Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

robinnlea
on 10/16/08 7:31 am - covington, WA
Hi Fran,

I have the same symptoms that you do regarding the gastric bypass.  I am considering the stomaphyx.  Is it working for you?

Regards,

Robinn
ras
on 11/13/11 11:02 am
Did you have the stomaphyx? How has that worked for you? I just had it done Oct 25 2010 and I am terribly dissapointed! I can't tell I had anything done. I am still hungry and can eat as much as before. Could you please let me know. Thanks Reta Shaver
Dee J.
on 4/28/08 10:42 am - NYC, NY
Hello Everyone, I am also looking into the StomaphyX procedure. Has anyone heard from a person that has had this procedure? I have heard that this procedure is not covered by insurance. Is this true? What are the out of pocket costs? I assume all pre-op tests are covered....let's hope so. Dee
Arizonadck
on 5/2/08 1:26 am - Chicago, IL
I haven't had the StomaphyX but am looking into it. My stoma is wide open.  I was going to have the ROSE (the tool manufacturer is in Cincinnati & was underwriting the first 20 people).  I travelled there but during the procedure they had to stop - my pouch was too small for the tool to fit - and yet an EGD I had 3 mos prior showed I was a perfect candidate.  I was devastated.  Can anyone recommend a doctor(s) who does the StomaphyX (I'm in the Chicago area).  I would hope the tool is different and will fit in my pouch.  I had open RNY in June 2005.  I lost 150 & have put back 35.  I'm terrified of gaining the rest.  I have a consultation w/my bypass doctor next week to look into a bypass revision.  He only does them open which I don't look forward to - recovering from an open is so hard.  I don't know if he'll see a medical necessity.  I just have to do something.  I'll let you know.  Car
sqshblsm
on 5/14/08 12:25 pm
I had gastric bypass surgery just about 10 years ago and have regained about 50% of my weight. I looked here locally in NH for some help but so far all the places I checked won't do revisional gastric surgery - unless there's been a breakdown of the original surgery. I have a consulation next week at Tufts Medical Center in Boston for the Stomaphx procedure. I do know that it is not covered by insurance and costs between $9000 - $10500 - depending where you go. I had talked to a clinic in Long Island NY that charges around $9000 and Tufts is quoting $10500 cash up front. I'm hoping to get some statistics about success - but not so sure what kind of numbers they will have as that it is my understanding that Tufts has only been doing this procedure since the beginning of '08. I am hoping that if I don't find Stomaphx a practical solution for myself that the Tufts surgeon will suggest another option - such as a LapBand. I honestly don't think I could do another open surgery - the recovery is brutal. Anyway - I will post an update after my consult. One of my concerns is not being able to find anyone that has had this done - so if I do decide to go with this, I will let you all know how it all goes.
newtonb4
on 3/12/09 12:53 pm
My insurance in NY is paying. I have Oxford Liberty plan. Scheduled for this on 4/16/09. Barbara
MsCin
on 5/14/08 9:33 pm, edited 5/14/08 9:36 pm
With using my connections with the NIH, OSU, UM, UCLA, Mayo, Hurley, StomaphyX and the ROSE procedures have very little statistics published and the results are not long term.  Most loose the first 2 months and then stop loosing and gain their weight back once they return to solid foods.  What you read online from the makers/patent holders of the instruments will not tell you anything bad about the surgery because then they would be out of business (makes sense to me). Personnally I was about 95% sure I wanted one of these procedures.  But I cannot justify paying out of pocket (in my case $5K) to loose 20 lbs in 2 months and then gain it back.  Now I am in limbo on what I want to do.   I do think the 5 day pouch test http://www.5daypouchtest.com/  might be something to consider.  5 days is not going to kill anyone.  It sounds reasonable to remind us on how we ate when we first had our surgeries.  My biggy thing is having something to drink while I eat.  We are suppose to not drink 30 mins before and 30 mins after we eat. I have tried this over the past 2 days and I do feel much fuller longer. 
bradshaw0506
on 5/14/08 11:30 pm - Chicago, IL
Wow!  Someone saw this from last summer!  In the meantime I've had an RNY to DS revision, it's the best thing I've ever done.  As a matter of fact my RNY pouch was in such bad shape that it could have effected my life in a couple of years...don't want to scare anyone with that though.

I MY DS!!!

cheyenne16
on 7/12/08 2:04 am - Post Falls, ID

I had Gastric Bypass surgery in 2002 and went from 252 to 122.  Within the past couple of years I hit 161.  I had Stomaphyx in June of 2007 and lost 17 lbs.  I quickly gained it all back.  Who wouldn't lose 17 lbs. on liquids?!!

Since my weight gain, I went on Atkins 3 months ago and have lost 19 lbs. and am now within 10-12 lbs. of my goal weight.

I have some great recipes to make life on high protein seem "normal" and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.  The new Atkins bars and treats are awesome and my favorite recipe for a huge bakery size muffin that is zero net carbs keeps me on track.  It's made with flax seed meal and you can make a variety of flavors, my favorites being Caramel Pecan, Banana Walnut, Chocolate Brownie, Orange and Blueberry.    Using Torani Syrups and small amounts of nuts, flavor extracts, etc. keep these muffins under 4 grams of carb.  I also make lasagna from the Suzanne Somers recipe, changing it up a bit and you'd never know it's not just regular lasagna.  The net 4 carb bread is good also and I made chicken cashew or egg salad sandwiches often.  I even eat peanut butter and SF jam sandwhiches.  I have no problem with 1-2 lbs. weight loss per week and now that I'm closer to goal, it's slowing way down but that's ok because I plan on eating this way indefinately!

Wishing you GREAT success in your efforts to find what works for you.

Cheyenne

StefRand
on 6/8/09 12:12 am
I have also been researching the StomaphyX from here in Brussels, Belgium.  The company that makes the instrument for the StomaphyX has a website here in Europe and in the states.  I have emailed numerous times and can NEVER get straight answers.  But, I will tell you that 75% of the doctors that are listed NO LONGER do the StomaphyX because of the low weight loss numbers and the fact that it doesn't do much to change your health status.  Here in Belgium (where it all started 3 years ago) the test trials showed initial weight loss for a few months then very little to none.

Please, if you would, provide me with where you obtained your info. on the 2 month weight loss and then it tapers off after the patient returns to solid food.

I am going to take your advise on the 5daypouchtest and get back on track.  I really don't think putting $5k -- $12K on a 30 to 60 minute procedure that will only benefit me for 2-3 months is the answer.

Thanks for the info. and advice.
Most Active