Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

bradshaw0506
on 7/31/07 1:10 am - Chicago, IL
I'm curious to know how many of you who've had the stomaphyx procedure (& others like it) have actually lost weight, more than just 10-20 pounds? How about any of you who've had lap band over RNY? I would love to hear about your results.  I'm sure other would as well.
tina01
on 7/31/07 4:41 am - Wilmington, DE

I was just going to post the exact question about Stomaphyx. My wls doc says the procedure is NOT proven to work, especially long term.  He says he will not be training to use it. I know I will have the same mental issues afterwards, that I had after the bypass, but.. given a second chance, I'd like to take it. Thanks to all *****spond. T

Cheryl J.
on 8/4/07 10:01 am
How can your Doctor say its not PROVEN to work and especially long term, if this procedure is brand new. There are no long term results yet, its not even a year old.
tina01
on 8/4/07 12:05 pm - Wilmington, DE
This procedure is new, but  in the US. It's been done for much longer in other countries, such as Belgium.  But the use of stomaphyx for gastric bypass patients is not near what it is in the US (we all know about the obesity rate in the US)   So the statistics are just not there.. yet.
Amyiable
on 8/4/07 1:28 pm
It would be nice to know what European patients say about StomaphyX.  I wasn't able to find anything with Google.  Perhaps they call it something else ... or language changes the name used. Amy
Cheryl J.
on 8/4/07 2:05 pm
Right, but I dont see how any Dr. can give their critique on the StomaphyX especially if its still so new.
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 4:46 pm - AZ

Because so far the results suck donkey dicks.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/07 7:04 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
Eleven years ago I had a surgery called the Gastroplasty (similar to the Lap-Band) where the stomach is stapled and a ring about the size of a dime separates the pouch from the stomach.  I lost weight at first and then I reached a point where I couldn't eat good food because I would throw it up.  Because I was hungry, I would eat candy and potatoe chips or ice cream or junk that would dissolve and go down easily and as a result of this way of eating, I started gaining all my weight back. On May 7th I had a revision to the RNY and now I am enjoying "GOOD FOOD" and can no longer eat the junk, sweets or starches or I get sick.  I have already lost 54 pounds and 7 inches off my waist, 6 1/2 off my hips and 3 off my legs.       This is the best thing that I have ever done and as I continue to lose weight, I feel better and better each day. I would do it over again and again. Hugs, Esther
darnell239
on 7/31/07 10:28 am - Columbia, SC
Esther, congratulations on your weight loss.  Seven years ago I had the mini-gastric bypass and I did not lose the amount of weight I thought I would.  I recently spoke with a doctor about my previous surgery and informed me that he is familiar with the procedure I had and it was not a good procedure.  He recommended that I have the open RNY.  I am nervous about an open RNY since my previous surgery was laparscopic.  Can you tell me if your RNY was open or laparscopic?  Have you had any bad side effects or complications?  I appreciate what info you can provide.
bradshaw0506
on 7/31/07 12:35 pm - Chicago, IL
The Open RNY is the same as the Lap RNY, except for how it's performed. I had an OPEN procedure 9 years ago, and I think I would rather give birth again than go through that recovery.  Recovering from the actual incision was the worst part, I could handle a Lap procedure any day, but getting out of bed for the first couple of days after being cut open is just aweful. Sorry I'm not sugar coating it for you, but I'll never forget that feeling.  And tell me, why oh why did they send me a tiny little nurse to help my 272 pound body out of bed?  I need the big German nurse who could lift me completely.  hehehe I never had any complications or side effects.  But hey, that's just me. Lori~
Most Active