailed Dr. Greenbaum with a few questions.  I hope he will reply.
Thanx
bradshaw0506
on 11/24/08 1:29 am - Chicago, IL
He will respond.  He's is one of the most remarlable physicians I've ever worked with in my personal life and in my career.

There are several of us Dr. G patients out there, so please come on over to the Duodenal Switch message board and start doing doing some reading.   It's a very active board and "most' folks are very informative.

Keep in touch Randy!

I MY DS!!!

Susan512
on 11/23/08 8:14 pm
Thanks for posting this - albeit a long time ago - I like that the replies have been throughout the years.  I had an open VBG - Vertical Banded Gastroplasty - in October of 1999.  I lost 100lbs in a year and a half.  I lead a wonderful and active lifestyle where I loved going to the gym and many outdoor activities.

Then I got pregnant and had Hyperemesis Gravidarum - severe nausea the entire pregnancy.  I then had another unplanned pregnancy also with HG.  I believe the severe and painful nausea that caused me to vomit multiple times a day (for about 16 months - 8mos ea pregnancy), is the reason for my complications now.

I have since gained all my weight back - my BMI is now 42.1.  I have painful acid reflux so I take antacids (prilosec, etc), which prevents vitamin absorption and now I have Anemia, I also have sciatica (back pain), sleep apnea, and obviously foot pain.

I am looking for a revision surgery - I found a surgeon and am waiting to find out if he will accept me, and then will find out if my complications are enough for my insurance to pay for the revision. Dr. Tim Faulkenberry in Austin, Texas.

I am interested in learning more about the StomaphyX procedure, as well as any other revision possibilities (Dr. Faulkenberry has been trained in the SX procedure).

My other concern is that my stepdaughter weighs more than I do and her mother is considering lap-band for her - although I think she needs to understand why she eats before she obtains the surgery.  She is only 16, and so I have been begging her mother to wait until she has the brain capacity and maturity to handle such a procedure.

Congratulations on your success with your Lap Band!  ~Susan
pepsi98
on 11/24/08 2:33 am - Norwich, CT
On November 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Pacific Time, Susan512 wrote:
Thanks for posting this - albeit a long time ago - I like that the replies have been throughout the years.  I had an open VBG - Vertical Banded Gastroplasty - in October of 1999.  I lost 100lbs in a year and a half.  I lead a wonderful and active lifestyle where I loved going to the gym and many outdoor activities.

Then I got pregnant and had Hyperemesis Gravidarum - severe nausea the entire pregnancy.  I then had another unplanned pregnancy also with HG.  I believe the severe and painful nausea that caused me to vomit multiple times a day (for about 16 months - 8mos ea pregnancy), is the reason for my complications now.

I have since gained all my weight back - my BMI is now 42.1.  I have painful acid reflux so I take antacids (prilosec, etc), which prevents vitamin absorption and now I have Anemia, I also have sciatica (back pain), sleep apnea, and obviously foot pain.

I am looking for a revision surgery - I found a surgeon and am waiting to find out if he will accept me, and then will find out if my complications are enough for my insurance to pay for the revision. Dr. Tim Faulkenberry in Austin, Texas.

I am interested in learning more about the StomaphyX procedure, as well as any other revision possibilities (Dr. Faulkenberry has been trained in the SX procedure).

My other concern is that my stepdaughter weighs more than I do and her mother is considering lap-band for her - although I think she needs to understand why she eats before she obtains the surgery.  She is only 16, and so I have been begging her mother to wait until she has the brain capacity and maturity to handle such a procedure.

Congratulations on your success with your Lap Band!  ~Susan
Hi,
I had a gastric stapling in 1982 , lost 120 lbs and regained it all back.  I am scheduled to have a band placed over the old bypass on 12/10 at Tufts in Boston.  I had Stomaphyx on 2/08 and had no restriction, so I opted for the band when weighing all the possibilities out.  I have "spoken" to several on the forums here who have had the band over the bypass and are having good results, so I hope to be oneof them soon.

I wish you luck as you choose the WLS that is right for you!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

busibea
on 3/5/09 8:32 pm
I had the stomaphyx procedure 10-2-09.  I have lost 40 pounds to date.  I am not hungry all the time and I now eat smaller portions.  It was painless and has been great!.  I do watch what I eat, as we all know if you eat junk all day you will gain. I have about 25 to 30 pounds to go to be where I want to be.  Before when my opening(stomach to intestine) I was alwayshungry.  I would eat and within 1/2 hour be hungry again. Now I can go for hours without  feeling hungry.   I hope this helps!.  Yes I did pay for this myself.   Bea
StefRand
on 6/8/09 12:31 am
Hello--
I am researching the StomaphyX from here in Brussels, Belgium.  I would like for everyone who has posted here and stated that they have had the StomaphyX to please email me so that I may obtain info. to help others who are considering this procedure.

Yours is actually the best info. and results that I have found.  I am posting this on June 8, 2009 and would like an update from you since your procedure on 10-2-09.

Thank you and in a few weeks I will post on here my findings concerning whether or not this procedure is feasible for those who are considering it.

[email protected]
Brussels, Belgium
JodiA1955
on 8/13/09 4:39 am
I had the Stomaphyx July 17, 2009.  I didn't do as much research as I should have.  My husband and I paid out of our pocket as insurance doesn't cover it.

I lost 20 lbs the first week.  that was 3 weeks ago.  I haven't lost anything since.  I am following protocol. 
I originally had the VBG in 1986 and lost 20 lbs.  I then had the Gastric Bypass in 1996 and lost 170lbs. 

I got married and pregnant. Long story short I gained back 120lbs of my weight.

I'm concerned about the lack of weight loss this time around.  The Doctor said it would not fall off like it  did the first time and I was going to have to work for it.  I'm not sure why he would know this. 
Jodi A1955
halloweenjean
on 8/27/09 10:51 am - sandy, UT
It seems a few people have had this experience. Makes me wonder if I ought to just go on a liquid/jello/broth diet for 2-3 weeks and pretend that I'm post stomaphyx and lose some weight that way so I can save the 10k.

If there is no danger to a 2 week liquid diet with stomaphyx, is there danger in a 2 week liquid diet without it?
maryalida
on 5/18/09 6:40 am
I just contacted a new bariatric Dr. about the SX procedure.  I have an appointment with a nutritionist (Ethan) on June 11th, 2009.  I was told he could schedule me for the SX procedure at that time.  I'm seeing Dr. Lana Nelson in Norman, OK.  I was seeing Dr. Ronnie Kieth, in the same office, but he doesn't do SX.  I had my surgery 10/13/03.  I went from 280 to 140.  I now weigh 201.  I had a endoscopy done in March.  The Dr. said my stoma is very large.  That is why I want SX.  The Dr. also said that my pouch is still small.  Oh, by the way, I had my original surgery through Pacific Bariatrics in San Deigo, CA.

I would love to hear more about the SX procedure.

Thanks,
Maryalida
Holdenville, OK 
lyndapyr
on 8/25/09 3:52 am
My stepdaughter is considering the SX procedure. Have you had the procedure yet and if so, what have your results been to  date? She had bypass many years ago. How did you locate a surgeon?

Thanks
Lynda
Mabelvale, Ar
Most Active