Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

jenny P.
on 8/27/09 4:05 am - comanche, ok
Hi, Lynda.
I had the procedure 7/10. I had originally lost 153 lbs with the RNY back in 2004. I had a baby in 2006 and began to gain back some weight. It just went down hill from there. Back into old habits and before I knew it I had gained back nearly 50 lbs of what I had lost!!! My surgeon's office began doing the StomaphyX in July and I was one of the first to have them do it on me. That was kind of scary but I figured I had placed alot of faith in them in 2004 I could do it again. All that said here are the answers to your questions. I have currently lost 28 pounds of that 46 I gained back from RNY. Yes, that means I am 18 pounds away from achieving my goal in less than two months. The surgeon who performed it on me is located in the office of my original RNY surgeon. I obviously would trust either with my life.
I was out of pocket $6900.00.
From what I can tell from reading alot of posted information on the StomaphyX the key is a complete program to make the StomaphyX work. The procedure itself is a tool and needs to be presented as part of a complete program to work. SO far I have had success. My goal with this procedure was to get me back on track and I feel that is what I have accomplished. I used to say I hope to continue. Now I say I know that I can continue. Good luck to your daughter!
Jen
lyndapyr
on 8/27/09 11:55 pm
Thank you very much for the information!!
Lynda
funrn55
on 9/26/09 11:21 am - Folsom, CA
Hello!,
     I had my Stomaphyx procedure done on Sept. 18th,2009..so 8 days ago.I have lost 16 lbs so far.My Dr. has me on meal replacement shakes for 8 weeks so that the new pouch will heal nicely.The procedure was done under general anesthesia,and endoscopically..so no incisions.The only discomfort was having a really sore throat for about 4 days from the breathing tube and the scope.I origannly had an open Roux-en-Y in 2001,and lost 125  lbs that I kept off for over 5 years.During that time I had taken up smoking again.When I quit,I gained about 50 lbs back in a 2 year period.This is my second chance now,and I am going to get down to 165.Hope this helps.
twyndoc
on 11/1/09 1:49 pm - Coos Bay, OR
How are you doing now? What kind of after care diet are you on on? How much have you lost so far? I am having it in a few weeks.
roguesavant
on 12/1/09 12:09 am

I had a stomaphyx procedure done in February 2008, as a revision to a RNY done in March 1996.  I'd regained approximately half of the weight I'd initially lost and wanted to see if I could get back down to a lower point.  The procedure worked a little at first, primarily because of the liquid diet I was on for the first few weeks during the healing process, but when I went back to eating solid food the effects of the procedure wore off and I was right back where I was. I can't say with any certainty that it didn't stop me from gaining more weight, but it didn't help me lose, either.  All in all, it was a $10,000 out of pocket wash.  I am now looking at the possiblity of a band, which is what I wanted prior to the stomaphyx, but my insurance company wouldn't cover any revisions and the stomaphyx was the cheaper route.

alovely157
on 11/21/11 11:55 pm - indianapolis, IN
I had the stomaphyx Oct 28 2011 and so far I've lost 16 lbs!  I can definately tell a difference.  So far no side effects except for the burping .    My goal is to lose another 10lbs by Christmas!  I'll keep you posted.
lynn68
on 12/21/11 6:46 am
You stated that you had stomaphx October of  2011, what are your results as of December 21, 2011. I had Gastric Bypass January of 2005, I did not lose as much as I had hoped, but alos gained some weight back over the years. I would love to lose 50 pounds. Also did you pay out of packet or covered by insurance?  

Does anyone know of any physicians that perorm this procedure in Louisiana

Thanks

Lynn
Gail S.
on 9/14/12 11:26 am - Benton, IL
I had open rny gastric bypass Feb 2002... initially I lost from 400lbs down to 218. After approximately 7 months I felt I was starving all the time.. I found out that my stoma was bigger than it was supposed to be and according to the radiologist, probably never felt full. Now I am back to 364 lbs.. I went through a time of 6 years of abusing alcohol, which I read can be common, if psychological issues are not taken care of. Now I have discovered painfully that I have some hernias. Will find out from my dr Monday where.. but am sure they are in my intestines..
I am wondering about some revision that will allow my stoma to be scarred smaller and/or pouch reduction, if needed. At the time of my upper GI, my pouch was still small... any info would be helpful. I am in Northern Idaho...
AnnGrace
on 12/17/12 8:51 am

I had the gastric bypass open back in 2001.  The surgery was a huge success with no complications.  I lost 156 lbs.  In the last 2 years I started gaining weigh back , so I really need to get rid of 60 lbs.  Now I am researchng the Stomaphx procedure.

tina01
on 2/7/13 1:51 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi,

I was wondering if you have found any info on the Stomaphyx?  I had it done back in 2007 (08?).  I'm having some problems now in my upper left tummy and will have some tests done, but I'm scared to death it's the Stomaphyx (I have gained 22# in 3 months).  My doctor was out of state, and I'm finding cannot practice anymore... VERY SCARY.  So, I came back on this website, which has always been awesome, and have found nothing but negative on stomaphyx.  I had good experience with it until now (not even sure yet that is what my issue is).  I had gained 45, andlost it all within 5 months. 

Let me know what you are leaning towards.  Do we have other options?

Take care

Most Active