Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

TheePagan1
on 3/16/09 8:58 pm - Patchogue, NY
Hello:

Good luck with your surgery.
I am considering it now, I will be making an appointment with my original surgeon Dr. Eliiot Goodman, who now works out of Beth Isreal in NYC.
I had open RNY 2/200, and have gained about 15 lbs. back in the past year, and dieting does not help. I am also feeling some sensations on the right side of my stomach, where I shouldnt be feeling anything. Perhaps something is leaking, or I am just too stretched out.
I have Oxford as well and am hoping they do not give me a problem.

Any advice on how you handled the insurance would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Alexis
StacysMom
on 3/16/09 9:04 pm
 Be sure and read the two recent medical studies on RNY revisions that I have posted here:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886215/Everyone-should- read-this-Revision-Procedures-for-Failed/

and

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886208/Great-article-on-RNY-revisions-from-Bariatric-Journal/

RNY failure is more prevalent than anybody ever thought it would be and these articles offer insight on the types of revisions available and the risks and outcomes.  Never hurts to have the latest research in your pocket when you go and see your doctor.

Cheers!
TheePagan1
on 3/16/09 9:00 pm - Patchogue, NY
Post Date: 3/17/09 3:58 am
Hello:

Good luck with your surgery.
I am considering it now, I will be making an appointment with my original surgeon Dr. Eliiot Goodman, who now works out of Beth Isreal in NYC.
I had open RNY 2/200, and have gained about 15 lbs. back in the past year, and dieting does not help. I am also feeling some sensations on the right side of my stomach, where I shouldnt be feeling anything. Perhaps something is leaking, or I am just too stretched out.
I have Oxford as well and am hoping they do not give me a problem.

Any advice on how you handled the insurance would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Alexis
newtonb4
on 6/17/09 10:46 am
Hi,
I had the stomophyX  as scheduled and followed the 2 week not eating except broth and jello and lost about 10 or 12 lbs. Went onto second stage, eating just soft food and was not getting satisfied at all. Dr. told me to eat raw veg and chew well. To make a long story short, it did not work for me at all with regard to my feeling the sense of fullness we felt after original surgery. My original surgeon told me not to bother to have this as it doesn't work and said he had to end up "banding" all the people he had in a trial where he did the stomophyX and other similar procedures. So, I hav enot gained any of the 12 lbs. back which is good but am also not heavy enough for surgeon to get me approved for the lap band. What I am in the midst of doing is the 5 day pouch test which I am hoping will get me back on track since my pouch was made quite a bit smaller with the stomophyX. Not sure why it did not work very well for me. Dr who did it said he may try to make it smaller still, but I am sure insurance won't pay again. I am on 3rd day of the pouch test and have a good feeling about it so if you'd like to keep in touch, just email me at [email protected]. Did you go to dr. Goodman? Take care, Barbara
nangab
on 1/6/09 5:49 am - Briarcliff Manor, NY
Dr Goyal in NJ charges $8,000 but was told that they are lowering their rates. No insurace is paying for the Stomaphyx what I was told. Hopet his helps.
newtonb4
on 3/12/09 12:41 pm
My insurance, Oxford is paying for procedure in NYC. Barbara
newtonb4
on 3/12/09 12:39 pm
Hi, Dr. Leitman at Beth Israel is doing mine and Oxford Liberty plan approved procedure. Have heard lots of conflicting things about this procedure and my original surgeon is not a proponent of it and was doing several trials with this and other similar procedures. He said he ended up banding all his patients who were in the study and they were "happy". I want to be "happy" too! Barbara
sch64858
on 7/9/08 1:37 am
Your statistics are astoundingly like mine.  I began at 387 lbs also, lost down to around 185 and am now at about 240 after having my surgery in 2002.  I am having my upper GI to prepare for stomaphyx surgery. I have been researching all the options and this seems like my best chance.  I will update you on it as I go alone
ballerina2
on 7/27/08 9:02 am
I had The Stomaphyx on July 10th 2008.  It was pain-less and incision-less.  I am down 22 pounds in 17 days.  I am following the dietary instructions exactly.  

frangina
on 9/24/08 1:39 am
I also had gastric bypass 5 1/2 years ago.  Ihave gained almost 50 pounds.  I had an endoscopy done and my stoma and pouch were measured.  Both were stretched out and much larger than they should be.  I eat, never feel full, and am starving only an hour later.  I was told that my food is just going right through the pouch because the stoma is so large.
So, yesterday I had the Stomphyx procedure done at Somerset Medical center in NJ.  My surgeon is Dr. Mehta. (he is a doll by the way)  He said that he was able to make the stoma and the pouch smaller.  We will just have to see how it goes.  The only other answers to my problem would be a band or total revision.   I think this is a great first step.

Fran
Most Active