Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

bradshaw0506
on 7/31/07 12:39 pm - Chicago, IL
So back to the actual thread topic... For those of you who have lost after being revised from RNY to a Lap Band or who have had the Stomaphyx procedure, how much have you lost thus far?  How has it helped you get back on track? There are a lot of us that would love to hear your feedback. Lori~
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/07 1:57 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
My RNY might as well have been open because I had 9 incisions because the doctor had to remove a lot of scar tissue.  The open RNY and the Laproscopic RNY are the very same surgery but it's just easier for the doctor to do it open especially with a revision.  You won't be sorry if you have the RNY.  I love it and I have never had one sick moment or any complications at all. I am losing continuously and I feel good.  I just can't eat sugar or too many fats or I feel sick and get the runs but if I eat good food, I feel wonderful.   It's the best thing I have ever done.  Let me know how it goes. Hugs, Esther
Amyiable
on 8/2/07 12:21 am
I've had two open surgeries 10 yrs ago ... what I've found is that open surgeries cause adhesions.  I have a LOT  of adhesions.  These adhesions can interfere with any other surgery I may want to have done in the future, including another revision.   I spoke with one doctor about a 3rd revision & he did not want to touch the small bowel for more bypass, because of the adhesions.   This doctor was only willing to put on a band by lap.  The open surgeries are easier for the surgeons, & don't take as much time.  I don't like the longer anesthesia needed for a lap, but I think if it were me, I would go for a lap revision.   Shorter healing, less adhesions.  This is just my opinion.  There are plenty of doctors out there who will do lap revisions.  Dr. Elariny is a good lap  WLS surgeon & he does a lof of revisions by lap.  Amy
ewashingt
on 7/2/08 3:40 am
I have just started to read all of the comments about the Gastric.  I had the Gastric in 2006.  Originally it was done laparcopically.  i immediately had complication (from previous medical conditions) and had to have it redone.  This time it was open surgery.  I have no complaints.  I had thought about the gastric before but was never heavy enough to have it.  But my ilments eventually took me there.  I have no complaints and i would do it again.  I only lost like 45 pounds.  I am currenly 152 lbs from 197.  I would do it all over again if I could.  My initial weight lost was too 113 lbs.  I have over the 2 years gain some of the weigth back (obviously).  I am currently looking into the stomaphyx.  I think the benefits far outweight the risks.  As soon as I find the doctor.  (My bariatiric surgeon does not perform the revision).  Good Luck
anglyn
on 12/31/09 7:33 pm - Dyersburg, TN
You were 197lbs and decided on WLS?  That must be a typo.
JoanTischer
on 8/29/08 2:49 pm
What is the difference between a mini rny and a regular rny?
lauriegrizzard
on 10/1/08 2:52 am - South Kortright, NY
hi my name is laurie i had open gastroplasty with bypass same as rny in 1998 i lost 150 lbs and i'd do it again i  struggle with 30 lb weightloss and gain. weighed 308 date of surgery now weight 168 i got abcess  but i was told of that  being possible it healed everyone is different i have never regretted having my surgery
AMSAMISSY
on 12/20/08 1:45 am - Minot, ND
Esther,  I had an open Roux-en-Y surgery in 1999 and I lost 115 lbs.  I have an incision scar from just below my breast bone to my belly button and it took a pretty long while to recover from the surgery but I would do it again in a heartbeat because it gave me my life back.  I went from a size 28 to a 10/12 and I felt like it was all worth it.   Unfortunately, I have gained back 100 lbs.  It all started with Diet soda.  My surgeon said NO SODA, and I thought I can have one 12 oz. became 100 oz. then came the chocolate, the sugar, the sugar, the sugar, and It was just like a drug, or self abuse I guess.  I am a classic reason they STRESS psychological support, and evaluation prior to the surgery.  I have had chronic pain since then, and I was using percoset quite frequently.  My surgeon never told me about B12 vitamins, AC&E, or a multivitamin.  He did tell me about CItracal but it is ten years later and I just found out about it and started taking it daily and guess what my pain is less and so is my depression.  I know I sound like a basket case but I am not one now. 

I truely would do the procedure again if the opportunity was available.  The only other thing I would say is that you make sure you have the patient support meetings as a continuous resource.  I didn't have that because I got my surgery in Utah and moved to Arizona about two months later.  I  have never been to one of those meetings but my friends who have had this surgery went faithfully and they are doing AWESOME.  Just a suggestion.

God bless you on your journey and whatever you decide to do I hope it helps you to live a long and healthy life.
April B.
on 8/27/09 1:05 am - Bakersfield, CA
I had the open rny about 4 1/2 years ago and have NO complaint my surgery went very well with very little pain , after I left the hospital I never even took pain meds. and was at the grcery store that same day! I had 20 staples, the only "problem was when they took them out one opened a little and the scar is weird looking there..lol. Everyone is different but I would prefer to have the open so they can "see" what they are doing! Good luck with everything!
Zee Starrlite
on 8/3/07 4:40 am
Only similar to the Lap Band in terms of it being a strictly restrictive weight loss surgery.  The Vertical Banded Gastroplasty has an 80% failure rate.  The stomach is stapled all the way down and a non-adjustable ring is placed.  I can't imagine living with a tight ring that could not adjust.  I do understand that stomach stapling was of its time and the only thing like it available but that surgery $ucked for mostly everyone.    With the Lap Band if you are too tight and puking, it is your own fault - that should not remain anyones state of being and a simple "unfill" can correct that under normal cir****tances. Anyways I am so glad that your revision to RNY is successful and that you are happy.  You surely deserve it after all you have been through. Much Love, Peace, & Harmony, Leila
Most Active